Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Share your Top speed on your road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Share your Top speed on your road bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 12:21 PM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Thanks for the rubbish comment. LOL. Of course I bend down, AFTER I wizz out.
And I did 2 tours of 8,100 miles at the weight of a whole TdF TEAM's bikes> LOL 120 lbs. With a ROHLOFF of course.
Here my video, where's yours?? LOL. My newest video shows my present configuration. The sound is worse with a bigger wind. The road was rougher but my speedo did hit exactly 46.0.
My longest ride this year was 133.66 miles with the SA RD5w. Only one hill like in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5mC3UC7Ln8&feature=youtu.be
And note, both were from a standing start.
I LOVE my efficient super reliable IGH hubs.
The speedometer system you use can be modified to double the recorded speed by using two magnets instead of one. Also, the footage looks sped up as if the cars are going 80 miles per hour.
Old 11-11-20, 08:34 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
53 MPH about 7 years ago on the straight and steep. A cross wind hit me and I was in the other lane before I knew what hit. Now I seldom go above 40.
Old 11-11-20, 10:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We once hit 65 on a pass descent on our tandem. Both positions have aero bars. Known 4-lane road, gentle sweepers, good pavement. I don't know whether Stoker had her eyes open or not.
Old 11-11-20, 10:09 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
The speedometer system you use can be modified to double the recorded speed by using two magnets instead of one. Also, the footage looks sped up as if the cars are going 80 miles per hour.
You're funny man. LOL. Conspiracy theories now?? Where is the splice??
This whole video is unedited. The cars go by slower and slower as I go faster. My tires are making a hum from about 21 to 32 mph. You can hear it going on and off 4 times. I can't FAKE that.
At my max speed the motorcycle and black truck go by at 111 mph >> 45.5 + 65.5 approx.
60 mph = 88 feet /sec. So 111 mph = 162.5 ft/ sec.
Divide by 25 ft. for the truck and you get 1/6 of a sec. Compares exactly to the video.
Picking out a speeded up video is fricking EASY. The jiggling cables are what's distorting the view.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-12-20 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-12-20, 05:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
For years my top speed was in the high 40s, and I' would always try and break the 50 mph barrier, but I never could.
Now, I don't like going faster than the low 40s.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-12-20, 05:52 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I remember hitting 44 mph on some descent here in SoCal on a group ride a long time ago. I had been in the area for about three weeks, and had literally no idea where I was. Good thing they didn't drop me! I was on a Dawes Atlantis, which someone once told me was a crit bike, because the steering was so steep. 44 mph was pretty terrifying on that thing. Now I routinely hit mid-30s on my old StumpJumper, and it's pretty cool how stable it feels.
Old 11-12-20, 07:40 PM
chrisenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of these speeds are wild! According to Garmin, I hit 42.7 mph one time last year.

I know I was a bit faster than years ago while going downhill when I couldn't make a turn and went off the road into some woods. (I wasn't even tucked in for speed. Just didn't realize how fast I was going and couldn't brake in time.) Since then, I'm very hesitant to go any faster than mid 30s. Start getting nervous after that.
Old 11-12-20, 07:57 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
According to Strava, I routinely hit the mid 40 mph range going down a fast sweeper on 9W heading northbound, right after crossing the NJ/NY border. In my mind, it's actually safer to get into the 40s there. You can never tell what kind of crap you'll get on the shoulder (gravel, broken glass), so if you're carrying any speed going into the descent, you'll have more reliable traction in the vehicle lane, which has a speed limit of 45mph. If I'm traveling in the car lane, I'd better be going in the middle of the lane at car speeds to prevent anybody from trying to pass me on a curving descent. That actually happened once - I had decided to take it easy on that descent, stayed on the shoulder, and a coach bus passed me with a considerable lean (luckily, leaning away from me). One of the scariest traffic-related moments I've had on a bike.
Old 11-12-20, 07:59 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
79kph, since i started strava. On a downhill segment last fall. GPS says that speed was just a bit before a blind left bend followed by a stop sign, and was preceded by a sketchy blind right that had to be taken without touching the brakes. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
That's behavior of a guy who's going to break his neck. Which i did, about a month later on a different descent.
So yeah, not ever topping that PR.
Old 11-13-20, 01:09 PM
satrain18

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I said sped up, not spliced.

