Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's in Your Bag?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What's in Your Bag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 03:44 PM
mc9000

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er (2010), Charge Plug (2015)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I have a Topeak MTX DXP trunk bag/pannier set, so I've got lots of room. In that, I keep an entire clip-on saddle bag that includes a tire lever, tire patches, Presta to Schrader converter (I fix other people's tires more often than I fix my own), stand-alone chain tool, small length of spare chain, individual Allen wrenches, small screwdriver, individual flat wrenches, spoke repair kit, tire boot, 2 Band-Aids, rubber gloves, identification/medical info card, a quarter, and a $5 bill. When I don't need to carry the whole trunk bag, I can just slide it off the rack and clip the saddle bag under my saddle so I have any necessary tools to handle a breakdown.
I like this "bag within a bag" concept. I've been switching off between my bag and a crate; having a smaller bag to go between them could make this much more effortless.
Old 07-05-16, 03:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
I've been saying "What's in the Box? What's in the Box?" a lot lately. Need to see Se7en again...

(Spoiler alert, this video clip tells you WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!!!)

Old 07-05-16, 04:24 PM
HydroG33r 

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spare tube
Crank Brothers Speedier Lever
Pedro's Tire Lever
2 x 16g CO2 canisters
Specialized CPro2 CO2 trigger
Wad of nitrile gloves

I used to carry a small pump but I've never had much luck getting those to work, and the CO2 is more fun anyways so I just carry extra.
Old 07-05-16, 04:34 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroG33r
Spare tube
Crank Brothers Speedier Lever
Pedro's Tire Lever
2 x 16g CO2 canisters
Specialized CPro2 CO2 trigger
Wad of nitrile gloves

I used to carry a small pump but I've never had much luck getting those to work, and the CO2 is more fun anyways so I just carry extra.
Also great to make seltzer/sparkling water and enjoy a drink by the river.
Old 07-05-16, 04:38 PM
Sre312

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my 28 mile round trip, or 22 if I'm being lazy and hop the El train in the morning for the first half....

In the trunk bag everyday:
-Levers
-Tube
-Needle nose pliers(useful for removing sharp debris from tires)
-Small pump
-Knife
-Couple relevant allen keys
-Spare battery for lights
-Few patches
-Inhaler
-Phone charger
-Wallet
-Couple spare dust caps
-Spare socks/underwear in case it rains or if I get super sweaty and want to feel a bit fresher
-Rain jacket
-cable lock

In the pannier:
-Food for the work day
-Work clothes (heavy work boots stay at work)
-Couple extra bungees

Sounds like a lot but it's not too bad. I give myself plenty of time to get to work so I don't worry about going as fast/light as possible.
Old 07-05-16, 04:49 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by mc9000
I like this "bag within a bag" concept. I've been switching off between my bag and a crate; having a smaller bag to go between them could make this much more effortless.
It's the best idea I've ever had, if I may say so! I also use my commuter bike for overnight trips and recreational rides, so I don't always want the bulky trunk bag hanging off the rack. On an overnighter, when I get to a hotel, I can simply remove the quick-release Topeak bag and slip on the snap-in saddle bag, which has anything I might need for a typical repair and allows me to wander off into the woods or some other place where the trunk bag can get snagged or might slow me down. Long sentence, huh?
Old 07-05-16, 04:49 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Wait, did I miss a movie reference or something?

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-05-16, 04:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I have a bitty underseat bag with: spare tube, patch kit, 2 tire levers, and a pair of nitrile gloves. At least, I should have a pair of gloves... did I ever put those in...?
Old 07-05-16, 04:54 PM
HydroG33r 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I have a bitty underseat bag with: spare tube, patch kit, 2 tire levers, and a pair of nitrile gloves. At least, I should have a pair of gloves... did I ever put those in...?
You also have a frame pump or something?
Old 07-05-16, 04:55 PM
HydroG33r 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Also great to make seltzer/sparkling water and enjoy a drink by the river.
Think it would work to re-carbonate flat beer that's been all shaken up in my bag?
Old 07-05-16, 05:17 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
If you want to know what's in my bag, do a search (the Forum, not my shorts! )
Old 07-05-16, 05:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been saying "What's in the Box? What's in the Box?" a lot lately. Need to see Se7en again...

(Spoiler alert, this video clip tells you WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!!!)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-05-16, 05:29 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
A mini pump, CO2 inflator with a couple of cartridges, patch kit, spare tube, tire levers, a multi-tool, and a 15mm wrench(for my Electra). It all fits in a zippered document bag(found at Home Depot for $4), and the bag goes into one of my pannier bags.
Old 07-05-16, 06:10 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Wait, did I miss a movie reference or something?
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

OK, someone else beat me to it. I don't even remember all of what's in mine, I was looking for something the other day and found several things I'd forgotten about it there that might come in handy some day. I know I still have my knee warmers, 2 balaclavas, a headband, windvest and some spare batteries in addition to the tools the rest of you have mentioned. As well as some snacks. And earplugs, some handcleaner and a small first aid kit.

