Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

English (style) three speeds-- buying advice?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 12:54 PM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

After learning to appreciate vintage steel road and touring bikes, I've now started to get an itch to get a vintage three speed, Raleigh style sports, etc... I've read SB info, but looking for more practical buying advice as I start looking for one. Are there eras, brands (aside from the obvious knock-off brands), or features to either avoid or seek out?

For people with expertise in this area, think of this as a lesson in "things you wished you'd known" before you bought your vintage 3 speed. Thanks!

Last edited by mnmkpedals; 02-24-14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 01:06 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
there are pros and cons about the all steel bicycle, one of them is the steel rims and braking issues, plus they weigh a ton , they are a treasure to own, i have a 75 raleigh sports and i love it more every year, you can't miss with a 70's sports, they come standard with an AW hub and are indestructable, they usually can be found in decent shape and can be had for cheap. older ones had various configs that made it better/worse,

things you want to remember, the Superbe was just a sports with all the toys, DL-1/Tourist was the cadilac of the Raleigh 3 speed, deserving of its own thread. Hercules, Triumph and Phillips were all owned by Raleigh and usually are just rebadged sports, don't be afraid to check them out as well,

sheldon brown has a ton of info on retro raleighs here

pic of my sports

Last edited by GordoTrek; 02-24-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 01:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
One thing to look for is that the shift cable goes to a cable stop ("fulcrum") top tube, and then to a pulley wheel at the seat post, and then to the hub. If it goes through a housing all the way to the chain stay, that's not so good. Cheaper Raleighs do that sometimes.

Another thing is that some of these bikes have an elegant chain ring, with a design cut into it. Most familiar is the 3 herons (Raleigh), but there are a number of cool designs including Norman soldiers (Norman) and brand names (Hercules, Armstrong, J. C. Higgins). This adds considerably to the coolness.

In general I'd avoid Japanese, not because Japanese is low quality (it's not) but because the Japanese three speed bikes made for export were exceptionally cheap and, well, just inelegant. They're really pretty good bikes, I just don't like them so much.

One thing to NOT avoid is the Austrian made Sears bikes. The early ones are branded J. C. Higgins, the later ones are branded Free Spirit, and in terms of quality I think they're as good as any Raleigh.

Finally, make sure it's complete. Two fenders, please! If there's no chain guard, figure out why: if it's a high end lightweight model, then it's fine that there's no chain guard; but if it's a Raleigh Sports or something, it has to have a chain guard.
Old 02-24-14, 01:15 PM
mnmkpedals 

Originally Posted by rhm
One thing to NOT avoid is the Austrian made Sears bikes. The early ones are branded J. C. Higgins, the later ones are branded Free Spirit, and in terms of quality I think they're as good as any Raleigh.
Thanks for the quick and good advice! Particularly this-- I had actually just seen (and passed on) a Sear made in austria. Was good looking bike, but having seen Sears road bikes from the 80s..... hard to erase my thoughts about the brand! good to know though.
Old 02-24-14, 01:34 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention the most important thing. It has to be a bike you like. It has to have a style that appeals to you. Don't compromise on this, and don't try to be rational about it.

So the word "Sears" has bad associations for you, nuts to Sears! I tend to feel that way about Shimano (which is why I say to avoid the Japanese ones!).
Old 02-24-14, 01:58 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Lots of good options out there. Raleigh is the way to go if you can find one, the older the better. AW hub is the best. I don't avoid the Japanese built 3 speeds, I just make sure they are complete prior to purchase, parts are harder to source than for the English built ones, and quite often sell for a bit less. I built up a 80's Huffy Baypoint 3 speed for a friend of mine to use as a neighborhood bike, she has been riding it to work in Florida for the past 4 years with no issues. It was dirt cheap (free) and has the Shimano 3 speed hub, go figure.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-24-14, 02:25 PM
debit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I'd known that I wouldnt be able to stop collecting them. I'm forever grateful that my desire for one forced me to learn how to build my own wheels.
Old 02-24-14, 02:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Originally Posted by mnmkpedals
Thanks for the quick and good advice! Particularly this-- I had actually just seen (and passed on) a Sear made in austria. Was good looking bike, but having seen Sears road bikes from the 80s..... hard to erase my thoughts about the brand! good to know though.
Be sure to read the fine print; not all Sears bikes were Austrian. Some were USA made and they're tanks compared to the Austrian models. An Austrian Free Spirit may have an Austrian hub as well -- no worries, these were Sturmey-Archer AW clones made under license.
Old 02-24-14, 02:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
Don't get one made after 1978. And get one made in England.