This whole video is unedited. The cars go by slower and slower as I go faster. My tires are making a hum from about 21 to 32 mph. You can hear it going on and off 4 times. I can't FAKE that.
You can easily fool the speedometer into doubling the listed speed by adding a second screw-on magnet to the wheel. That's why I trust accelerometers.
Old 11-13-20, 03:24 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
A couple summers ago I was vacationing in Park City UT, staying at a resort on top of a mountain that was primarily used for winter skiers. Each day to ride across the city towards any of the favorite routes of the local roadies I would have to descend that mountain, which included a ~2 mile section of 10% grade. Two days in a row I hit 58mph first thing in the morning.

Of course, you tend to forget about those milestones when the last thing in the day is having to climb back up that 2 mile 10% hill to get home!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 11-15-20, 12:24 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I've topped out at a little over 50mph which was fast enough for me. 40+ isn't rare depending on the terrain and familiarity with the descent.
Old 11-15-20, 01:21 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I got up to 65 km/h once. That was a once-in-a-lifetime ride, but I'll never do that again.
Old 11-23-20, 05:49 PM
gofastdontcrash
#gofastdontcrash

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL7 Sagan, S-Works Venge, Specialized Stumjumper Pro Carbon, Beach Cruiser, NS Zircus

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 7 Posts
I've topped out at 53 mph, but I'm regularly hitting between 47mph and 50mph on my steeper descents.
Old 11-23-20, 08:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,628 Times in 2,916 Posts
Originally Posted by gofastdontcrash
I've topped out at 53 mph, but I'm regularly hitting between 47mph and 50mph on my steeper descents.
I too enjoy speed. Probably an artifact of ski racing. Enjoy watching the speedo climb, but anything above 45 mph makes nervous about deer running out of the woods and doing a major impact. Wished there were some descents without trees so They could relax at your speeds. Great interweb name!

Old 11-24-20, 12:30 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
On my road bike during a group ride there was this massive hill we flew down. Managed to hit 48 MPH before I chickened out and slowed.

On my tandem with a good buddy, coming down a mountain pass (RAMROD) we hit 62. It was terrifying, especially when we passed an RV. One small mistake, chipmunk or blowout could have ruined our whole day. There were several guys trying to draft us during the descent which pealed off one by one. Never attempted to repeat that but we did hit the mid 50s a few times, still scary.
My wife and I have been riding a tandem for over 35 years now, and we hit the mid 50s while going down one of our local hills about 25 years ago. Since the tandem remained very stable, the speed really didn't bother me, but I'll have to admit that I've been a little nervous about venturing into that territory again. Perhaps age has something to do with that......
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 11-24-20, 10:10 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I used to do a double metric with my droogs. There was a long straight, steep hill with a visible straight runout. I'd tuck and let her run, topping out at 55. I called it "Cheecegrater Hill" because of the rather rough chipseal on it. Never had a problem on it, though. My road bike is very stable at speed.
Old 11-24-20, 06:13 PM
gofastdontcrash
#gofastdontcrash

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL7 Sagan, S-Works Venge, Specialized Stumjumper Pro Carbon, Beach Cruiser, NS Zircus

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I too enjoy speed. Probably an artifact of ski racing. Enjoy watching the speedo climb, but anything above 45 mph makes nervous about deer running out of the woods and doing a major impact. Wished there were some descents without trees so They could relax at your speeds. Great interweb name!
Thanks rsbob! I haven't had any close calls with any deer yet (even though they are in the area where I ride) but I did lock up the brakes and fishtail few weeks ago when I came flying around a bend to find a flock of wild turkeys in the road. The pucker factor was high!
Likes For gofastdontcrash: