Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

So disappointed by Cycliq

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

So disappointed by Cycliq

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 05:45 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
With the fly6, the rubber sealer broke off. Contacting their C/S was futile. I've just used duct tape, and hope it doesn't rain too much.... If there was another company that offered the same product, I'd give them a try.
Old 07-04-20, 07:43 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2
With the fly6, the rubber sealer broke off. Contacting their C/S was futile. I've just used duct tape, and hope it doesn't rain too much.... If there was another company that offered the same product, I'd give them a try.
Same issue and response from Cycliq was to tell me no parts available, but used gaffers tape or foil (proper) duct sealing tape, both leave little to no residue and foil guarantees seal against water.
Old 07-10-20, 08:54 AM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Same problem. Cycliq blamed me and also said warranty was void.
Old 11-27-20, 11:54 AM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
To the posters and to Cycliq:

This thread again pushed me away from buying this product.

Price and Problem User vs. Satisfied Customer
Even at $209 (Fly 12 CE) for Cycliq's holiday sale (Black Friday), there's still additional costs for an SD card and perhaps another accessory, that's still quite a lot of money for an accessory with such widespread issues. I understand, the segment (typical user, not a tech reviewer/vlog, etc) for whom their cam is not acting up don't come on forums in all likelihood at the rate that dissatisfied customers do and say "Wow, this camera is great, I have no problems!" There's not much to say.

The problem user is also looking to get some insight or help. Even on this thread, JohnJ said in summary: Mine is working fine and then it wasn't and then a new product was good..when it's working. That's the obvious sticking point. It's clearly a bit of a risk and when there are fairly few others that chime in and say "Mine is working fine", it gives me major pause.

Too much risk for a product I don't really want that much
I really don't like the idea of using a camera, but that's mainly because I already have so many accessories already mounted to my handlebars so there's a space/weight issue. I'm finding GoPro cameras are pretty low battery life searching online and of course take up more space than Cycliq (width wise). There appears to be workaround for GoPro, but seems like it would take some knowledge and know-how and I believe for an older model (drilling a hole somewhere and using an external battery).

Buying a cam is just one more thing to manage/worry about being stolen/damaged/store, charge batteries, etc..I don't want a product I'm already considering, not because I really want it (not as useful as a light), but as an insurance/evidence factor, to have seemingly major reliability/customer service issues. Would much rather have safer infra but that's only in limited spaces and gradually and half-assed in all too many cases where I live, whether it's glass/dirt or design being so so..TBH though it's often how rushed or cautious people drive.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 11-27-20 at 12:40 PM.
Likes For DTownDave22:
Old 11-27-20, 08:15 PM
howardv

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
My Cycliq Fly6 broke down after 10 months. Contacted them and opened a trouble ticket. After a week of going back and forth by e-mail, including having to make a video of myself performing the tests, they asked that I ship it back to them for further evaluation. BACK TO AUSTRALIA. I paid $30 for shipping (from USA) and waited 2 weeks until they got it. They confirmed it's defective and offered me a coupon to buy the new Gen3. I told them I just wanted mine repaired/replaced under warranty. They said none of the older (Gen2) models are available. I have to wait until they finish with the Gen3 production and then they'll produce more Gen2 for warranty purposes. Then they blamed Covid19. They decided to produce a new model without having sufficient older models in stock to replace defective units under warranty and it's Covid's fault????

They have no time estimate of when they'll be able to replace mine under warranty. It's been more than a month and still waiting.

Cycliq is a publicly traded company in the Australian stock market. Their stock price has plunged by 90% since it started trading 3 years ago. They are absolute junk and don't honor their warranty. I see a bankrupt company pretty soon. Stay away from their products.
Old 11-27-20, 08:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
One can get extended life batteries for at least some Gopro models. Also light modules for the Gopro. Probably a bit of hacking to get it to all work as a good night camera.