Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a lugged road bottom bracket to fit 43mm tire?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Suggestions for a lugged road bottom bracket to fit 43mm tire?

Old 12-02-18, 08:37 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like only one photo loaded. Here’s the other.
Old 12-09-18, 05:23 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
absolutely- pics would be great!

I found the paragon thru axle and based on research so far, figured that would be the best setup. Still plenty of liking to do, but those seen to be the most 'plug and play' option.

what bottom bracket did you use for each build?

the white bike has a 700/29er 2.1 inch Vittoria Mezcal on it, I used a Pacenti oversized BB from Frame Builder Supply and some CX double s bend chainstays with Paragon flatmount through axle drop outs. it is set up with 5mm worth of spacers to use an MTB crankset.

The red bike has 700 38mm Gravelking SK on it and crimped round chainstays, not sure which BB but it is over sized.
Old 12-12-18, 10:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by busdriver1959
I used a DOS road shell from Nova (68mm) with the Columbus triple bend stays that Unterhausen linked above. The tires measure 44.3 and that’s a 44 tooth ring up front. I’ve got plenty of clearance but I also went long. 460mm chainstays.
Thanks for the pic and details on your setup. Long chainstays, but if thats what itll take, i guess im in for a super stable ride!
Old 12-12-18, 10:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464

the white bike has a 700/29er 2.1 inch Vittoria Mezcal on it, I used a Pacenti oversized BB from Frame Builder Supply and some CX double s bend chainstays with Paragon flatmount through axle drop outs. it is set up with 5mm worth of spacers to use an MTB crankset.

The red bike has 700 38mm Gravelking SK on it and crimped round chainstays, not sure which BB but it is over sized.
Thank you for the pictures and details. On the White bike, do you know what CX double bend chainstays you used? Im guessing with me planning to use a tire thats 10mm smaller than what you have mounted, there will be enough clearance even with a 46/34 road crankset due to the position/curve of the stays along with a smaller tire so I can use more of the inner bend of the chainstay(i think that makes sense how i worded it?).
Old 12-12-18, 11:12 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thank you for the pictures and details. On the White bike, do you know what CX double bend chainstays you used? Im guessing with me planning to use a tire thats 10mm smaller than what you have mounted, there will be enough clearance even with a 46/34 road crankset due to the position/curve of the stays along with a smaller tire so I can use more of the inner bend of the chainstay(i think that makes sense how i worded it?).
Any of the road cx chainstays sold by Nova look like they will work. I used the cx stays here https://www.bikefabsupply.com/chain-stays/

In the link above you can see the difference between mtb and cx stays the mtb stays have too much bend at the BB end.

Since you are looking to use a narrower Q factor road crank another option is to use the Columbus Hip stay sold by Nova. https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...-for-29er.html

Good luck and post pics

Steve