Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Endurance vs. Race Geometry

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Endurance vs. Race Geometry

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 09:29 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
E.g., there's this local KOM I've been after. It's a short sprint that starts with a slight downhill, shielded by trees, which then opens up onto a straight stretch of road with no wind cover at all. I've been trying it on both of my bikes (one a 24lb. retroroadie, and the other a 20lb. modern gravel bike). All of the rider/saddle/bar positions are fairly close--I feel I shift around a lot from one ride to the next, so any differences get lost in the noise. I've run the same tires at the same pressures. But I cannot, for the life of me, get as good a performance out of the lighter, more modern bike. It feels like the issue is that the modern bike with the longer stays just cannot spin up as fast, so that when I come out of the chute onto the wide open stretch, I'm just not carrying enough speed.
Also heavier bikes are faster downhill. Do it backwards.
Old 01-10-18, 10:38 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Why would longer chains stays affect wheel rotation? Not a smart-mouthed question, i just don't see any relationship. Longer chain stays will stretch the wheelbase and slow the handling, bit shouldn't affect acceleration or speed.

I second @memebag here---weight gives you extra momentum on the downhill, and you can carry an extra mph or two into the start of the flat.

Use your tech. Look at the speeds at various parts of the run on several runs on each bike, and see where the speed difference is gained.

I can't believe that hasn't occurred to you already.
Old 01-10-18, 11:37 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memebag
Also heavier bikes are faster downhill. Do it backwards.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I second @memebag here---weight gives you extra momentum on the downhill, and you can carry an extra mph or two into the start of the flat.
Possible, of course. All of this was late season last year when I discovered how nice the retroroadie rides on semidecent tires.

I'm itching for the spring for more observation, but that's at least a couple months down the road.

Why would longer chains stays affect wheel rotation? Not a smart-mouthed question, i just don't see any relationship. Longer chain stays will stretch the wheelbase and slow the handling, bit shouldn't affect acceleration or speed.
I know the anecdote doesn't make a strong case. I guess it just feels like, having more weight pressed down on the rear wheel transmits more of the power my puny legs generate. (You can tell I'm mostly layman because of the lack of proper use of terminology.)
Old 01-10-18, 01:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Shorter chain stays could actually put your weight more to the rear which would increase rear traction ... but since we aren't talking the kind of torque which can break loose the tires and spin them (by Any rider) this isn't really an issue.

Lots of different issues could be affecting performance .... pretty much the same rtiding position but the rest of the frame geometry is exactly the same? Doubt it. Same wheels? more bearing drag?

I have no idea, but ... UI think pretty much every difference would be marginal except two, aero and weight.

Aero makes a difference above 18 mph (I have heard) and increases geometrically, so it makes a lot more difference the faster you go. However, unless your riding position is drastically different between the two bikes, I wouldn't expect a really big difference.

Weight, now ... on the downhill weight is free speed, so a heavier bike will let you hit a higher top speed for the same effort. once you hit the flat, you have to work harder to maintain that speed (aero) but even as you slow, you are still riding faster than you ever get going on the lighter bike.--and weight means very little once it is moving, particularly on a short burst, so you will never go more slowly on the heavier bike, but you will go more quickly.

If the geometry and riding position id much different between the two bikes, you might also be getting as little more power from one or the other ... but the weight makes the most sense to me. Add a couple-few mph on the downhill section and hold it for the first few hundred yards of the flat and there you are.
Old 01-10-18, 03:33 PM
athrowawaynic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could test overall weight by adding some weight to the bike.

Shorter chain stays could actually put your weight more to the rear which would increase rear traction ... but since we aren't talking the kind of torque which can break loose the tires and spin them (by Any rider) this isn't really an issue.
Yeah, not to the point of breaking traction (so, it's unlike a rear wing on an F1). Someone brought this up the last time I asked.

What about the effect of weight on the tire? I assume rubber doesn't stretch uniformly. More weight on the rear could mean a higher effective pressure (if that's a thing)?
Old 01-10-18, 03:52 PM
Maelochs

I could test overall weight by adding some weight to the bike.
Interesting ... science in action. You should video the whole thing and put it on the Internet---seriously.

