Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DIY bag making

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

DIY bag making

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 09:52 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashvillebill
I had an industrial Singer with the giant motor like the picture. This type of motor runs really, really fast, and the "pedal" just kicks a clutch in or out (the motor is always running). At roughly 3600 stitches per minute if my memory is correct. Great for an experienced garment worker who is getting paid per unit of clothes, terrible for us "amateurs". However, if you look carefully there are some industrial machines with the heavy motor which are geared down slower for making sails or leatherwork. But the run-of-the-mill industrial sewing machine is usually high speed.
I'm not surprised that's how it worked. I'm sure with a bit of spending on amazon you could find a controller that would let the motor run like a normal sewing machine. People do it with lathes all the time. You could do it with a variac if you could figure out a way to hook a pedal up to it... assuming you want a pedal. In all honesty, I think that's how old pedals worked anyway, so you'd just have to figure out a way to interrupt the motor (and have a switching mechanism capable of handling the massive inductive loads induced by such a large motor.)

Last edited by corrado33; 08-25-16 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 10:06 PM
nashvillebill

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I'm not surprised that's how it worked. I'm sure with a bit of spending on amazon you could find a controller that would let the motor run like a normal sewing machine. People do it with lathes all the time.
You can indeed buy a Variable Frequency Drive and slow the motor down, however the existing motor is not inverter duty rated. Better off replacing the motor as well, but that introduces a new wrinkle: the motors are rated for their horsepower by being high speed and low torque; slowing an AC motor down means the motor has (the same) low torque at slow speeds. The sewing machine conversion motors on Ebay (last I looked) were still relatively puny for leather work IMHO.

I actually did convert my metal lathe to a VFD and a larger motor. I kept my pulley arrangement in place though so I could change the belts for slow speeds while keeping power (like cutting threads).

Had I kept my industrial sewing machine, I was going to make a jackshaft arrangement so I could use pulleys to slow the machine down, while keeping the original high speed clutch motor. Unfortunately my wife died and I lost all interest; I eventually sold off the industrial machine as well as most of my other sewing machine "collection". I did keep the 3 best ones though.
Old 09-19-16, 07:31 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm contemplating an industrial sewing machine purchase (juki ddl-555) but hearing thst industrial machines don't stitch slowly is giving me pause. Right now that's my biggest complaint with my singer 201.

Any advice on buying used industrial machines would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-14-16, 06:31 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
This is a project which I've been working on since April. Lot's of other "opportunities" kept sidelining this tubular tire handlebar bag. Also at certain points, while waiting for glue to dry on knots, or for a chance to visit Joanne Fabrics, or an order to arrive from Amazon, I stitched up few extra "matching" accessories.

Without further delay, my latest DIY bag and my first handlebar bag.

As you can see, while a bit lumpy, the primary material is a recycled Continental Giro tubular tire. The edging around the "lid" is leather from a purse I found at a yard sale. The leather was also used for the internal hinges.

I used canvas duck cloth as the liner on the main part of the bag. There is also a 1/8 inch thick rectangle of high density foam sewn into the floor (covered with the duck canvas) in order to stiffen the bag.

Underneath I added wide elastic straps to carry a spare tubular tire. Those with a sharp eye might notice the closing buckles moved from the front to the back side. It can be mounted either way. I like to be able to open it from the saddle, but it is a bit awkward to do so.

At the moment it is mounted on my '71 Paramount. Can you spot the accessories I also made?

I made a saddle bag. My wife calls it an ice cream cone! I also made leather bottle skirts to dampen the vibrations on the metal thermos bottles. And finally, two tubular tire straps to secure my frame pump. A bit much? All comments appreciated!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-13-16, 07:56 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

I can't believe I was the last person to add to this thread back in October, and here I am again. I suppose you can guess I've stopped wrenching and gone to seaming! Maybe it is appropriate since the Apostle Paul was also a tent maker.

On this one I used the internal plastic frame of a Cannondale bag which utilizes a QR mount. I then re-purposed a retired leather Coach brand purse Mrs. PB let me have in order to "fashion" a new exterior. I aadded thin aluminum strips between the lid and the liner in order to keep it stiff and from sagging into the interior. She was quite pleased with the end result. Maybe it needs to ride on her bike? For now it is modeled by my '88 ST400 Cannondale.

Old 12-13-16, 08:30 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
NICE work Bob!
Old 12-13-16, 08:55 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,689 Times in 2,610 Posts
Well done, Bob!
Old 12-13-16, 09:31 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Cool!

Is that fresh snow?
Old 12-13-16, 09:48 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by rootboy
NICE work Bob!
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well done, Bob!
Originally Posted by rhm
Cool!

Is that fresh snow?
Thanks guys. I think I'm starting to get my grove. It takes making several to fully understand what works and what doesn't.

Rudi, yes it is fresh. we had 8" over Sunday night through Monday afternoon. This was on top of 3-4" that fell mid week. More expected this coming weekend. I guess we are having a white Christmas here in the NH mountains.

What I'm really looking forward to is the NWS forecast for Thursday night:
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -5.

Old 12-13-16, 10:01 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I wont be making any bags - but I did re-purpose this basic tool bag. a few quick links and its on.

