Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's in Your Bag?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What's in Your Bag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 10:55 PM
mc9000

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er (2010), Charge Plug (2015)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's in Your Bag?

Posting a pic of what I carry in my bike commute bag. I’ve got an inkling that I’m probably carrying too much stuff, but since my work commute is only ~11 miles round trip, it hasn’t been a big deal for me.

• Lezyne alloy mini pump
  • Bungee cord
  • Headband
  • Pants clip
  • Zip Ties
  • Cable/Lock (I leave my main cable/lock at work; this is for quick stops)
  • Tire levers
  • Multi-tool
  • Planet Bike blaze 1/2 watt headlight
  • Altoids tin with patch kit, battery
  • Sunglasses/Mirror
  • Spare reading glasses
  • Old padded envelope I use when I store my phone in the bike bag
  • Two inner tubes

Old 07-04-16, 11:01 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Typically,

Tube
Patch Kit
3 tire levers
Underwear
Shorts/Pants/Swimming trunks (one of these - season dependent)
Undershirt
Work polo
Wallet
Rice container (part of lunch)
Extra lenses for riding glasses

It sounds like more than what it looks like when it's packed.

Looks like I have same bag as op. :-)

Last edited by San Pedro; 07-04-16 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Missed something
Old 07-04-16, 11:06 PM
mc9000

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er (2010), Charge Plug (2015)

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
Typically,
Underwear
Shorts/Pants/Swimming trunks (one of these - season dependent)
Work polo
Wallet
Rice container (part of lunch)
Yeah, this reminds me to mention that in addition to the bike bag I keep on my rear rack, I'm also usually carrying all of the above, plus a laptop computer in a messenger bag strapped to my back.
Old 07-05-16, 03:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
- quarters, in case I'm lucky enough to get a flat near a gas station
- emergency simple carb
Old 07-05-16, 04:41 AM
tclune

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Multitool, rain cape, lights, and bungee net.
Old 07-05-16, 05:15 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I started out following the advice of the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink guys. Ten years and 50,000 miles later, I've cleaned out the stuff I've never used.

Each bike has its own Road Morph G pump mounted on the seat tube. Standard load in all my seat bags is one tube, one tire lever, and a single 5mm allen wrench, since I use 5mm bolt-on skewers. I've never used any of the other stuff typically recommended. Since I keep up with regular maintenance at home, there's no need to carry a full toolkit and spare parts every day.

On Mondays, the panniers carry food (other than a daily sandwich) and clothes for the week, and any library books I have to return. One pannier stays at work, the other comes home in case I need to carry raingear during the week. Then on Friday, I use them again to bring home the laundry.

Food for the week means 5 apples, 5 oranges, small containers of miso paste and instant dashi powder, and a leftovers container of diced shiitake mushrooms and sliced green onions. Morning snack is one of the fruits, lunch is the daily sandwich and the other fruit, then afternoon snack is miso soup.

On the three midweek days, I can get by with just my ID, glasses and the daily sandwich sandwich stuffed in a jersey pocket.

My lock stays at work, and that may soon become superfluous when I get a bike locker.
Old 07-05-16, 06:58 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
30+ mi RT. I also have a mini-pump on the bike frame

Last edited by GeneO; 07-05-16 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-05-16, 07:38 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the usual emergency kit (patch, spare tube, tools...) lunch box, spare clothing, spare batteries and for the last 2 month, my epipen! Yep, at 40 years old I suddenly became allergic at I still don't know what, the allergy test is scheduled in 2 weeks but now I have 3 of these thing because I kept forgeting to bring it with me. So now I have one at work, one at home and one in my front bag with a tag clearly indicating that there's an epipen there. So if I can't take it by myself any rescuer will quickly see where it is.
Old 07-05-16, 08:14 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I need to go through my handlebar bag, but I think I'm down to really just keeping a cable lock, spare tube, security wrench for the bolt on skewers, and a tire lever in there. I suspect there are some superfluous things in there I have collected and just put in, but I can't think of what it might be right now. Apart from clothes and lunch, I see no need to carry any more than I would on a road ride, which is a way to fix a flat and a multi tool (though, apart from adjusting the saddle height, I can't think to a time I ever needed to use a multi tool during a ride). My commute isn't a tour nor is it a century. 12 miles, each way.
Old 07-05-16, 08:46 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
None of your damn business what's in my bag or on my handlebars or anywhere else. Who are you? The NSA?
Old 07-05-16, 09:49 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I started out following the advice of the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink guys. Ten years and 50,000 miles later, I've cleaned out the stuff I've never used.

Each bike has its own Road Morph G pump mounted on the seat tube. Standard load in all my seat bags is one tube, one tire lever, and a single 5mm allen wrench, since I use 5mm bolt-on skewers. I've never used any of the other stuff typically recommended. Since I keep up with regular maintenance at home, there's no need to carry a full toolkit and spare parts every day...
Interesting, I'm surprised you don't include a patch kit. I guess 99% of the time you don't get a flat, and 99% of the times you do get a flat, it's only one flat, and your spare tube gets you home where you can patch. So it's worth it to not carry a patch kit. For a teeny extra weight/space penalty, you could get a little pack of those 'glueless patches', which are really just stickers. Maybe someday you'll get a second flat, and that could get you home.