once you get it, it might or might not be worthwhile replacing the steel rims with aluminum ones. I decided against it on mine. I own too many bikes, so I just won't ride my Sports in the rain. Also, the chrome has started to come off my rims, and that is ugly but it vastly improves braking. Who'd a thunk that?

i replaced the rims on my Twenty with aluminum rims. As a result, the rear brake kinda sorta works. I installed a drum brake front hub which brakes very well in any weather. That bike is now safe and comfortable for riding at any speed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-24-14, 02:39 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by mnmkpedals
Are there eras, brands (aside from the obvious knock-off brands), or features to either avoid or seek out?
As long as it fits, is complete w/ mudguards & chainguard and has an AW hub you are good to go.
British 3 speeds were designed to be reliable transportation when autos were less common and still are today.

Avoid any w/ the Shimano 333 hub, never reliable and no longer serviceable.

"When a Sturmey-Archer hub gives problems, it can almost always be repaired, usually without needing any parts replacement.
When an older Shimano 3-speed hub fails, it is most often because one of the under-engineered pawls has shattered. The hub may still work after a fashion, so the rider continues to use it until the broken fragments of the pawls have gone on to destroy the gears and other parts, making the hub basically irreparable."-Sheldon Brown

I still see Raleigh Sports in reasonable knick pop up on my local CL at less than collector prices.

-Bandera
Old 02-24-14, 03:15 PM
JTTDF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If keeping the steel wheels, its very helpful for good braking to replace the old brake pads with orange koolstops. The standard Campagnolo koolstop pads fit well on Raleigh brakes with just a little trimming for length. I learned from another thread on this forum to put the holders in the freezer for a while before attempting to pull the old pads out. The pads shrink more than the metal and, with some elbow grease and pliers, they will grudgingly slide out. Even with good pads, the brakes still won't work very well in the wet, but they will be better.
Old 02-24-14, 04:18 PM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
The AW SA hub (introduced 1936) is a big plus on any older British bicycle. I would look for names such as BSA, Hercules, Phillips, Triumph, Armstrong, Sunbeam, Rudge, Humber, Dunelt, in addition to Raleigh, and the older the better.

Originally Posted by rhm
Oh, I forgot to mention the most important thing. It has to be a bike you like. It has to have a style that appeals to you. Don't compromise on this, and don't try to be rational about it.......
^ Great advice.
Old 02-24-14, 05:10 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

Finally, make sure it's complete. Two fenders, please! If there's no chain guard, figure out why: if it's a high end lightweight model, then it's fine that there's no chain guard; but if it's a Raleigh Sports or something, it has to have a chain guard.
+1 on the Austrian made Sears. I wish that I had never sold mine.
Old 02-24-14, 06:26 PM
SpiritCyclist
Pedal On

Bikes: I ride 'em!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I'll chime in on this. I didn't know ANYTHING about British 3-speeds until I saw a 1969 Raleigh Sports pop up on Craigslist. It looked cool, and I did some quick research before deciding to grab it. It was covered in dust, dirt, and cobwebs, but after a good cleaning she looks like a million bucks. Came with the original Brooks saddle, leather saddle bag, and aluminum frame pump - actually, everything on the bike was 100% original. The tires hold air and I've ridden it around the block more than a few times. So that's something to keep in mind - what looks like a junker may turn out to be tip-top once you remove a couple layers of grime. I've since become fascinated with hub gearing and 3-speeds in general. In fact, I'm in the process of rebuilding my SA AW hub right now. It's a lot of fun!
Old 02-24-14, 06:50 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by debit
I wish I'd known that I wouldnt be able to stop collecting them. I'm forever grateful that my desire for one forced me to learn how to build my own wheels.
If that isn't a truism, I don't know what is. I'm somewhere around the 40 mark and need to to some thinning of the herd.
Old 02-24-14, 06:58 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by debit
Originally Posted by photogravity
If that isn't a truism, I don't know what is. I'm somewhere around the 40 mark and need to to some thinning of the herd.
Yup we be a bunch of sick puppies

I was looking at the ever growing pile... COLLECTION of bikes and thinking back to when I only had one... (might have been two)

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-24-14, 08:50 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
As long as it fits, is complete w/ mudguards & chainguard
Mmmmmm, sometimes 1/2 naked is fun. My first 3 spd. came with out guards and at a very reasonable price. I just flipped the bars, added a Brooks and had a blast.
Old 02-24-14, 09:00 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+10 Think complete. Nice 3 speeds are plentiful and reasonably priced in many parts of the country. Myself, I picked up a pair of Raleigh Sport Gold Editions. They fail a couple of the tests above, mainly the stupid twist grip shifters and no fulcrum. But I liked them, and I liked the matching racks. So why not?

