Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vigorelli?

Old 09-05-19, 05:25 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Vigorelli?

Saw this bike for sale. That's a brand I know NOTHING about. What the heck is it? Value?

Old 09-05-19, 06:20 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I don’t think I ever heard the brand name but the frame is a rebranded Vitus 979 just like the decal says.

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/d40e813b-6ad5-49a2-8328-58255b6178ac[/img]

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-05-19, 06:23 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
------

Vigorelli is the name of the velodrome in Milano.

The original Faliero Masi shop was right there.

-----
Old 09-05-19, 11:57 AM
kross57

Thanks to all for the info. Odd bike.
Old 09-05-19, 12:21 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by kross57
Thanks to all for the info. Odd bike.
-----

Actually a fairly common one.

This frame was private labelled with scores of different names.

-----
Old 09-05-19, 02:01 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Actually a fairly common one.

This frame was private labelled with scores of different names.

-----
I would say Vitus frames are unusual. Bikes labeled "Vigorelli", like the one above (not Bianchis or Cinellis), seem to be extremely rare, at least in my experience. Are there other threads here about these bikes? Photos? Please point me to them. I can't find anything.
Old 09-05-19, 02:06 PM
juvela

-----

Me comment above regards frame, not complete cycle nor brand name seen.

They were quite common in their day...

-----
Old 09-05-19, 10:15 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
------

Vigorelli is the name of the velodrome in Milano.

The original Faliero Masi shop was right there.

-----
actually it was elsewhere but he moved there early on - right after the track opened
found that recently in two articles.

( related- there is an Italian language interview series I found on Amzn Prime
The Italian Masters) very basic productions - missing a few big names but does interview Valentino Campagnolo among others.
Old 09-10-19, 04:56 AM
kross57

So, any thoughts on value?
Old 09-10-19, 05:56 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Well?

So, any thoughts on value?

Sure, if it fits you, go buy it. If it's to flip, price your labor, and well, you decide. Ha,ha. Time to do some of your own figuring. What part of this is a mystery, seriously?

This is the current state of the C&V market, and why the bike's been for sale for weeks... What do you think? It's fairly priced...Fair enough? If it fit me, you would not have the option. I live 40 minutes from it. And I like the strange labelling. But it's small for me, and well... I'm sure there are a few other folks who have made the same calculations, so there it sits. A great deal for the right buyer.

Best regards, Eric
Old 09-10-19, 06:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
-----

Me comment above regards frame, not complete cycle nor brand name seen.

They were quite common in their day...

-----
The OP is a person who believes that the value of a bicycle resides with the status of the brand name. He places no value in the contractors who assembled the bicycle or manufactured the frame.
Old 09-10-19, 06:29 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Sure, if it fits you, go buy it. If it's to flip, price your labor, and well, you decide. Ha,ha. Time to do some of your own figuring. What part of this is a mystery, seriously?

This is the current state of the C&V market, and why the bike's been for sale for weeks... What do you think? It's fairly priced...Fair enough? If it fit me, you would not have the option. I live 40 minutes from it. And I like the strange labelling. But it's small for me, and well... I'm sure there are a few other folks who have made the same calculations, so there it sits. A great deal for the right buyer.

Best regards, Eric
Since nobody seems to have an idea who assembled this bike, the value is in the components, and these are not ones I'm very familiar with, particularly the frame. So, I asked.

When someone posts a question about a bike I have had experience with, I respond as well as I can. Politely. What part of THAT is a mystery, seriously?

Best regards, Ross
Old 09-10-19, 06:32 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The OP is a person who believes that the value of a bicycle resides with the status of the brand name. He places no value in the contractors who assembled the bicycle or manufactured the frame.
T-Mar is a person who believes everyone should genuflect when he makes a post. Ummm... no.

I respect your knowledge, most of the time. But try to take yourself a tad less seriously, and don't harbor silly grudges. It's bikes, not nuclear physics.

Last edited by kross57; 09-10-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 06:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
T-Mar is a person who believes everyone should genuflect when he makes a post. Ummm... no.

I respect your knowledge, most of the time. But try to take yourself a tad less seriously, and don't harbor silly grudges. It's bikes, not nuclear physics.
I was only informing the other members regarding your philosophy of brand versus frame manufacturer value. Most members would see the value as the Vitus frame and would take your comments out of context.
Old 09-10-19, 06:51 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Since nobody seems to have an idea who assembled this bike, the value is in the components, and these are not ones I'm very familiar with, particularly the frame. So, I asked.

When someone posts a question about a bike I have had experience with, I respond as well as I can. Politely. What part of THAT is a mystery, seriously?

Best regards, Ross

Ross, I did not think that I said anything rude or offensive.

I tried to be clear about the relative value of the bike, and why it was still available, given it's low price I will re-read my post, but perhaps you might look at the information you were offered, rather than complain about my tone. If I was less than effusive, please note:

You say "The value is in the components", Right?

To spell it out: It's a Vitus 979 frame with Shimano 600 Arabesque parts. The internet is not exactly lacking in general information, or recent sale data on either. This forum has many threads, about both. I will refrain from further comments. and hope you find this useful.

Eric
Old 09-10-19, 07:04 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Ross, I did not think that I said anything rude or offensive.

