Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Battling between GF: Kaitai, Giant Roam 1 and '08 Rockhopper 29er Disc

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 08:46 PM
Olli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Guys/Gals

I've been in the market for a new hybrid/commuter type bike for the last couple of months. I plan on using the bike to commute to work (about 6 miles away) and to take it on a local trail which is mostly comprised of packed / small gravel. I like the idea of being flexible and being able to go on more rough trails which is why I was looking at dual sport bikes.

Now I have limited it down to three bikes...
The Gary Fisher Kaitai

Link to Kaitai Specs

Giant Roam 1

Link to Specs for Roam 1

and an '08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc that I found on craigslist (have never tried a 29er but hear good things).

Link to Specs of '08 Rockhopper

I've ridden both the Kaitai and the Roam and like them equally. Kind of bummed that the Kaitai no longer comes with Disc Brakes (that a big deal?) Never tried the Rockhopper but am wondering if it's a good deal compared to the other two bikes. I can pick it up for $400... The lockout on the Rockhopper apparently does not work so I might have to replace/repair that or just live with it. I was thinking I might put some slicks on the hopper or have a spare wheel set to make it a commuter/mountain bike...

I do have a budget and would like to stay under $650... I can get the '11 kaitai for $550, '11 Roam 1 for $609 and I worked out a deal for the Rockhopper and can get that for $400 like I said...

Overall value, which would you say is the best bet? I've been struggling over this and any advice/input is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-28-11, 10:22 PM
bassplyr

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Secteur, Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Giant Roam 1 with disc brakes - the Giant 2 does not have disc brakes. I really felt it was a maginally better value than the Katai although it was a difficult choice. Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 04-28-11, 10:35 PM
derf36

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of the three I've only ridden the Kaitai and it was nice, very nice. If you compare spec to spec the Roam may nudge the Kaitai but it's all about the other subtle things that you can only tell when taking them for a spin.

btw. I'm upgrading bikes this spring and the Roam and Kaitai were both in the running. My LBS's don't stock the Roam so without seeing it in person I've decided on the Trek Kaitai/Utopia/Montare line. I'll likely take the financially reckless route and go with the Montare

Good luck with your decision and keep us updated.
Old 04-29-11, 04:39 AM
Capecodder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode them all and the Kaitai won....... The Kaitai is fast on the road, and handles the trails with ease. The Kaitai has 700c wheels which can handle a wider tire than the already wide enough 38mm on it. You will love the Kaitai, I love mine, here it is.