I assumed that you were running Strava or RideWithGPS .... either of which would give you readouts of your measured speed at each part of the run. If you are running either app (both free, by the way) you wouldn't need to do much testing ... you could just compare different runs on different bikes and look at where the speed was higher.

But ... the idea of weighing the bikes and adding weight intrigues me.

caveat---beyond a certain mass i would imagine that your ability in the initial acceleration would be impeded---i had assumed you were talking a flying start, and that would be the best way ... hit the start of each segment at the same speed and then go as hard as possible.

Easiest way would be to weight the two bikes and then ballast the lighter one---wear a knapsack or a couple full water bottles or something.

it would make an interesting video .... trying different tests, determining howo much different factors impacted speed at which point in the run.
Old 01-10-18, 04:01 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4377 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
I think it really comes down to chainstay length.

If race vs. endurance is relative, then the main differentiating factor is probably acceleration vs. comfort.

I feel like so much of the fit and rider position can be replicated between the two frames.

But the geometry differs so that your center of gravity relative to the rear axle differs.

E.g., there's this local KOM I've been after. It's a short sprint that starts with a slight downhill, shielded by trees, which then opens up onto a straight stretch of road with no wind cover at all. I've been trying it on both of my bikes (one a 24lb. retroroadie, and the other a 20lb. modern gravel bike). All of the rider/saddle/bar positions are fairly close--I feel I shift around a lot from one ride to the next, so any differences get lost in the noise. I've run the same tires at the same pressures. But I cannot, for the life of me, get as good a performance out of the lighter, more modern bike. It feels like the issue is that the modern bike with the longer stays just cannot spin up as fast, so that when I come out of the chute onto the wide open stretch, I'm just not carrying enough speed.
It could be the 4 pounds difference, but that's easy to test with some full waterbottles.

More likely some difference in your bars, shifters, reach, etc cause you to sit less aero on one bike.

The frame or wheels could somehow be less efficiently transmitting your pedaling energy, but this doesn't seem real likely either.

Or, the combination.
Old 01-10-18, 06:50 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
The impact of chainstay length is rider weight distribution. Great example, a modern TT frame has very short stays and a long front center. To accommodate the rider sitting much further foreword w/o putting too much weight on the front wheel. My Slice has stays almost 10mm shorter than the CAAD10 I ride on the road. They are shorter than my Track bike. And it is by no means a quick handling frame.
Old 01-11-18, 08:10 AM
athrowawaynic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
by no means a quick handling frame.
Handling, sure. How does it compare for straight-line acceleration? (That's what I'm curious about. I assume overall speed is better because of aero.)
Old 01-11-18, 12:08 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Handling, sure. How does it compare for straight-line acceleration? (That's what I'm curious about. I assume overall speed is better because of aero.)
Good question, I don't quantify acceleration rate directly. One comparison I have with a number, peak on my Track or Road bike is 150W or so greater than my TT bike. I think that is a fit issue not necessarily a geometry issue. The base bar on the TT bike is not in as advantageous a position for a full gas standing start or acceleration. No reason to mess with it, suits the purpose and is wandering a ways from the Endurance vs Race geometry topic.
Old 01-11-18, 02:59 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I know the anecdote doesn't make a strong case. I guess it just feels like, having more weight pressed down on the rear wheel transmits more of the power my puny legs generate. (You can tell I'm mostly layman because of the lack of proper use of terminology.)
Do you think that it's possible that the reason that the longer wheelbase bike gets to speed more slowly is due to a difference in handling? I am imagining a counter-steering happening less quickly and scrubbing off a tiny portion of speed against the pavement, maybe every pedal stroke.
Old 01-11-18, 04:29 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raria
Of course, but the hoods on my CAAD12 are still pretty aero compared to an endurance bike geo. My core strength is decent but still, riding a century in such an aero position is beyond my capabilities.
I'm far more comfortable bent over and stretched out, than sitting up. 100 miles.... is that a 4 hour ride or a 7 hour ride? I'll take me "race" geometry for a 100+ miller anytime, but I have friends who prefer the more straight up position. It's more individual then people realize. I get a sore back in a hurry on my "endurance" bike I ride on gravel. What I wouldn't give to drop the handlebars 2 or 3 inches.
Old 01-15-18, 12:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
It is a fairly meaningless claim. Some "endurance" bikes have race geometry, but more headtube and some sort of softer ride. Some race bikes have the same, or even "relaxed" steering geometry.

