Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubolito Tubes? Experiences? Opinions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 03:22 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Looking for opinions on and, experiences with Tubolito tubes? Covid boredom has me looking for some budget friendly upgrades that I could actually feel in the performance of my bike. I see these tubes at my LBS, and I have done a bunch of research. Im intrigued but Opinions are all over. I ride 100% road. No gravel. Roughly 125 miles a week. 26mm S-Works Turbo tires with Zipp tubes currently. Im not unhappy with my setup at all. Works great. Just curious if the Tubolito product will be a fun upgrade. Thanks.
Old 11-23-20, 03:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Looking for opinions on and, experiences with Tubolito tubes? Covid boredom has me looking for some budget friendly upgrades that I could actually feel in the performance of my bike. I see these tubes at my LBS, and I have done a bunch of research. Im intrigued but Opinions are all over. I ride 100% road. No gravel. Roughly 125 miles a week. 26mm S-Works Turbo tires with Zipp tubes currently. Im not unhappy with my setup at all. Works great. Just curious if the Tubolito product will be a fun upgrade. Thanks.
Are they latex? If they are not latex, they probably won’t make a dramatic difference good or bad.
Old 11-23-20, 03:34 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Are they latex? If they are not latex, they probably won’t make a dramatic difference good or bad.
Nope, not latex. Ultra light thermoplastic. https://www.tubolito.com/en/
Old 11-23-20, 04:54 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I stopped to help with a flat tire a couple of days ago- it turned out to be a friend fixing his second flat.

That tube also punctured, so he had to borrow a tube from his riding buddy- which was a Turbolito.

He carries it as a spare because it rolls up so small and is also light.

The orange valve stem looks kind of cool, & the whole business is a bit like a condom.
Old 11-23-20, 05:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
If you have data from previous rides, then buy it and after a dozen or so of the same rides you should be able to compare and decide if they are for you or not.

If it's significant then let us know. We'll appreciate the work you did for testing them out with some amount of objectivity if it's supported by data.

Be sure to use the same tires for before and after.
Old 11-23-20, 07:19 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Better than a $1 a gram!

Unless you pinch it putting it in...
Old 11-23-20, 07:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've used them for almost two years on my road bike. (maybe 3-4000 miles) Compass/Rene Herse 28mm tires. No flats.

Early on I had a valve blow out while inflating. Probably caused by flexing the pump head too much while clamping on or removing. Tublito did replace the tube for free. The plastic valve stem is the only weak spot I can see. Since then I've been more careful and have had zero problems.

I can't tell if they improve the ride comfort over standard tubes... my supple $$$ tires rode great with them too!

Unlike latex they actually hold steady pressure for days, which I really appreciate.

I do like that they are much lighter and the spare much smaller. (even compared to latex) Also that they are trick. Even the orange stem works for me. I will continue to use, but only on certain bikes.
Old 11-24-20, 05:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
FWIW, Tubolito-ish alternatives seem to include the newish Schwalbe Aerothan, and the Revoloop tubes.
Old 11-24-20, 07:05 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Covid boredom has me looking for some budget friendly upgrades that I could actually feel in the performance of my bike.
They don’t seem to be very “budget friendly”.
Old 11-24-20, 08:38 AM
Daerkon

Bikes: Seven Odonata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I decided to run tubolito tubes this summer as I like to try out new products, particularly if there is a materials science aspect behind them. I was originally hunting for Revoloops, but found those hard to get, and Tubolito seems to now be more widely available. Prior to this I was running Panaracer Rair tubes, which are already very light, and marketed as a latex-butyl composition. I found the Panaracer tubes to be convenient in that they pack very small, and have a decent lifespan. I put in around 150 +/- miles per week, and usually get a couple of flats a month. With the Tubolito's I did not find that they flat any more than the Panaracer tubes. In regards to dealing with the flats, I actually would carry a spare Panaracer tube (because I was not yet comfortable with the reliability of the Tubolito's). What I found interesting is that the Tubolito's are actually simple and effective to patch with the Tubo Flix kit. I was never happy with patching butyl tubes so would just toss those and replace. One of my Tubolito's has now got 3 patches on it, and is still working great. This is an important point for me as they are almost 3 times as expensive as a butyl tube, and this ability to effectively and easily patch changes the value perspective.

With regards to weight and ride quality, yes they are lighter, I don't think I can tell any difference personally, and also can't definitively say that there is an improvement in ride quality. However, they are cool, effective, and for my type of riding and road conditions work well.
Likes For Daerkon:
Old 11-24-20, 09:54 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
No experience with these but in my work I deal with lots of special purpose plastics, elastomers, etc. so wanted to look into the material these are made of. I frequently hear claims of magical properties of this or that plastic and it's usually total BS. In this case, there may be a real benefit to using this material.

Looks to be a very good from an elastomeric standpoint and the addition of other materials can increase the strength considerably. Like most materials in this category there are many formulations with different fillers for different purposes and you don't know which one is used in the product but the base material in itself looks to have some properties that would be beneficial as a tube.

I might give these a try but I'm planning to go tubeless when my tires need replacement.

Material info here.....
Thermoplastic Polyurethane
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 11-25-20, 07:34 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I've read about a lot of people having issues with them, doesn't seem worth the trouble to me to save a few grams.

They don't improve rolling resistance, which is what would be noticeable, for that you want latex tubes. Yes, you have to pump them up everyday, but that's really not that hard, just becomes part of the pre-ride routine. I have over 10,000 miles on a set of Silca latex tubes with zero issues (they're made by Vittoria).

Last edited by Rides4Beer; 11-25-20 at 07:39 AM.