Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling in the Cold

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling in the Cold

Old 11-22-18, 07:16 AM
jlstrat

Bikes: litespeed blue ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling in the Cold

Greetings, all. One years since I had a heart attack, and I got lots of good advice from folks here, plus encouragement. Just a quick question. When I was in rehab the nurses said no riding if it's below freezing. It's in the high 20s here today (Fahrenheit). In the past, I dressed appropriately and was fine. However, since I did get that advice, should I do the trainer instead? I have cold weather attire, but perhaps it's best to avoid courting danger...
Old 11-22-18, 08:28 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
I'm 2 1/2 years out from the same My cardiologist said the same thing That's not an option around my place, have cows to feed whether it's nice or freezing arse cold. I've never had a problem with it, but I do bundle up I don't wear a mask either. I also go for long walks when it's in the 20's. Personally I'd test the waters, do some short rides not far from home. I'd bet you'll be fine. For me anyway shoveling snow or plodding through knee deep snow hasn't been an issue. But as I said I kind of tested things out at first, slow and steady... ..
Old 11-22-18, 08:49 AM
308jerry

Originally Posted by jlstrat
Just a quick question. When I was in rehab the nurses said no riding if it's below freezing...
And as a side note these nurses in rehab are dealing with real fragile folks as you well know, right after a life altering event That's great advice at the time they're dealing with us. But you know you better than anyone, if it feels good...... Do it
Old 11-22-18, 09:09 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by jlstrat
Greetings, all. One years since I had a heart attack, and I got lots of good advice from folks here, plus encouragement. Just a quick question. When I was in rehab the nurses said no riding if it's below freezing. It's in the high 20s here today (Fahrenheit). In the past, I dressed appropriately and was fine. However, since I did get that advice, should I do the trainer instead? I have cold weather attire, but perhaps it's best to avoid courting danger...
Well, it sounds like something you need to pay attention to. I don't ride below 35F, but just because I no longer enjoy it at that point. So I "Zwift" using a smart trainer. No, it's not as good as real road riding, but way better than nothing, and better than spinning and watching TV. The downside is the cost of the smart trainer and the monthly fee for Zwift. But it works.
Old 11-22-18, 09:34 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Read your own post again. You're going to make that decision on a post from someone else?
Old 11-22-18, 10:08 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
In Sweden, outdoorsy activities during winter are very common. Tour (ice) skating, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing etc etc. In terms of exertion, these should be well comparable to bicycling.
And there's a bunch of cardiac event survivors, who keep doing these things.
That they're all suicidal or at least reckless is a possibility, although not the most likely one.
So there's probably another explanation:
- maybe doctors here follow another protocol
- maybe there was an implicit time limit to the recommendation that you didn't understand
- or something else
Since you've been under care, I assume that you're not entirely cut off. I'd suggest contacting your doctor/the clinic/the rehab people and ask for further clarification on what activites that are OK, and under what conditions.
Old 11-22-18, 11:21 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I'm not a doctor but I would imagine breathing cold air deep into your lungs during (cardio activities) could add additional stress to your heart......
Old 11-22-18, 03:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I really enjoy the briskness of the cold air and can ride with temperatures in the 20s. I have noticed that my heart rate goes up when it’s that cold which makes sense. If it was me, I’d ride an easier pace, watch my metrics like heart rate and above all listen to my body.
Old 11-22-18, 05:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
I don't ride when the roads might be icy. One injury can ruin your whole season. I ride indoors instead. Works fine.
Old 11-22-18, 06:52 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I ride with temps in down to 25 if no wind. Not because of the lung issue but any wind at temps around 25 degrees the wind chill gets too much. If there is no wind cold has never been a problem. I easily run with temps in single digits again with no wind. Until I was about 50 I ran outside really no matter what and under pretty nasty conditions. But now at 57 I have less coordination and any ice at all is a scare and so I use the treadmill.

I would never go by what a nurse said ( no offense to nurses I am married to one) but would ask the doctor. I am unsure about cold weather if you have had a heart attack but for the ordinary person breathing in cold air is no problem it warms right up in the lungs It is a myth that you can somehow freeze your lungs out, at least with temps down around zero. Wind will always be the factor
Old 11-22-18, 06:59 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I'm not a doctor but I would imagine breathing cold air deep into your lungs during (cardio activities) could add additional stress to your heart......
i think the issue is vascular constriction. From WebMD:

"Cold temperatures cause arteries to tighten, restricting blood flow and reducing the oxygen supply to the heart, all of which can set the stage for a heart attack. "In cold weather, there is more oxygen demand by the heart because it is working harder to do the work and maintain body heat,"

I always take several capsules of CocoaVia before riding, a cocoa extract. The stuff is proven to increase nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels.
Old 11-22-18, 08:21 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
When someone asks question like this it makes me uncomfortable. I might give them my experience, but only the individual can decide what's best for their health, particularly when its something that could be potentially life-threatening. Personally, I hate the cold.

