Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are there any problems I should watch out for in old Thule Racks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 07:52 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

I just picked up two older (more than 10 years) Thule bike racks to mount on the roof of a car. Were there any product recalls in the past that I should be aware of? Are Thule racks like the Sram Red of racks, absolutely highest quality and engineering?
Old 10-20-18, 09:33 AM
Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I just picked up two older (more than 10 years) Thule bike racks to mount on the roof of a car. Were there any product recalls in the past that I should be aware of? Are Thule racks like the Sram Red of racks, absolutely highest quality and engineering?
Had Thule fork mount roof racks 15+ years ago. No problems and they were well made. I did make one minor “upgrade” to the mounts, to change the hand knobs that secured the rack to the crossbar to nylon insert nuts. Took a little longer to put the rack on, but I felt the added security was worth it
Old 10-20-18, 11:39 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I dunno about SRAM Red, but certainly Ultegra.

I have a set of the fork-mounts that's approaching 25 years old. I think they're the 515's.
I had one of the rear-wheel ratchet straps break a couple of years ago, but that's not unexpected for a 20-year-old piece of plastic. The trays and the 'head' are fine, if a little faded. I couldn't tell you about the towers, since i use mine modified to fit a factory rack, and the original fitment was the rain-gutter mount.

Since mine stay on year-round, I usually pull the QRs and grease them in the spring, but that's about all they need.
Old 10-20-18, 12:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
But , with the discontinuation of raingutter edges on car roof lines ...

the rack will need a set of mounts, specific to year make and model of the car.

unless the rack's past owner had the same car as you have, now.
Old 10-22-18, 01:57 PM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there is any issue specifically to look for other than the possible breakdown of the plastic parts. Usually the main components are either metal, or shaded from the uv light, and I've never had any issue with Thule or Yakima racks except for the ratchet straps to hold the rear wheel. Sometimes they wil break. I don't think you will lose your bike if thats what you are concerned about.
Old 10-23-18, 06:11 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
do you guys leave your racks on all year? The winter where I live is quite harsh so is it a good idea to put them on the car now? I kind of want to so when I can find compatible bike accessories or thule box from a thrift store I could either test these parts or take them home right away. How do these affect driving and fuel economy?

I have these two bars like photo below and plan to mount them above the side window glass as illustrated. They are kind of heavy but not too heavy.

Old 10-23-18, 06:28 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,973 Times in 1,919 Posts
Never had an issue with any racks. Although some caused issues with the vehicle.