Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fast After 50

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fast After 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 11:56 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fast After 50

Thinking about getting this...

Fast After 50 by Joe Friel

For runners, cyclists, triathletes, swimmers, and cross-country skiers, getting older doesn't have to mean getting slower. Drawing from the most current research on aging and sports performance, Joe Friel—America's leading endurance sports coach—shows how athletes can race strong and stay healthy well past age 50.
  • How the body's response to training changes with age, how to adapt your training plan, and how to avoid overtraining
  • How to shed body fat and regain muscle density
  • How to create a progressive plan for training, rest, recovery, and competition
  • Workout guidelines, field tests, and intensity measurement
-Tim-
Old 06-29-16, 01:43 PM
Shotglass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Own it on Kindle - read probably 3/4 of it, skipped the training plans and such but really enjoyed the parts that I read.
Old 06-29-16, 01:48 PM
billd76
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have read it twice. Old but good book. Also, Dr. Jack Daniels book on running is a good read. Both have great detail on V02 max, lactate threshold, etc....
Old 06-29-16, 02:30 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have it and didn't finish it. Seemed to be repetitive and hyper focused. But, I have heard a lot of folks love it. Also, my goal is to make it home or back to the car when MTBing, so maybe it isn't for me. I am in good shape, just not feeling competative any more.
Old 06-29-16, 04:20 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I have it. As long as you're willing to train and add some structure with a lot of intensity to your saddle time it's useful. If, however, you're content to just go out and ride your bike at a comfortable effort don't bother with it.
Bottom line if you want to get faster, at any age, you have to get used to riding above your comfort zone.
Old 06-29-16, 06:25 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I have been running for 38 years cycling for 20 also, as we get older we slow down. Sure I can run a race or ride but not at the speed of 25 years ago. Those who enter cycling in later years can indeed improve even beyond 50 years old. All it means is that had you been cycling at 25 you would have been much faster than your improving 50 year old. Also I am biased runners take a larger hit in performance decline than cyclist.
Old 06-29-16, 07:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Thanks for the feedback.

I realized that my post might have seemed like an advertisement. I'm not related to the publisher or the author in any way. Just hoping for some feedback, that's all. Really appreciate it.

I'm not trying to race but I have used focused heart rate training with good results about 15 years ago to jump from the B to the A group and get that 6.5 hour century. I'd like to get a little quicker next year.
Old 06-29-16, 07:19 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
His other book Cycling past 50 is a bit less intense but it is information that can help if you want to improve your cycling experiences. Fast past 50 is like fine tuning the information from the first book.
Old 06-29-16, 08:02 PM
wished

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought another book, Bike for Life: How to Ride to 100--and Beyond, by Roy Wallack. Probably similar content, I have to read it in bits and pieces, just not a cover-to-cover kind of book. To be honest I'm not that fond of it, too much technical stuff and more about diet and other exercise, not much about really biking. More of a guide to balanced healthy living, which is still good advice I guess, but I was looking more for bike advice for us less-than-youthful crowd. Guess I will just keep relying on this forum for that!
Old 06-30-16, 04:45 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I would like to read this book but may wait until after I retire. My job keeps me pinned down to two fast rides and maybe a longer one each week. I will need more time off for recoup until then. Looks like my kind of book.
Old 06-30-16, 05:51 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've got the book, have read it a few times and have incorporated its lessons into my training. It works.

The question is whether it's relevant to your cycling goals. It's targeted towards Master's racers and others who want to stop or at least impede the inevitable slowing that comes with aging. It requires a willingness to create and stick to a training schedule that emphasizes intensity over saddle time. It assumes the use of a power meter in almost all your riding. It matches up really well with my goals. I enjoy the training and geeking out on the data.

Evidence for me that it works is that now the young guys have to push a paceline into the upper 20s and hold it there to drop me, and it still takes a while. I started riding at 56, and now at 64 I'm the fastest I've ever been.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-30-16, 08:49 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Though directed mostly toward competition, there is very good advice on fitness, how to get it and maintain it, and the recovery process. The older we get, the more important all this is. Get the book.
Old 06-30-16, 08:53 AM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have been running for 38 years cycling for 20 also, as we get older we slow down. Sure I can run a race or ride but not at the speed of 25 years ago. Those who enter cycling in later years can indeed improve even beyond 50 years old. All it means is that had you been cycling at 25 you would have been much faster than your improving 50 year old. Also I am biased runners take a larger hit in performance decline than cyclist.
I agree with this. I was a competitive runner for over 25 years before various orthopedic issues put me on the bike full time. When I was running I followed a lot Jack Daniels and Owen Anderson's methods. While I like to ride hard and enjoy training I feel like I got to the party a little late for competitive cycling. Still I like to get as much out of myself as possible and this book along with the Cyclist's Training Bible are great tools to improve your performance on the bike.
Old 06-30-16, 10:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by berner
Though directed mostly toward competition, there is very good advice on fitness, how to get it and maintain it, and the recovery process. The older we get, the more important all this is. Get the book.
This is what I'm thinking. I don't have to race to make use of the information.