Old 12-13-16, 10:05 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jetboy
I wont be making any bags - but I did re-purpose this basic tool bag. a few quick links and its on.
Hey, that's really clever - looks like a good fit! What brand tool bag is it, and where did you get it?
Old 12-13-16, 11:16 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I got it at OSH for $16. - it works because i have that bag support under it. it does not really match the bike but i suspect i could find a nicer.. even leather accent bag and it would work as well. tool bags are about 1/10 the price of bike specific bags!

Old 12-13-16, 11:37 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
This is a project which I've been working on since April. Lot's of other "opportunities" kept sidelining this tubular tire handlebar bag. Also at certain points, while waiting for glue to dry on knots, or for a chance to visit Joanne Fabrics, or an order to arrive from Amazon, I stitched up few extra "matching" accessories.

Without further delay, my latest DIY bag and my first handlebar bag.

I can't believe I was the last person to add to this thread back in October, and here I am again. I suppose you can guess I've stopped wrenching and gone to seaming! Maybe it is appropriate since the Apostle Paul was also a tent maker.

On this one I used the internal plastic frame of a Cannondale bag which utilizes a QR mount. I then re-purposed a retired leather Coach brand purse Mrs. PB let me have in order to "fashion" a new exterior. I aadded thin aluminum strips between the lid and the liner in order to keep it stiff and from sagging into the interior. She was quite pleased with the end result. Maybe it needs to ride on her bike? For now it is modeled by my '88 ST400 Cannondale.
Terrific work, Bob. I also like your originality in both design and re-purposed material.
Old 12-13-16, 01:09 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Thanks @crank_addict! Next up will be a bag created from this fine Italian beauty I found at a consignment store. The only problem is that I plan to mount it on a French bike!

Old 05-10-19, 04:19 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
My friend David, a Vermont-based randonneur, has started a bike bag fabrication side-business. His attention to detail is superb, and his bags have a very well constructed and finished look and feel:

Waxwing bag company - Home

I was very close to buying one. They look great. But the price is out of line with his competition. Everything is extra on the bags. You can easily drop $400 - $500 on a front bag with no trouble.
Old 05-10-19, 02:01 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I was very close to buying one. They look great. But the price is out of line with his competition. Everything is extra on the bags. You can easily drop $400 - $500 on a front bag with no trouble.
I have a Waxwings and really appreciated the customization that Dave offers. My rear pockets are sized to easily hold my camera, and he added this interior pocket sized for my iPad for use when we travel. The changes I’d make if doing it over would be to slightly reduce the front-rear dimension, and angle the side sleeve pocket openings for easier access.

Old 05-10-19, 04:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
My friend David, a Vermont-based randonneur, has started a bike bag fabrication side-business. His attention to detail is superb, and his bags have a very well constructed and finished look and feel:

Waxwing bag company - Home

Dave's a great guy, and after buying a handlebar bag, saddle bag, and panniers from him I finally got to meet him at FFD last year. In addition I've recommended at least 6 people who have bought his bags, and all of them are delighted.

He's very in to custom work, I've got another handlebar bag on order that I'll show off when I get it in.

My Waxwing credit card setup
Old 05-10-19, 09:57 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Dave's a great guy, and after buying a handlebar bag, saddle bag, and panniers from him I finally got to meet him at FFD last year. In addition I've recommended at least 6 people who have bought his bags, and all of them are delighted.

He's very in to custom work, I've got another handlebar bag on order that I'll show off when I get it in.

My Waxwing credit card setup
His bags look awesome , but I could buy Berthoud bags for less based on his website pricing.
Old 05-10-19, 10:46 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
His bags look awesome , but I could buy Berthoud bags for less based on his website pricing.

Hmm, Rene Herse pricing for a GB28 bag is $338 + shipping. A Waxwing large is $310, and I believe includes shipping. Dave will do a custom size, GB?
Old 05-10-19, 10:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

My GB28 with a Zimbale saddle bag
Old 05-10-19, 11:57 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Hmm, Rene Herse pricing for a GB28 bag is $338 + shipping. A Waxwing large is $310, and I believe includes shipping. Dave will do a custom size, GB?
ahh ok ... I stand corrected, I've been watching ebay prices on berthoud bags they seem to bring between 150 and 200
Old 05-11-19, 05:52 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
My Waxwing bag is phenomenal, I’d order another in a heartbeat.
Old 05-11-19, 06:42 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Thanks @crank_addict! Next up will be a bag created from this fine Italian beauty I found at a consignment store. The only problem is that I plan to mount it on a French bike!

Seeing this thread revived, I thought I'd update my last post. I turned the above green leather bag/purse into the larger bar bag and the smaller saddle bag. The saddle by the way is @rhm 's #110 creation. The brown leather came from a purse I found at our town transfer station.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 05-11-19, 11:36 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
It's an Italian purse going on a French bike but fear not. It is from a Swiss cow, so it really can go either way and it's all down hill.
Old 05-11-19, 03:29 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I have my Dad's old sewing machine- no idea if it has the superpowers to regularly go thru leather- When I was a kid, I used that machine to sew some leather ends on the end of some cotton duck straps to make guitar straps.

I would love to attempt to make a bicycling satchel.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.