Generally, "endurance" is a term used to contrast one bike model from another within a brand. It won't steer you to any strict set of features.

Many "race" bikes make fantastic bikes for very long distance riding. Tour de France length riding.
I take the term "Endurance" more literally than most, assuming that the rider will be "enduring" a longer ride, more time in the saddle.

The implication of longer ride time/distance/elevation is that the rider will not be pedaling as forcefully on average than while riding a shorter, more-sporting event.

One implication of a lower pedaling intensity is that there is less torque affecting the rider's fore/aft balance atop the bottom bracket, so less force holding the rider's weight upward against the pull of gravity. The resulting shift in balance puts more weight on the rider's hands, which can make the rider's hands, arms and shoulders very uncomfortable over longer ride distances.

The rider's neck muscles also suffer on longer rides from holding the weight of the head upward.

So Endurance geometry firstly alters the rider's position to address these potential discomforts, by facilitating a more-rearward saddle position with less forward/downward reach to the bars.

In summary, a combination of relaxing the seattube angle and/or shortening the toptube reduces the forward reach to the bars, while a taller headtube allows the bars to move upward. Both changes thus in concert with the rider's body rotating rearward about the bottom bracket toward a balance point that favors a lower pedaling intensity.

The same geometry features that make a good Endurance bike also make a good bike for less-seasoned riders, for older riders, and for off-season riding. Serious and fit racers have less need for an endurance bike up to a point of much greater distance/elevation for the same reason, that they can maintain a high level of pedaling intensity over a much longer ride.

Lower tire pressure and lower gearing also help the rider endure longer rides, as does a more-relaxed steering geometry, so these are also part of the "Endurance" theme with clearance provided for wider tires that can be run safely at lower pressure.

Oh, and make my endurance bike lightweight, no discs please!

Photos below may serve to illustrate Endurance vs. Race rider positioning (where's the rider?!), though here it is more in the fitting setup than in terms of actual frame geometry because these two bikes actually have similar frame angles. Note Endurance bike's softer saddle and much lower gearing.

Last edited by dddd; 01-15-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 12:45 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by dddd
I take the term "Endurance" more literally than most, assuming that the rider will be "enduring" a longer ride, more time in the saddle.
They used to be called "touring bikes."

Exactly what you say---longer rides, the legs don't support as much weight, the butt does. The hands shouldn't---so ........
Old 01-15-18, 01:10 PM
Kontact 

The implication of longer ride time/distance/elevation is that the rider will not be pedaling as forcefully on average than while riding a shorter, more-sporting event.

One implication of a lower pedaling intensity is that there is less torque affecting the rider's fore/aft balance atop the bottom bracket, so less force holding the rider's weight upward against the pull of gravity. The resulting shift in balance puts more weight on the rider's hands, which can make the rider's hands, arms and shoulders very uncomfortable over longer ride distances.

The rider's neck muscles also suffer on longer rides from holding the weight of the head upward.

So Endurance geometry firstly alters the rider's position to address these potential discomforts, by facilitating a more-rearward saddle position with less forward/downward reach to the bars.

In summary, a combination of relaxing the seattube angle and/or shortening the toptube reduces the forward reach to the bars, while a taller headtube allows the bars to move upward. Both changes thus in concert with the rider's body rotating rearward about the bottom bracket toward a balance point that favors a lower pedaling intensity.

The same geometry features that make a good geometry bike also make a good bike for less-seasoned riders, for older riders, and for off-season riding. Serious and fit racers have less need for an endurance bike up to a point of much greater distance/elevation for the same reason, that they can maintain a high level of pedaling intensity over a much longer ride.

Lower tire pressure and lower gearing also help the rider endure longer rides, as does a more-relaxed steering geometry, so these are also part of the "Endurance" theme with clearance provided for wider tires that can be run safely at lower pressure.

Oh, and make my endurance bike lightweight, no discs please!

