Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Tall and fat

Old 09-12-19, 02:12 PM
Don62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tall and fat

I am 6’6” and 400lbs
would like to purchase upright bike to begin riding to lose weight.
just want to start on upright comfortable bike.

thanks for any help
Old 09-12-19, 03:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums, hope you wind up with a bike that you really like and will stick with the riding. A lot of info available on these forums.
Old 09-12-19, 06:59 PM
Lu..

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roll Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome, every brand offers an upright bike. They typically categorize them as Fitness, Comfort or Hybrids. I was in your boat a few weeks ago, I suggest you do some research online, in this forum and surfing in a few OEM bike websites, then go to a few LBSs (local bike shops) and have honest conversation with them. After going through this basic process, you should be able to decide on a model. Good luck in your choice and post back your results.
Old 09-12-19, 07:09 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Welcome. Ask some questions in the Clydesdale forum. They should be you lots of advice.
Old 09-13-19, 04:13 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Good questions and you will find answers and support amongst us Clydes. We all started somewhere. Welcome aboard.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 09-14-19, 05:05 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,542 Times in 3,756 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums
Old 09-20-19, 03:51 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
T&F, Staying on the bike and soon we will be calling you "tall"...welcome! Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-20-19, 04:11 PM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Don62
I am 6’6” and 400lbs
would like to purchase upright bike to begin riding to lose weight.
just want to start on upright comfortable bike.

thanks for any help
1st Welcome to the Forum. There are many great people here who can input on about anything you need or want to know.
I'm 6'4" and new here as well, for the same reason as you....

Wow, 6'6", you certainly aren't going to be riding any 20"ers thats for sure. I am wanting to get back into BMX, I just tried a 20"er and that and failed...

If I was you, I'd pick a few local bike shops and go check them out.... Tell them you are wanting to get into biking to lose some weight and want something comfortable, yet durable and you'd like to test drive a few bikes and see what fits and what your looking at cost wise... Maybe even set a budget too them, so they don't suggest a $12,000.00 rig, when you only want to spend a grand, or whatever...

They will know how to adjust the bikes bars and seat height for your optimum comfort and efficiency.

I went last weekend and test rode 6 or 8 Bikes, including one of the new Ebikes... It was a Blast, but a bit outta my range.

I say go to a bike shop as if its a good one, they'll have experts or someone at least pretty knowledgeable on them. If you go to Target, Dicks, Academy or some other store that just has a bike section, you'll get someone who MIGHT be able to look up the price for you, Maybe...

Depending on their selections, you might hit 2-3 stores before you find the right bike.

From your posted size, I'd think you were looking at something with a 26-29" wheel, be it a Hard tail Mountain Bike, XC, Road, Gravel, or BMX...

I myself feel more comfortable on bigger Mountain Bikes, XCs and BMXs than the road bikes as I'm afraid of breaking the Skinny Rims or popping the tires if I hit a bump or roll off a curb... I'm sure others will have a different any maybe more valid opinion as I'm just getting back into this and so much has changed since the Mid 80s, early 90s when I was really in to it...

Either way, find something that fits and Right the heck outta it!!!! Don't let the young skinny dudes get all the enjoyment!!!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you get and how you like it.
Old 09-20-19, 04:35 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Tall, somewhat, and overweight myself. Welcome. Returning to cycling was my health saviour as far as I'm concerned. Best of luck with your efforts and goals.