I tried to be clear about the relative value of the bike, and why it was still available, given it's low price I will re-read my post, but perhaps you might look at the information you were offered, rather than complain about my tone. If I was less than effusive, please note:

You say "The value is in the components", Right?

To spell it out: It's a Vitus 979 frame with Shimano 600 Arabesque parts. The internet is not exactly lacking in general information, or recent sale data on either. This forum has many threads, about both. I will refrain from further comments. and hope you find this useful.

Eric
Eric,

If I took your post the wrong way, no problem. The tone was rather curt.

Of course I did a little research, enough to know something about the Arabesque stuff, but is this an Arabesque "groupset"? How desireable are Vitus frames? The chainrings are attached with bolts saying Campagnolo. What exactly does that mean? And, of course, what the f*** is a Vigorelli? Just trying to educate myself a bit and have a light discussion. No need to respond if you don't have much to tell, or any desire to tell it. Why get annoyed with a simple question?

The advertisement is in FB marketplace at https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...roduct_details. Anyone interested should hop on it. Enjoy!
Old 09-10-19, 07:10 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I was only informing the other members regarding your philosophy of brand versus frame manufacturer value. Most members would see the value as the Vitus frame and would take your comments out of context.
Wow. I wasn't aware I had a bicycle "philosophy". Maybe you can follow all my posts and explain to other people about my background, beliefs, aspirations, religious views, political leanings, and whatever neat stuff might be useful. That would be great!
Old 09-10-19, 07:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
If you want a C&V aluminum bike and it fits, this is a classic one.
Old 09-11-19, 03:31 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by bikemig
If you want a C&V aluminum bike and it fits, this is a classic one.
If it was a smidge larger I'd be tempted. But I'm pretty sure that's a 49cm frame.
Old 09-13-19, 06:26 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Vitus 979 frames are quite common, they made thousands of them through the several years of its model run, and many remain in use, on the road, despite naysayers about the brand and its bonded construction. Does the "Vigorelli" decals give it a higher market value compared to other re-branded 979's (which also there's a lot of out there) or straight Vitus branded bikes?? Not really, IMO. Maybe a Vigorelli fan might pay a bit more for it to maybe complete his/her collection of Vigorellis, but that's the exception, not the norm.
I'd say the bike might be worth 250 bucks max., in its condition. If you want more money from it, you might have to wait for the next C&V bike boom to sell it........which unfortunately, there are no signs of coming in the foreseeable future...
Now if this was a 979 with the aero section (squashed) "lossange" frame tubes, you will be talking significantly more value, as those are the hard to find version of the 979s. I'd say those could be at around the 350 to 500 dollar level, depending on condition and mounted component group.
Old 09-26-19, 07:38 AM
juvela

-----

The Vigorelli marque was one of several house brands employed at the shop of Michael Frayssse in Ridgefield New Jersey. (Best known for the Paris Sport badge.)

Given the poster's stated location in Northern New Jersey it would seem a good possibility the cycle originated there.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-o-z.html#parissport

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-26-19, 08:42 AM
kross57

-----

The Vigorelli marque was one of several house brands employed at the shop of Michael Frayssse in Ridgefield New Jersey. (Best known for the Paris Sport badge.)

Given the poster's stated location in Northern New Jersey it would seem a good possibility the cycle originated there.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-o-z.html#parissport

-----
I'm sure that's hitting the nail on the head. Thanks!

"The bikes ranged from the somewhat generic $150 ten-speed bike boom special/UO-8 clones all the way up to Vitus glued aluminum frames.... ...They would sometimes decal these frames as "Vigorelli" or "Star Nord". The Vigorelli's were the better quality frames back in the 80's."
Old 09-26-19, 08:53 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Agree with the 250 max price suggestion made above...seems right on the mark for a vitus. That period of Shimano isn't usually especially well regarded, or desired/valued. Should be a functional group, but I wouldn't pay much of a premium for it. Personally, I like the aesthetics of these bits. These frames are, usually, not especially beloved and quite common. Not much demand, plenty of supply.

Personally, I'd probably pass, but there are people who really like these. There was a recent, passionate, post about them...very favorable...to which I really can't comment. I HAVE seen a fair number with cracks, breaks, etc. over the years.

I didn't understand your post about Bianchis and Cinellis in relation to this bike.
Old 09-26-19, 12:56 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Agree with the 250 max price suggestion made above...seems right on the mark for a vitus. That period of Shimano isn't usually especially well regarded, or desired/valued. Should be a functional group, but I wouldn't pay much of a premium for it. Personally, I like the aesthetics of these bits. These frames are, usually, not especially beloved and quite common. Not much demand, plenty of supply.

Personally, I'd probably pass, but there are people who really like these. There was a recent, passionate, post about them...very favorable...to which I really can't comment. I HAVE seen a fair number with cracks, breaks, etc. over the years.

I didn't understand your post about Bianchis and Cinellis in relation to this bike.
Try google. Both Bianchi and Cinelli have models named Vigorelli.
Old 09-26-19, 02:22 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Try google. Both Bianchi and Cinelli have models named Vigorelli.
Is there a reason you were rude? I'll stick to my supercorsa, thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.