Photos below may serve to illustrate Endurance vs. Race rider positioning (where's the rider?!), though here it is more in the fitting setup than in terms of actual frame geometry because these two bikes actually have similar frame angles. Note Endurance bike's softer saddle and much lower gearing.

That's all okey-dokey, but you don't need special frame geometry to slide your seat back and raise your bars - especially since modern racers have tall head tubes.
Old 01-15-18, 01:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

They used to be called "touring bikes."

Exactly what you say---longer rides, the legs don't support as much weight, the butt does. The hands shouldn't---so ........

Touring bikes without the long chainstays, and preferably lighter for today's popular and more-sporting Fondo-type events.
These endurance bikes thus do a pretty good job of substituting for a race bike actually, as long as they aren't burdened with excess weight as might be further imposed by disc brakes, battery shifting (or the 2kg wheelset on my Colnago).

I used a Trek 720 touring bike for most of my riding when I lived on the east coast and did most of my riding by myself at an easy pace.
Old 01-15-18, 01:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

That's all okey-dokey, but you don't need special frame geometry to slide your seat back and raise your bars - especially since modern racers have tall head tubes.

I think that Orbea may have been almost ahead of their time and would agree with you.

The bikes I pictured really have just one geometrical difference, and that is the headtube length.
And I only had to move the race bike's saddle forward and fitted a longer stem to be better suited to higher-intensity riding.

The Orbea is a 2004 and the Colnago is a 2016, both bikes have relatively steep seattube angles for an endurance bike at 73.5 degrees, both have 72.5-degree headtube angles and both have 55.5cm toptube length.
And that is purely by coincidence, since both were just opportunistic used-bike buys from extremely motivated sellers.

Most race bikes do have at least a steeper headtube angle than endurance bikes it has to be said, and setting them up with a shorter stem will make the steering quicker yet, not the best on long rides over varied conditions.
And contrarily, putting a longer stem on an endurance bike may not jibe well with the relaxed headtube angle while riding off of the saddle.

Last edited by dddd; 01-15-18 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 02:02 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by 99Klein
I'm far more comfortable bent over and stretched out, than sitting up. 100 miles.... is that a 4 hour ride or a 7 hour ride? I'll take me "race" geometry for a 100+ miller anytime, but I have friends who prefer the more straight up position. It's more individual then people realize. I get a sore back in a hurry on my "endurance" bike I ride on gravel. What I wouldn't give to drop the handlebars 2 or 3 inches.

I had the same problem with an admittedly sorta too-large Scott CR1 that I used for a while.

The lowest stem that I could readily find was called "variable angle" (by means of an eccentric shim), and by appearance atop this bike's 73-degree headtube looks like it achieves all of a -17 degree rise.

Old 01-15-18, 02:27 PM
Kontact 

I think that Orbea may have been almost ahead of their time and would agree with you.

The bikes I pictured really have just one geometrical difference, and that is the headtube length.
And I only had to move the race bike's saddle forward and fitted a longer stem to be better suited to higher-intensity riding.

The Orbea is a 2004 and the Colnago is a 2016, both bikes have relatively steep seattube angles for an endurance bike at 73.5 degrees, both have 72.5-degree headtube angles and both have 55.5cm toptube length.
And that is purely by coincidence, since both were just opportunistic used-bike buys from extremely motivated sellers.

Most race bikes do have at least a steeper headtube angle than endurance bikes it has to be said, and setting them up with a shorter stem will make the steering quicker yet, not the best on long rides over varied conditions.
And contrarily, putting a longer stem on an endurance bike may not jibe well with the relaxed headtube angle while riding off of the saddle.
You aren't going to find "endurance bikes" with relaxed seat tube angles for a different position. No one is selling that fit philosophy in the endurance market. That's a rando thing.
Old 01-15-18, 02:51 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I second @memebag here---weight gives you extra momentum on the downhill, and you can carry an extra mph or two into the start of the flat...

