Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

another handlebar position problem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 11:00 PM
adscft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i just notice one thing, many people would rotate their handlebar heading down, and put the bar position relative high (compare modern bikes) for their vintage bike. this kind of handlebar setting will force you to use lower bar position. it seems to be more aggressive. vintage bike just designed to be that, or some other reason?

but do people really use lower bar position a lot, instead of top of the handlebar position?

actually my vintage bike got brake hood worn out (even a new hood, they don't have gel), it's pretty uncomfortable to use top bar position (and brake is not very sensitive in this position), which force me to change habit to use lower bar position.

i randomly grab two pictures in the Internet(second picture belong to ColonelJLloyd), for comparing.

thanks a bunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
peugeot.jpg (78.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg
felt.jpg (94.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-14-11, 02:18 AM
natzoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think this is an issue of handle bar rotation. Vintage brakes levers and modern levers fit differently onto the handlebars. In addition, modern handlebars and vintage handlebars are bent differently.

Modern levers and handlebars are designed so that the lever sits flush with the top of the curve. This is because modern riding has evolved to ride more on the brake levers than in the drops. In addition, modern bars have a sharper curve, which allows brake levers to be mounted flush with the bar.

Vintage levers and handlebars were not designed with the same considerations. The vintage brake lever kinda just sits in the middle of the curve. Perhaps people rode in the drops more often, or just put up with the uncomfortable hand position.

With those two pictures, notice that even though the modern bike has the brake lever at the top of the handlebars, it is still much lower than the vintage bike. The modern bike has a way more aggressive position.

If you do not care about being 100% vintage, I would suggest getting some modern brake levers. They make the ride ALOT more comfortable. The tektro R200a are very retro shaped, and are very comfortable (and cheap!). They will not only raise your riding position, but they also have a lot more surface area, so they will reduce the pressure on your hands. Also, most importantly (to me) they are much more rigid, so they increase braking power, making it much safer.
Old 11-14-11, 02:29 AM
adscft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i see what's going on. it's good idea to change the brake lever. thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by natzoo
I dont think this is an issue of handle bar rotation. Vintage brakes levers and modern levers fit differently onto the handlebars. In addition, modern handlebars and vintage handlebars are bent differently.

Modern levers and handlebars are designed so that the lever sits flush with the top of the curve. This is because modern riding has evolved to ride more on the brake levers than in the drops. In addition, modern bars have a sharper curve, which allows brake levers to be mounted flush with the bar.

Vintage levers and handlebars were not designed with the same considerations. The vintage brake lever kinda just sits in the middle of the curve. Perhaps people rode in the drops more often, or just put up with the uncomfortable hand position.

With those two pictures, notice that even though the modern bike has the brake lever at the top of the handlebars, it is still much lower than the vintage bike. The modern bike has a way more aggressive position.

If you do not care about being 100% vintage, I would suggest getting some modern brake levers. They make the ride ALOT more comfortable. The tektro R200a are very retro shaped, and are very comfortable (and cheap!). They will not only raise your riding position, but they also have a lot more surface area, so they will reduce the pressure on your hands. Also, most importantly (to me) they are much more rigid, so they increase braking power, making it much safer.
Old 11-14-11, 02:55 AM
adscft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually, i think i can just move brake lever position on the handlebar, then problem will be solved.

Originally Posted by natzoo

Old 11-14-11, 03:26 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
The modern bike has a pretty aggressive riding position and a threadless stem, which limits it's height adjustability. I think with threadless stems, you buy a stem that has more rise built into it. Vintage bikes normally have quill stems that can be raised or lowered to the rider's preference. I like the stem to be higher because it's easier on my neck and back. The drops are nice to use as an alternate position and to get lower if it's windy. The drops are really easy to reach on my bike because I have bars with shallow drops and the stem extended very high.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-14-11, 03:30 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Here you can see a modern Specialized Roubaix where the handlebars have been raised up for a less aggressive position.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-14-11, 08:10 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
adscft, I think if you look at some older photos of racers you'll find that there isn't much difference in riding position. Also, restored vintage racers tend to adopt a riding position comfortable for the owner, not what was common for a racer of that era.

Brad