Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Salsa Casseroll still needs work...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 10:20 PM
Liquidspacehead

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So if anyone is familiar with my previous post I apologize but my salsa casseroll still needs help... I am having an issue with my spokes I am assuming, only because they keep coming lose in my back wheel. Even AFTER being professionally trued twice. So my current verdict is I will just need a new wheel set and start from scratch? I bought the bike second hand and have no idea how old or worn some of the components are. I also need to replace the cantilever brakes (the spring pressure screws have pushed all the way through and seem to be obsolete. As well as a frayed brake wire that is all that needs to be done... so my question to the much better educated public is, what wheel set(if I should replace) is the best for the buck? Not trying to spend more then 200 after shipping and setting them up etc. Any advice is welcome and appreciated
Old 09-19-19, 11:54 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Good used quick release rim brake wheels are all over craigslist, facebook, etc... as people switch to discs. I'd suggest checking looking around for a nice used pair first.

Also, it sounds like all you need is a rear wheel.
Old 09-20-19, 07:53 AM
Liquidspacehead

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Good used quick release rim brake wheels are all over craigslist, facebook, etc... as people switch to discs. I'd suggest checking looking around for a nice used pair first.

Also, it sounds like all you need is a rear wheel.
Now THAT is what I want to hear! I am using a wheel that was on a trek bike just to get through today so I can fix
Old 09-20-19, 08:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You're looking for a 130 mm OLD rear wheel, right?

If you want a wheelset, these wheels from velomine are a good deal (but perhaps out of your price range) at $219: 36 hole velocity A23 rims, shimano 105 hubs

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=5177
Old 09-20-19, 12:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquidspacehead
Any advice is welcome and appreciated
Assuming it is one of the 130mm OLD models(not sure if any werent)- Ill 2nd the velomine suggestion.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...3s1elq4mlibcn5 $219 and great components. They may need to be touched up after riding a few times due to stress relieving during use instead of during the build.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...3s1elq4mlibcn5 $189. Again, may need to be touched up after riding a few times.