Interesting that his heavier old steel bike is faster on a course that I assume involves an out-of-saddle effort.
The modern gravel bike may have an issue with flexing chainstays due to compromises toward large tire clearances. Lateral flex in back will hold back a sprint effort.
With the rider off of the saddle, suddenly there are large lateral forces at the bottom bracket due to the rider leaning the bike side to side under maximal effort. Longer chainstays here could be a big part of the problem, in that the chainstay length is the lever that converts lateral force at the bb into torque that gets resolved into lateral force at the front wheel's contact patch. Such force at the front wheel tries to push the steering back and forth which the rider must then control. With a wide enough handlebar controlling a short enough stem this may require no additional effort on the rider's part, but the added forces fed into the front tire will cause increased flex in the front end of the bike and would cause increased frictional losses in the front tire as well.

Jan Heine recently tested a "gravel" type bike with what he considered to likely be a flex issue in the chainstays that impeded the rider's acceleration efforts, and here the added loadings of athrowawaynic's gravel bike's longer chainstays being fed into the front half of the bike could only increase the degree that pedaling force is being softened by overall flex.

Last edited by dddd; 01-15-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 03:02 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

You aren't going to find "endurance bikes" with relaxed seat tube angles for a different position. No one is selling that fit philosophy in the endurance market. That's a rando thing.

Yep, the Orbea has a 73.5-degree seattube angle and so does the Colnago.

Often a shorter toptube is used in lieu of any relaxing of the seattube angle, which has the exact same effect on reach and with the only overall difference perhaps being what style (zero or offset) of seatpost that the rider ends up selecting or that the bike comes with.

So the only obvious difference between the Orbea Orca and the Colnago CX-Zero would seem to be the headtube length.
But, since this Colnago in this particular "52s" frame size is generally considered to be the same fit as their standard (vs. compact) 56cm frame, it's 55.5cm TT is rather short for a 56cm frame. The Orbea (a Pro Tour racing bike) is a 55cm frame with same angles and same 55.5cm toptube length.

Last edited by dddd; 01-15-18 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 03:03 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Touring bikes without the long chainstays, and preferably lighter for today's popular and more-sporting Fondo-type events.
Depending on the era being referenced by "used to", that might be in line with what Maelochs was saying. Some of those 1970s sport tourers were pretty close to what endurance road bikes are today.

Like, I've got one of these. Chainstays aren't crazy short, but full-length fenders are a pretty tight fit. Granny gear of about 32 inches, very similar to what you get with the 34-28 on a lot of endurance road bikes now. It's a couple pounds heavier than the similar-tier racing bikes of its model year, but those were running tubulars and had comparatively extremely narrow gearing.
Old 01-15-18, 03:16 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Depending on the era being referenced by "used to", that might be in line with what Maelochs was saying. Some of those 1970s sport tourers were pretty close to what endurance road bikes are today.

Like, I've got one of these. Chainstays aren't crazy short, but full-length fenders are a pretty tight fit. Granny gear of about 32 inches, very similar to what you get with the 34-28 on a lot of endurance road bikes now. It's a couple pounds heavier than the similar-tier racing bikes of its model year, but those were running tubulars and had comparatively extremely narrow gearing.

I rode a very similar Fuji S12-S-LTD back in the early 80's that had just the sort of sprightly-but-stable ride that I thought was awesome. Even the wheels and tires they spec'd on it were a contemporary and just-right 25mm (labeled as 28mm or 1-1/8" or some such) mounted to decently-wide rims. Geometry was 73x73. They really had the formula down, and of course those bikes take bigger tires easily and had plenty-low gearing.

I sold my Fuji just one day after buying (half-price sale day) a Trek 720 and a Cannondale R400 in 1986. Neither of those bikes would prove as well rounded as the Fuji, but each was specialized in it's purpose, I always had a second/spare bike from then on, and my days of comparing different geometries and gearing strategies had begun.

Last edited by dddd; 01-15-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 04:52 PM
RoadLight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
I often read in reviews, and hear people talking, about a bike in terms of geometry. A road bike has either an endurance or a race geometry,or so it seems.

What does that mean? I know that with endurance bikes the riding position is typically more upright, but what are the other differences one should be looking at, in regards to these two different descriptions of geometry?

Also, just because a bike has an "endurance" geometry does that mean it lacks something and would not make a good race bike? What about the opposite, if a bike has "race" geometry, does that mean it would be a poor endurance bike?

What is the deal with sloping top tubes? Why are they not horizontal? What about compact geometry? Is that more exclusive to endurance bikes or race bikes?