Original racks, chain guards, fenders, even pedals all have value. So getting one complete is a thrifty way to go.

+1 As you add #2 , #3 , and so on to your collection, then go for variety, complete or not.

As found:

Last edited by wrk101; 02-24-14 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 09:06 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Completes are nice, but since we all end up with more than one....why pass up the orphan missing a few limbs?

This one was complete, met all the requirements listed above, just rusty & dirty

Old 02-24-14, 09:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

You'll enjoy reading the thread called "For the love of English 3-speeds."

I've worked on hundreds and hundreds of bikes. There is nothing in my mind that is as reliable and durable as this kind of bike. The fraction of these bikes among the bikes in use I see on the streets of NYC is amazing. Given how many were sold and how long ago they've been out of production, you would think someone would recreated it, but I suspect the Pashley is something else. Just get an old one and fix it up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-24-14, 09:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

That Dunelt looks spectacular, Velognome.

Old 02-24-14, 10:02 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
If you run across one of those Raleigh folding bikes (model 20) on Craigslist, snap it up. They hold up well and are quite addicting.
Old 02-24-14, 10:10 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
On another thread, the Huffy Sportsman was mentioned. Despite the Huffy headbadge, this model is a Raleigh clone- made in Nottingham, England. These models seem to have a few features not found on other Raleigh clones; like an oiler cap on the bottom bracket shell and the previously mentioned "proper" shift cable run with a pulley. Because of the poor regard that Huffy is generally held in, these "Sportsman" models are often overlooked and undervalued.
AMF, the American sporting goods maufacturer, also had a Raleigh rebrand that used the venerable "Hercules" brand. Depending on the year, these models were often equiped exactly like the Raleigh Sports models. In other words,the various rebrands can be an exceptional value.

Last edited by elcraft; 02-24-14 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-25-14, 12:02 AM
mnmkpedals 

All excellent advice. Thank you. I can see the reason for the addiction being easy. So many varieties. I am thinking of being real picky with the first purchase, since I see so many out there, especially for budget reasons. What started this was getting a visually attractive, but very badly neglected Polish made "Tyler" women's three speed for free from someone. Kind of cool in its own right.

I've tracked down basics on it, so I know it is low end, but a free experiment to see if I could bring it back. Practice. Though think it might be beyond repair; but considering that the woman had used it as "yard art" in the rainy northwest for a while, it's actually survived paint cosmetically quite well. Mechanically, another matter...no stuck seat post, but stem seems to be.

Pardon the "shoes" pic, never thought I'd be posting these anywhere. But yeah, having played with it even a little bit, makes me want a nice model, a men's one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo-274.jpg (51.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg
photo-275.jpg (47.7 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by mnmkpedals; 02-25-14 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-25-14, 06:07 AM
Howard
Chip seal rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
On another thread, the Huffy Sportsman was mentioned. Despite the Huffy headbadge, this model is a Raleigh clone- made in Nottingham, England. These models seem to have a few features not found on other Raleigh clones; like an oiler cap on the bottom bracket shell and the previously mentioned "proper" shift cable run with a pulley. Because of the poor regard that Huffy is generally held in, these "Sportsman" models are often overlooked and undervalued.
AMF, the American sporting goods maufacturer, also had a Raleigh rebrand that used the venerable "Hercules" brand. Depending on the year, these models were often equiped exactly like the Raleigh Sports models. In other words,the various rebrands can be an exceptional value.
The bottom bracket oiler was Raleigh standard fare until the early 60's.

A whole lot of good stuff here: https://sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html

On a side note, while wrk101's golden Raleighs are really, really nice, that style of chainguard often catches my trouser cuff. All other things being equal, I like the rounder style for functionality. But like I said, very nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.