In my kittier, I carry my seatbag (I don't like my seatbag on my seat, it swings around and bumps my thighs), my Park 3-way 4-5-6 wrench, a bungee net in case I want to hold anything larger on the rack, a faux leather case for my flip phone (which is rarely turned on) and spare 18630 headlight battery. Daily fresh clothes (shirt, socks, underwear -- jeans&towel live at work and get brought home occasionally for washing. shoes live at work). Cable lock and badge for work. It only gets full/heavy if I am bringing food to work. Canned soups/tuna, loaf of bread,...

The seatbag contains a tube, a patch kit, a spare quicklink, a set of allen keys, and a Nashbar Woody multitool. The bike has a frame pump (vintage silca impero with campy head).

In 'rainy season' I'll also carry a folded up poncho, rain paints, and a small plastic container holding half a dozen plastic shopping bags (emergency rain protection for feet and leather saddle).
Old 07-05-16, 10:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brompton front bag , O bag. (Made by Ortlieb)

2 back pockets water bottle in one, tools to fix a flat tire in the other (+ my new double ended Spork)
Old 07-05-16, 10:11 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
We had two pumps, seventy-five patches, five sets of high-powered sockets, a saltshaker half-full of HEED, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored clips, bungees, baggies, gloves... Also, a quart of tubeless sealant, a quart of grease, a plastic poncho, a pint of raw chocolate milk, and two dozen allen wrenches. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you are locked in to a serious tool collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-05-16, 10:27 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I carry a tube, multi-tool (with chain breaker tool), tire levers, and nitrile gloves in my saddle bag. Mini-pump is strapped under the down tube. In my trunk bag I carry an assortment of plastic zipper bags, an emergency gel, reflective ankle straps (only used in winter), and a small sweat towel with my club's logo on it (freebie). Oh yeah, and a snack-size zipper bag with my Aldi quarter.
Old 07-05-16, 10:48 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
After a couple "side of the road" repairs that involved an oily chain, I now also carry a pair of nitrile gloves.

It's a great feeling to be able to preform basic emergency repairs ... riding home with greasy hands, not so much.
Old 07-05-16, 10:49 AM
FrankJ

Bikes: Nishiki Sport

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
- quarters, in case I'm lucky enough to get a flat near a gas station
My buddy had to top off his tires - the gas station wanted $1.25 in quarters.

For air.

For that the air should have been scented with lemon, lavender and rosemary and lubricated with unicorn tears.

Robbery, pure and simple.
Old 07-05-16, 11:08 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I find that if you buy gas at the gas station, and go inside and ask, the attendant is always happy to turn the air on for you for no charge. Probably also if you buy a snack and ask for them to turn on the air for you, they would turn it on as well. Of course, if you buy the snack and then ask, you risk them saying no in which case you're out even more...
Old 07-05-16, 11:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I move this seat bag from bike to bike. Normally, I hang my blinky tail light from it, but in this picture, the tail light is mounted on the bike.

The bag contains

- tire levers
- spare tube for my first flat
- patch kit for subsequent flats
- small pump
- allen keys for seat and handlebar adjustment
- wipies
- a small length of Gorilla Tape
- rag

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-16, 11:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by noglider
- a small length of Gorilla Tape
Is the gorilla tape wound on itself? Or on wax paper or something?
Old 07-05-16, 12:02 PM
RandomEncounter

Bikes: Holding steady at N

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fix-It Sticks
Patch kit
CO2 inflator
Rubber gloves (keep my hands clean if I need to do any repairs or get caught in unexpected rain)
Waterproof cover for my bag
A few body wipes

...and of course the collection of random junk that I forget to remove. I had quite the collection of change when I dumped my bag out the other day.
Old 07-05-16, 12:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Is the gorilla tape wound on itself? Or on wax paper or something?
It's wound on a little plastic tube. I haven't needed to use it on the road, but someone here on BF said it could come in handy, most probably to boot a tire with a rip in the sidewall.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-16, 12:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We had two pumps, seventy-five patches, five sets of high-powered sockets, a saltshaker half-full of HEED, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored clips, bungees, baggies, gloves... Also, a quart of tubeless sealant, a quart of grease, a plastic poncho, a pint of raw chocolate milk, and two dozen allen wrenches. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you are locked in to a serious tool collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
I like what you did there.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-05-16, 12:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I like what you did there.
Wait, did I miss a movie reference or something?
Old 07-05-16, 12:40 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Breakfast, lunch, wallet, work ID, a plastic bag, two spare tubes, a pump and the rain cover for the bag.

I used to carry tools but in 12 years I never used any of them, I'm never more than about 6 miles from either work or home where there are tools, so in a rare case where I might need them, I'll just walk, walking is good too.
Old 07-05-16, 03:25 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have a Topeak MTX DXP trunk bag/pannier set, so I've got lots of room. In that, I keep an entire clip-on saddle bag that includes a tire lever, tire patches, Presta to Schrader converter (I fix other people's tires more often than I fix my own), stand-alone chain tool, small length of spare chain, individual Allen wrenches, small screwdriver, individual flat wrenches, spoke repair kit, tire boot, 2 Band-Aids, rubber gloves, identification/medical info card, a quarter, and a $5 bill. When I don't need to carry the whole trunk bag, I can just slide it off the rack and clip the saddle bag under my saddle so I have any necessary tools to handle a breakdown.

Alongside the saddle bag in the trunk bag's main compartment, I keep a pencil case filled with miscellaneous first-aid items, a second spare tube (the first is rolled in a sock and strapped to the top of my rear rack), my mp3 player and speaker (when foul weather requires me to remove them from the handlebars), spare batteries, lunch, and miscellaneous clothing and other items I need for work.

Wish I had a photo, but I am too lazy to go out to the garage and take one right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.