Thanks.
Hi mrblue,

Race vs Endurance Geometry
Like raria, I'm surprised by the variety of the response you're receiving. There are two geometries here (the position of the cyclist's body and the layout of the frame) and raria hit the nail on the head: it's all about aerodynamics. The single biggest resistance to a cyclist going fast is wind resistance as the cyclist pushes themself and their bike through the air. The only exception is when climbing a very steep hill or mountain when the total weight takes over as the source of greatest resistance.

When racing a bicycle on most road courses, the wind resistance will be so high that it will dwarf all others (like rolling resistance and drivetrain resistance). That's why a heavier aerodynamic bike is faster than a lighter non-aero bike.

A "race geometry" is the one where the cyclist assumes a body position with the least wind resistance that they can hold for the length of the race while still being able to deliver their maximum power to the pedals. In order to achieve this, they will often select a road bike frame that is a little smaller. For example, a cyclist that normally fits a 58 cm frame will often choose a 56 mm frame. They will position their body on the bike so their back is parallel to the road and their head does not stick up, resulting in the need for their handlebars to be lower and farther forward (farther away from the seat).

The race geometry will not produce the most comfortable position. The cyclist is sacrificing comfort for decreased drag so they can go faster with less effort. It takes years of experience to dial in the optimal position. And it often takes years of experience to adapt to a full "aero" position. Some well-funded pro teams do extensive wind resistance tests to "dial in" the geometry for each cyclist on their team. The goal is to get the cyclist into the most aerodynamic position possible, within the UCI rules, without reducing the cyclists power at the pedals and without making it too dangerous or uncomfortable to the cyclist. The biggest danger is not being able to tilt your head back adequately to see down the road. The biggest discomfort is the neck, shoulders and back.

When riding in a time trial, the cyclist can safely be pushed into a more aggressive aerodynamic position than for general road racing because they will be riding solo or with their team only and will not need the visibility required to safely travel in a peloton. Plus, UCI rules permit aerobars to be used during time trials which, by resting the upper body weight on the forearm pads, helps make an aero position more comfortable. In fact, with properly fit aerobars, the only source of discomfort is usually the neck. But this can vary greatly, depending on the individual cyclist.

Other factors also contribute to a bicycle's "race geometry" that are not influenced by aerodynamics or the cyclist's body position and they are secondary in nature. For example, most pro cyclists desire fast maneuverability in a race. To provide this, the "trail" of the fork is shortened. This gives the bike a "twitchy" feel where seemingly tiny movements of the handlebar result in large changes in direction.

And, as others have noted, the wheelbase, bottom bracket shell height, etc, also influence a frame's race geometry but these are, in my opinion, subjects that delve deeper than I can here.

An "endurance geometry" is a tradeoff of both the cyclist body position and frame layout in favor of comfort so that the cyclist can endure a longer time on the bike without the aid of aerobars. Keeping wind resistance to a minimum is still important, but the cyclist will be on the bike longer than most road races so the cyclist's body position must be relaxed a little with head and shoulders higher than the hips so as to reduce discomfort. The cyclist may be pushing well into exhaustion and may not be able to maintain their balance as well. For this reason, a longer fork "trail" will be used to add more stability.

The endurance geometry is better for amateur cyclists who have not trained for a race geometry and will usually find the latter uncomfortable. But this idea is misleading because an endurance geometry puts more weight on the lower back, hips and hands. If the amateur is able to use aerobars on a regular basis, they will often discover that a race geometry is more comfortable because they can rest their upper body on their forearms -- not their hands.

Sloping top tubes
Dial back the clock to the time when steel-frame bikes dominated road racing and most manufacturers chose to use a horizontal top tube because it increased the size of the triangle formed by the top tube, down tube and seat tube, producing a frame with less unwanted flexibility. Back then, the easiest way to determine if a frame was the correct size was to test its stand-over height. If your crotch cleared the top tube by an inch or so when you straddled the bike with both feet flat on the ground (in your cycling shoes), it was a good fit. (Not entirely, but I'm trying to simplify.)