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-23-18 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 12:39 AM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Hmm, doctor gives you a strict guidance. You go to the internet and ask on a non-medical forum if you should follow your doctors orders. You might need to rethink how you go about making decisions and where you get your information to influence them.
Old 11-23-18, 04:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've ridden in temps down to 20F, which doesn't happen too often in this part of Texas. Just a personal challenge. The hardest part is keeping the fingers and toes warm longer than an hour.

The only thing I do differently (besides the usual stuff to dress appropriately) is to wear disposable paper surgical masks when the temp approaches or drops below freezing. Makes a big difference in comfort. Fewer problems with sinus congestion and pain, less stressful on the body than breathing cold, dry air.

Some folks wear balaclavas and fabric stuff but those get soaked and snotty pretty quickly. Paper masks are cheap, weigh nothing and take up very little space, and I can carry two or more for a longer ride and change them as needed.

And there are cosmetic choices besides the usual blue. I haven't seen any bike themed masks though.

I've ridden on light dustings of snow a few times, up to an inch or so deep, but only when I'm sure the weather conditions didn't allow for thawing and re-freezing. Riding on shallow "dry" snow feels pretty much the same as normal riding. My hybrids' utility tires with chevron tread or cyclocross/gravel tread were good enough.

One thing I won't do is ride when the roads might be slick with ice. Texas drivers don't know how to drive on ice. It's not even safe to walk on the sidewalk since drivers will slide around corners right across roads, sidewalks and yards.
Old 11-23-18, 07:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I concur with Mitkraft above. You ought to be using the guidance of the medical professionals you paid to give you that guidance. But, if you're going to go against that advice, I wouldn't do it all at once. Go on a short ride and see how it affects you. Make each ride a bit longer. Maybe contact your doc and communicate with him/her more specifically about doing this.

Dan
Old 11-23-18, 09:34 AM
jlstrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's really smart advice. I'll have to try that.
Old 11-23-18, 09:36 AM
jlstrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22 degrees this morning, and when I did ride yesterday in the 25 degree weather, I did OK, but was reminded that the medications make me more sensitive to the cold. Trainer it is, then.
Old 11-23-18, 07:22 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
The coldest I rode last January was -5. I ride at night in a heavy wilderness area on our main roads. Granted, I dont ride far at night and dont ride any faster than to keep a decent pace for 1/2hr or so. I just dont like being stuck in the house.
Old 11-23-18, 07:30 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
I try to avoid riding in temps below the freezing point for two reason:

1. Ice. Too many bad experiences with ice that lingers in shaded areas long after the snow is gone.

2. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...s-have-asthma/
Old 11-26-18, 09:15 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
This may be my first winter not riding in 5 seasons. May, we shall see. Right now, still have one tag to fill in the archery deer season. Still not sure how wolves react to my riding in the dark.
Old 11-26-18, 11:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
I got the same advice from the rehab nurse, so I checked with my cardiologist (who's a cyclist -- this is important!). Cardio's advice was basically do anything you want, just don't push too hard. So I bundle up and ride. I figure that, since I end up sweating, most of my skin is warm inside all those layers, and I just don't need to set any speed records when I'm burning more energy moving those same layers.

If you've got a doctor who's not a cyclist, you'll probably get the "Don't ever ride your bike on a road" advice. Gee, the guy two doors up parks his cars across the sidewalk -- that's not going to give me much exercise riding up there and back.
Old 11-26-18, 05:23 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I used to love the cold weather, flogging myself over the snow covered hills. The cold is now like an allergy. I keep out of it. This is what Gyms are made for . . .
Old 11-26-18, 06:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
"so I checked with my cardiologist" I think that is the key point to this whole thread.
Old 11-26-18, 07:39 PM
glenncz

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been doing some cold weather riding. Gatorskins on. 3 fingered gloves a necessity. Neoprene toe warmers plus neoprene overboots for <30F. Baclava. I don't record or look at ave speed. Cutting miles way back to <20.
Old 11-27-18, 07:53 AM
308jerry

A heart attack isn’t a sign you should back away from life and doing the things you like to do. It is a sign that you need to make your physical and mental health your priority.
^^^^ A quote from WebMD. ^^^^
I'm not sure how many times someone sez to speak with their doctor before changing any activity Then turn around and say if you don't like what your doctor sez find one that knows about the same activity you're inquiring about.
Once your cardiologist has you fixed, he sends you off to the cardiac rehab facility. Once you're done with the cardiac rehab, they send you home with the knowledge that you will be able to make most decisions on your own. If you are not sure of what activities you can partake in, consult with your cardiologists again. If they detect any anxiety on your part to engage in an activity they'll error on the side of caution and tell you to forego that said activity But on the other hand if you let them know you can't wait to get started riding a bike again and want to peddle on cold days also, they're more than likely to tell you that you can get started anytime and just take it easy to start

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.