So help me out here....

How much of the content is relevant to someone without a power meter? Is it worth getting the book if I don't use power but just heart rate?

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-30-16 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-30-16, 10:35 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
It's a good book. It mostly just takes a lot of the more general information from the Cyclist's Training Bible and tweaks it for the latest information on the aging athlete. As has been said, it is targeted toward the more serious competitive athlete, not the JRA crowd.
Old 06-30-16, 10:49 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is what I'm thinking. I don't have to race to make use of the information.

So help me out here....

How much of the content is relevant to someone without a power meter? Is it worth getting the book if I don't use power but just heart rate?

-Tim-
It really isn't specifically oriented toward using power. It is not a specific training plan, per se. It is an effort to present the latest sports science information to help the aging athlete achieve optimum performance. If you want to simply learn to train more effectively IMO get the Cyclist's Training Bible instead. Either will work for with RPE.
Old 06-30-16, 11:05 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by wished
I bought another book, Bike for Life: How to Ride to 100--and Beyond, by Roy Wallack. Probably similar content, I have to read it in bits and pieces, just not a cover-to-cover kind of book. To be honest I'm not that fond of it, too much technical stuff and more about diet and other exercise, not much about really biking. More of a guide to balanced healthy living, which is still good advice I guess, but I was looking more for bike advice for us less-than-youthful crowd. Guess I will just keep relying on this forum for that!

I've read this book as well.
A useful survey of cycling topics relating to health.
Interviews with significant figures are great, e.g. Johnny G & the origin of the spin bike.
IIRCC, one of the authors maintains that you should never do forward bends (for back health)- ridiculous.
Not technical at all, IMO. Not a single chart or graph- very conversational.
Old 06-30-16, 04:46 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by billd76
Have read it twice. Old but good book. Also, Dr. Jack Daniels book on running is a good read. Both have great detail on V02 max, lactate threshold, etc....
Old book? What do you mean?
Old 06-30-16, 07:24 PM
billd76
Billd76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Old book? What do you mean?
The fast over 50 book was published a good few years ago. Still some good info though
Old 06-30-16, 07:41 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
You could take it for a test spin from the library. That's what I did, wasn't my thing though.
Old 06-30-16, 08:07 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by billd76
The fast over 50 book was published a good few years ago. Still some good info though
IIRC, the copyright is January 2015. Friel did write another book about cycling after 50 about 20 years ago or so.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-30-16, 08:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by gear64
You could take it for a test spin from the library. That's what I did, wasn't my thing though.
Good idea.

The library in my area should have the head-gasket fixed in a few weeks.

I'll wait for it to roll into my part of the county and ask if they've heard of it.
Old 06-30-16, 09:20 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple of Joe Friel's other books. I checked this one out of the library and I'm about halfway through it. I'm finding it a bit repetitive, but worth the read.
Old 07-01-16, 03:34 AM
billd76
Billd76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
IIRC, the copyright is January 2015. Friel did write another book about cycling after 50 about 20 years ago or so.
I have read it twice. One of our group riders at work told me it was an older book. I honestly never paid any attention to the copy right. Guess I should have double checked when he told me that. I have been apply Freds suggestions to my running and cycling. I have found out that I can't run five miles very easily the day after cycling 50 miles. Beginning next Monday I'm going to try running in the early am and cycling about lunch time (one day) rest the following day, repeat every other day. My idea is to get leg work done in one day, cross train on my day off with core and upper body workout. I also found out that I get get a vo2 max test done at work for free!!!😎 Going to schedule that soon!!
Old 07-01-16, 05:36 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
^^^ This ^^^

The cycling section is at 796.6.

I borrowed it and found it to be mainly rehashing stuff I've read online over the years. Nothing new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.