The problem with those frame designs is the top tube was very high and always in the way (unless you sized down like a pro cyclist). I still have my classic 1985 Fuji road bike with its quad-butted steel frame and horizontal top tube. I can't count the number of times that I "racked" myself hitting the top tube unexpectedly. ;-(

Improvements in frame construction methods and, to a lesser extend, materials, enabled bike frame manufacturers to achieve a good, if not superior, ride with a sloping top tube. This eliminated (mostly) the pain of landing on your top tube and generally increased ease of use of the bike. It also made it easier to fit a bike to a cyclist because a frame with a sloped top tube usually offers a wider range of seat height adjustment and the stand-over height no longer presents a primary impediment to fit. As far as I'm aware, a sloping top tube doesn't have anything to do with "race" vs "endurance" geometry. It's a general improvement that works well with either geometry.

Compact geometry
To me "compact geometry" either means: A pro cyclist choosing an undersized bike frame in order to decrease drag and weight. Or, a type of crankset with a smaller BCD (usually 110 mm) designed for slightly smaller chainrings. I think "compact crankset" is the more common phrase used.

But there is a third possibility that comes to mind: Some aero bike frame designs shorten the wheelbase in a couple of ways. The seat tube is curved and the seat and chain stays are shortened in order to move the rear wheel closer to the bottom bracket. This often involves lowering the seat stays as well. The down tube is curved (or has a curved cutout) to enable the front wheel to tuck in closer. The goal is to reduce drag, making the bike frame, fork and wheels more aerodynamic.

Therefore, it's hard to know what "compact geometry" is referring to without seeing the context in which the phrase is used. However, I don't think that a "compact geometry" relates to a "race geometry" even though they may have very similar goals (reduced drag).

Kind regards, RoadLight
Likes For RoadLight:
Old 01-15-18, 05:25 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by RoadLight
Hi mrblue,

Race vs Endurance Geometry
Like raria, I'm surprised by the variety of the response you're receiving. There are two geometries here (the position of the cyclist's body and the layout of the frame) and raria hit the nail on the head: it's all about aerodynamics. The single biggest resistance to a cyclist going fast is wind resistance as the cyclist pushes themself and their bike through the air. The only exception is when climbing a very steep hill or mountain when the total weight takes over as the source of greatest resistance.

When racing a bicycle on most road courses, the wind resistance will be so high that it will dwarf all others (like rolling resistance and drivetrain resistance). That's why a heavier aerodynamic bike is faster than a lighter non-aero bike.

A "race geometry" is the one where the cyclist assumes a body position with the least wind resistance that they can hold for the length of the race while still being able to deliver their maximum power to the pedals. In order to achieve this, they will often select a road bike frame that is a little smaller. For example, a cyclist that normally fits a 58 cm frame will often choose a 56 mm frame. They will position their body on the bike so their back is parallel to the road and their head does not stick up, resulting in the need for their handlebars to be lower and farther forward (farther away from the seat).

The race geometry will not produce the most comfortable position. The cyclist is sacrificing comfort for decreased drag so they can go faster with less effort. It takes years of experience to dial in the optimal position. And it often takes years of experience to adapt to a full "aero" position. Some well-funded pro teams do extensive wind resistance tests to "dial in" the geometry for each cyclist on their team. The goal is to get the cyclist into the most aerodynamic position possible, within the UCI rules, without reducing the cyclists power at the pedals and without making it too dangerous or uncomfortable to the cyclist. The biggest danger is not being able to tilt your head back adequately to see down the road. The biggest discomfort is the neck, shoulders and back.

When riding in a time trial, the cyclist can safely be pushed into a more aggressive aerodynamic position than for general road racing because they will be riding solo or with their team only and will not need the visibility required to safely travel in a peloton. Plus, UCI rules permit aerobars to be used during time trials which, by resting the upper body weight on the forearm pads, helps make an aero position more comfortable. In fact, with properly fit aerobars, the only source of discomfort is usually the neck. But this can vary greatly, depending on the individual cyclist.

Other factors also contribute to a bicycle's "race geometry" that are not influenced by aerodynamics or the cyclist's body position and they are secondary in nature. For example, most pro cyclists desire fast maneuverability in a race. To provide this, the "trail" of the fork is shortened. This gives the bike a "twitchy" feel where seemingly tiny movements of the handlebar result in large changes in direction.

