Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not sure if that was a compliment or a warning

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Not sure if that was a compliment or a warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 03:19 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
It's called "the Moth effect". Drivers are attracted top blinking or flashing lights. Also, it's been show that it's very hard to judge how far away a blinking or flashing light really is. I run two lights on the rear of my bike at NIGHT. One is steady on and the other is a blinking light not a high-speed flashing or strobe-like light.

Cheers
The Moth Effect is a *theory*.

Drivers in general are not attracted to blinking or flashing lights, otherwise they wouldn't be used and I would have been run over multiple times so far this year alone. Yes, at least some small minority of drivers apparently manage to run into vehicles with flashing lights. I don't know how they manage it, but they do. I would guess the majority of those people are impaired, either by alcohol, drugs, mobile phone usage or they just plain fall asleep. Some number of people drive into lakes and other bodies of water. I'm not sure how they manage that, either.

And for some small percentage of people, flashing lights can cause seizures. Since flashing and blinking lights see such widespread usage (emergency vehicles, bicycles, modulating motorcycle tail lights, airport lights, billboards, etc), those people probably shouldn't be driving.
Old 09-17-19, 03:41 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
The Moth Effect is a *theory*.

Drivers in general are not attracted to blinking or flashing lights, otherwise they wouldn't be used and I would have been run over multiple times so far this year alone. Yes, at least some small minority of drivers apparently manage to run into vehicles with flashing lights. I don't know how they manage it, but they do. I would guess the majority of those people are impaired, either by alcohol, drugs, mobile phone usage or they just plain fall asleep. Some number of people drive into lakes and other bodies of water. I'm not sure how they manage that, either.

And for some small percentage of people, flashing lights can cause seizures. Since flashing and blinking lights see such widespread usage (emergency vehicles, bicycles, modulating motorcycle tail lights, airport lights, billboards, etc), those people probably shouldn't be driving.
Drivers may not be attracted to a slow flashing light but they definitely seem to be attracted more to the rapidly flashing lights or strobe-like lights.

The flashing lights cause seizures in others are usually the really bright strobe-like ones. I hate it when I'm riding on a dark road and trying to overtake someone who is riding a lot slower than I am but has a super-bright strobe-like rear light that blinds me to the point that I have to fall back quite a distance to avoid it. I've had instances at dusk and full-dark when an approaching bicyclist from the front of me had a bright strobe-like light that blinded me to the point I had to hit the brakes and come to a complete stop because I could no longer see the road. IMHO those sort of lights at dusk and full dark are a blasted hazard to others.

Oh, about the moth thing. I think that some drivers are drawn to the flashing lights simply because they are staring at them trying to figure out what they are and thus drift over towards them. Where you look is where you go, is a well know saying of bicyclists. I've see bicyclists with a very bright flashing red light stopped at an intersection ahead of me but thought that it was a car with the turn signal on. Other times I could not even tell where the bicycle was because the rear light was lost completely in all the other car lights.

Cheers

YMMV

Cheers
Old 09-17-19, 04:00 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Drivers may not be attracted to a slow flashing light but they definitely seem to be attracted more to the rapidly flashing lights or strobe-like lights.

The flashing lights cause seizures in others are usually the really bright strobe-like ones. I hate it when I'm riding on a dark road and trying to overtake someone who is riding a lot slower than I am but has a super-bright strobe-like rear light that blinds me to the point that I have to fall back quite a distance to avoid it. I've had instances at dusk and full-dark when an approaching bicyclist from the front of me had a bright strobe-like light that blinded me to the point I had to hit the brakes and come to a complete stop because I could no longer see the road. IMHO those sort of lights at dusk and full dark are a blasted hazard to others.

Oh, about the moth thing. I think that some drivers are drawn to the flashing lights simply because they are staring at them trying to figure out what they are and thus drift over towards them. Where you look is where you go, is a well know saying of bicyclists. I've see bicyclists with a very bright flashing red light stopped at an intersection ahead of me but thought that it was a car with the turn signal on. Other times I could not even tell where the bicycle was because the rear light was lost completely in all the other car lights.

Cheers

YMMV

Cheers
Oh, I'm right there with you about hating them. I don't think flashing lights have much use on a MUP. I'd turn mine off on the MUP, but there are so few riders, and even less who seem to be going my direction and passing me. As a driver, I hate following a bicycle with a flashing tail light. But I don't feel like I'm drawn to it.

And I don't much care for flashing headlights, either. I run my headlight on steady.

Target fixation is a real thing. I know that from 40 years of riding off road motorcycles. Without some training otherwise, many people will indeed hit something they're looking right at...and even trying to avoid. Maybe some people look directly at flashing tail lights. I purposely don't...at least partially so I don't see spots.

All that being said, I'm still going to run my blinking tail light. In about 8,000 miles of doing so over the past year or so I don't recall any vehicle passes where I thought a driver was drawn to it.
Old 09-17-19, 04:27 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Agree totally. Frankly, unless you're riding at night I'm not really sold on the importance of a front light. But I really want people on their cell phones bearing down on me from behind to see me....even if it irritates them for a few seconds while they do so.
I am totally sold on flashing front and rear lights for daytime use. I only use them in traffic. I have a 5 mile stretch of heavy traffic and get cut off and merged onto ...that is until I put 2 flashing strobes on my handlebars, pointed 45° in both directions. This now distinguishes the idiots from the jerks. I have way less issues, and cars preparing to turn onto the roadway actually see me and stop.
Old 09-17-19, 08:20 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Rode my bike down hwy 25 to Pinnacles National Park and back yesterday. The park is approximately 25 miles from civilization and the road has very light traffic. On my way back, I was passed slowly in a construction zone by a highway patrol. Before she reached me, she got on her loudspeaker and said something which I couldn't fully understand. What I heard was " Your blank is blank blank to motorists". Then she went on by.

I'm thinking, what was she saying? Then realized it must be something about my tailight, which is the cygolite hot shot pro 200. Then I thought maybe she was telling me that it was blinding to motorists or perhaps just that it was highly visible to motorists. Either way, I figured it was good.

Riding on rural highways with little to no shoulder, you want people to see you from as far away as possible.
Could it be the loud speaker was designed to be heard clearly from inside a car?

Reminds me once when I was riding on the subway and the PA goes on : "Attention all passengers. Blah, blah, blah..." was all I heard.

The only thing you could possibly have done was to jesture back that you couldn't hear or understand.

However, if it was something serious, she would have flagged you down to speak with you directly.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-17-19 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 08:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
What I heard was " Your butt is very distracting to motorists". Then she went on by.
They don't call him Hotshot for nuttin'.

Fixed.

Queue lonesome prairie yodeling songs of unrequited love for women in uniform.