Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

S Bend seat stays

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

S Bend seat stays

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 11:20 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
S Bend seat stays

I've been curious about the orientation of S bend seat stays. I really like the look of them and have been toying with the idea of using some. The question is about which way the bend actually goes. Does it go toward the wheel or away from it? I would think it would go toward the wheel like the Speedvagen does, but the Columbus stays I have don't look as if they'll make it back to the seat tube junction.

Thoughts and advice is always appreciated.

Brandon
Old 11-25-18, 12:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fwiw

I own a steel (late 80's early 90's) Pinarello Cyclo Cross frame,

It has S bends in seat & Chain stays for rear tire clearance when gathering Mud..

but from the side they appear straight...

Next..

Old 11-25-18, 12:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
which Columbus stays? Generally there should be a bulge at the tire. I think some builders end up bending them at the top, but nobody mentions that.

I think Nova has these stays lined up backwards (inside-out?) in their pic https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...AY-S-BEND.html
Same for the 17mm cycx stays. All the other road stays seem to be photographed in the proper orientation https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...S-BEND-c-1112/
Old 11-25-18, 12:58 PM
Live Wire 
Framebuilder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better better to bend them yourself to get just what you want.
Old 11-25-18, 06:38 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
which Columbus stays? Generally there should be a bulge at the tire. I think some builders end up bending them at the top, but nobody mentions that.

I think Nova has these stays lined up backwards (inside-out?) in their pic https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...AY-S-BEND.html
Same for the 17mm cycx stays. All the other road stays seem to be photographed in the proper orientation https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...S-BEND-c-1112/
I have the Life stays you posted. When I put them in the dropouts, they just seem like they'd be an awkward fit. Almost like the bends need to happen at shorter intervals than where they currently are.
Old 11-26-18, 09:13 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Here is a photo of the chainstays on the Squarebuilt bike I had built for me a couple years ago. The main triangle is Columbus SL, the rest of the tubing is also Columbus but I don't know exactly what. I believe the stays came pre-bent.

edit... Doh! I just realized you're talking about seat stays, I'm talking about chain stays. Never mind!

Last edited by rhm; 11-26-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-26-18, 10:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by BigPoser
I have the Life stays you posted. When I put them in the dropouts, they just seem like they'd be an awkward fit. Almost like the bends need to happen at shorter intervals than where they currently are.
so if you flip them around backwards of the way that nova shows them, it doesn't help?
Old 11-27-18, 09:37 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I'm glad to see that others are having the same problems that I'm having. I wish that the tubing makers would publish a scaled drawing of the stays since I don't use BikeCad. RattleCAD allows you to customize the stays but I don't think they allow triple bent stays like the Zona MTB stays.
Old 11-27-18, 11:15 AM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Vari-Wall has complete diagrams of all their stays, with bend locations and angles.
Old 11-27-18, 02:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I thought there are columbus drawings available, but I have always been too lazy to fiddle with those dimensions in rattlecad.
on edit: Henry james has the columbus spec sheet for the tubes that they sell. I'm not sure how to interpret the sheet for the mtb stay, and I used to interpret drawings as a significant part of my job. link: https://www.henryjames.com/columbus-p...ys-pair-8.html

Pretty sure rattlecad added a third bend, but maybe it was just for chain stays?

Last edited by unterhausen; 11-27-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 09:23 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
What dropouts are you using? Most plug style dropouts are designed for straight stays and will not work so well with an s-bend stay, unless you modify the plug or the end of the stay. S-bends flare out from the seat tube until you get past the tire. Then they bend inward to provide heel clearance and back out toward the dropout. The angle where they meet the dropout is more acute than a straight stay, so its no surprise that yours don't meet the seat tube when inserted into the dropouts.

As for the location of the bends, you usually have to trim from both ends to get the bends in the proper location relative to the tire. I like to use a section of TIG rod or brazing rod to mock up the length and location of the bends for my shop made stays.
Old 11-28-18, 11:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
What dropouts are you using? Most plug style dropouts are designed for straight stays and will not work so well with an s-bend stay, unless you modify the plug or the end of the stay. S-bends flare out from the seat tube until you get past the tire. Then they bend inward to provide heel clearance and back out toward the dropout. The angle where they meet the dropout is more acute than a straight stay, so its no surprise that yours don't meet the seat tube when inserted into the dropouts.

As for the location of the bends, you usually have to trim from both ends to get the bends in the proper location relative to the tire. I like to use a section of TIG rod or brazing rod to mock up the length and location of the bends for my shop made stays.
Hank's plugged drop outs are suggested to bend their angles to match the frame's needs. Of course how far is Ok is the question

I do like the suggestion to use filler rod as a sample to mock up curved stays. Good idea. Andy
Old 12-25-18, 11:28 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts
Didn't Hetchins vend both chains and seats in the vertical plane?
Old 12-25-18, 01:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Yes. Andy
Old 12-26-18, 03:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Didn't Hetchins vend both chains and seats in the vertical plane?
Yes. Hetchins claimed it improved ride quality ("horizontally stiff and vertically compliant" in today's marketing parlance):