Last edited by no motor?; 07-05-16 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 07:52 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Each bike has a frame pump and a saddlebag with a multitool, patch kit and tube and rain poncho. I carry a medium chain in the saddle bag of two bikes and under the bag on the rack support arms of the third. I know I have too much stuff in my bag. But off the top of my head I have my helmet lights which I wear in the winter months, my main headlight, another patch kit (why?) pair of emergency underwear and socks, plus a polo shirt. One pair heavier gloves, sometimes two in winter, Extra headband. AAA batteries for bike lights, button battery for bike computer. Pliers, extra bungies and velcro straps, another rain poncho, plastic kitchen trash bag for backpack in rain. Sandwich bag for phone in rain. Reflective vest for night riding. Wind-breaker in summer months. USB cables. lightweight bellaclava (even in summer...why?) two cardboad fed ex envelopes to bungie to roadbike as fenders if caught in rain. $20, half in singles for emergency bus fare or whatever. Glasses case for tak-a-look mirror, extra glasses strap, extra micro usb for helmet cam. Notepad with pen. I keep shoes and coats at the office, so I will take my work clothes sans shoes and jackets. In the fall and winter I always bring an extra sweatshirt and one extra atheletic pant layer than I start out with, just incase I have to stop and hoof it. In the winter the bag weighs 25-30 pounds loaded for work. In the summer it's 18-23 pounds. On the weekends for leisure rides, it's like 10-15lbs, or less. I ride for fitness, so I'm not a weight weenie. However if my commute became more than my 9 miles each way, I'd think about paring down a little.
Old 07-05-16, 11:33 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I carry the means to fix a flat, and an allen wrench set. After decades of riding, and doing my own maintenance, I've got a pretty good idea of what's likely to break.
Old 07-05-16, 11:59 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Interesting, I'm surprised you don't include a patch kit. I guess 99% of the time you don't get a flat, and 99% of the times you do get a flat, it's only one flat, and your spare tube gets you home where you can patch. So it's worth it to not carry a patch kit. For a teeny extra weight/space penalty, you could get a little pack of those 'glueless patches', which are really just stickers. Maybe someday you'll get a second flat, and that could get you home.
You remember from last year (I whined about this on another forum we frequent.) my troubles with the new and improved version II of my favorite tire, which couldn't seem to go 5 miles without flatting if there was rain even in the forecast, let alone on the ground. (This was terribly frustrating since the original version I of the tire was bombproof, IME. Thousands and thousands of flat-free miles in all weather.)

Yes. Until I was able to replace those tires, I carried a second tube and a patch kit on that one bike only. I used the second tube on enough occasions that I started carrying a third tube in the panniers when using that bike. (I'm not about to sit in the rain and try to patch a tube.)

I moved those tires to a dry-weather-only-bike until I wear them out. I now run Michelin Pro 4 Endurance on the wet weather bike, and I'm back to one tube, no patch kit.
Old 07-06-16, 08:05 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Why do some people list lights in their bag? My lights are attached to the bike at all times. If I'm riding, the lights are in place and turned on. Not sure why you would carry them in the bag, except when you lock up the bike and throw accessories into the trunk bag to take inside with you.
Old 07-06-16, 08:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

That does seem weird. Maybe some people with rechargeable lights (as opposed to lights with rechargeable batteries) carry backup lights?
Old 07-06-16, 10:28 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That does seem weird. Maybe some people with rechargeable lights (as opposed to lights with rechargeable batteries) carry backup lights?
I don't know. All my lights are rechargeable, and I run 2 on the rear. Recharge about once a week, or more often if one dies before then. In winter I have to recharge just about after every commute day.
Old 07-06-16, 10:59 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Right, but you'd get double the longevity if you ran them in serial rather than parallel.
Old 07-06-16, 11:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
That's exactly right in my case, I carry an Ultrafire as a backup light. But only sometimes and in my commuting bag not saddle bag. It's also there for when I happen to be riding a road bike without lights and it's getting dark early enough that I don't want to risk getting caught without. In the winter I might have a couple of 18690's as well.

This time of year I don't carry one though.
Old 07-06-16, 01:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
My dynamo powered lights have proven to be reliable enough that I don't feel the need for a backup. But I do like a blinky tail light, so I use that in addition to the steady tail light. Sometimes I carry a head lamp that I can strap on my head in case something goes wrong such as getting a flat in a dark place, but I have not used it ONCE yet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-06-16, 02:18 PM
Frankenbike77

Bikes: Summer: FrankenBike - 1999 Mongoose 250 Crossways converted into a Road Bike, Winter Bike: 2011 Giant Seek 0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the Basics

-Filzer Mini Pump
-Filzer Multi-Tool
-Generic Multi-tool (for pliers and flashlight)
-Swiss Army Knife
-Crank Brothers Tire Lever (I love this one, works one-handed)
-Spare chain links
-Patch Kit
-Spare Tube
-Small container with various bits (spare change, transit token, grommets, valve caps, etc.)
-"Hump" Backpack rain cover
- Cable Lock (not shown as it is currently locking my bike)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BikeBag.jpg (96.5 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Frankenbike77; 07-06-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 02:20 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroG33r
You also have a frame pump or something?
Oh, right; my trusty blue Lezayne is always by my side. On the down tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.