And, as others have noted, the wheelbase, bottom bracket shell height, etc, also influence a frame's race geometry but these are, in my opinion, subjects that delve deeper than I can here.

An "endurance geometry" is a tradeoff of both the cyclist body position and frame layout in favor of comfort so that the cyclist can endure a longer time on the bike without the aid of aerobars. Keeping wind resistance to a minimum is still important, but the cyclist will be on the bike longer than most road races so the cyclist's body position must be relaxed a little with head and shoulders higher than the hips so as to reduce discomfort. The cyclist may be pushing well into exhaustion and may not be able to maintain their balance as well. For this reason, a longer fork "trail" will be used to add more stability.

The endurance geometry is better for amateur cyclists who have not trained for a race geometry and will usually find the latter uncomfortable. But this idea is misleading because an endurance geometry puts more weight on the lower back, hips and hands. If the amateur is able to use aerobars on a regular basis, they will often discover that a race geometry is more comfortable because they can rest their upper body on their forearms -- not their hands.

Sloping top tubes
Dial back the clock to the time when steel-frame bikes dominated road racing and most manufacturers chose to use a horizontal top tube because it increased the size of the triangle formed by the top tube, down tube and seat tube, producing a frame with less unwanted flexibility. Back then, the easiest way to determine if a frame was the correct size was to test its stand-over height. If your crotch cleared the top tube by an inch or so when you straddled the bike with both feet flat on the ground (in your cycling shoes), it was a good fit. (Not entirely, but I'm trying to simplify.)

The problem with those frame designs is the top tube was very high and always in the way (unless you sized down like a pro cyclist). I still have my classic 1985 Fuji road bike with its quad-butted steel frame and horizontal top tube. I can't count the number of times that I "racked" myself hitting the top tube unexpectedly. ;-(

Improvements in frame construction methods and, to a lesser extend, materials, enabled bike frame manufacturers to achieve a good, if not superior, ride with a sloping top tube. This eliminated (mostly) the pain of landing on your top tube and generally increased ease of use of the bike. It also made it easier to fit a bike to a cyclist because a frame with a sloped top tube usually offers a wider range of seat height adjustment and the stand-over height no longer presents a primary impediment to fit. As far as I'm aware, a sloping top tube doesn't have anything to do with "race" vs "endurance" geometry. It's a general improvement that works well with either geometry.

Compact geometry
To me "compact geometry" either means: A pro cyclist choosing an undersized bike frame in order to decrease drag and weight. Or, a type of crankset with a smaller BCD (usually 110 mm) designed for slightly smaller chainrings. I think "compact crankset" is the more common phrase used.

But there is a third possibility that comes to mind: Some aero bike frame designs shorten the wheelbase in a couple of ways. The seat tube is curved and the seat and chain stays are shortened in order to move the rear wheel closer to the bottom bracket. This often involves lowering the seat stays as well. The down tube is curved (or has a curved cutout) to enable the front wheel to tuck in closer. The goal is to reduce drag, making the bike frame, fork and wheels more aerodynamic.

Therefore, it's hard to know what "compact geometry" is referring to without seeing the context in which the phrase is used. However, I don't think that a "compact geometry" relates to a "race geometry" even though they may have very similar goals (reduced drag).

Kind regards, RoadLight
There is nothing about a "race geometry" frame that forces or even strongly encourages an aero position. Many high end race frames have tall head tubes and racers struggle to get into a low position.

So the only obvious difference between the Orbea Orca and the Colnago CX-Zero would seem to be the headtube length.
But, since this Colnago in this particular "52s" frame size is generally considered to be the same fit as their standard (vs. compact) 56cm frame, it's 55.5cm TT is rather short for a 56cm frame. The Orbea (a Pro Tour racing bike) is a 55cm frame with same angles and same 55.5cm toptube length.
Endurance frames also don't have short top tubes. Those variation are normal among racing bikes.

There is way too much theoretical made up stuff in this thread. The philosophy of "endurance" does not mean that the frame geometry numbers are anything other than what you see when you look at a geometry chart, neither of the above notions are found in geometry charts.

So can we please stick to reality?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.