Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

other hobbies

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

other hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 01:16 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Old car. I have 1970 Corvette convertible thats almost finished.
I am in the process of restoring my dad's 63 convertible (not the one in my avatar-- I wish I had a split window). The 327 is a beautiful motor, I can't wait to get that car on the road.

This is going to the first winter of my bike hobby so we shall see how I end up spending my time...most likely it will be building bikes to sell in the spring.
Old 10-28-09, 01:17 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I'll continue to ride and wrench as we can usually ride year round, but I'll swim and run through the winter too. That's triathlon... I'll also play bike polo when the weather isn't too bad, thinking about taking up surfing too.
Old 10-28-09, 01:30 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
I'll continue to ride and wrench as we can usually ride year round, but I'll swim and run through the winter too. That's triathlon... I'll also play bike polo when the weather isn't too bad, thinking about taking up surfing too.
Don't do it! Surfing's a nasty habit that will leave you in perpetual thoughts of tropical waves and collectable vintage surfboards.

Scott
Old 10-28-09, 01:32 PM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scottryder
Don't do it! Surfing's a nasty habit that will leave you in perpetual thoughts of tropical waves and collectable vintage surfboards.

Scott
been there done that .
was great , but one must continue on the path of life
whatever that means LOL
Cheers
/T
Old 10-28-09, 01:35 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
1. Motorcycling, I ride year round, as the weather is somewhat favorable here.

2. Restoring my old rock bungalow (see my avatar, I have several projects left to complete).

3. Rebuilding bikes to flip, I have well over a dozen in the backlog right now.
Old 10-28-09, 01:40 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

Scott
Well my best friend from my undergrad just moved to town (2 blocks away) and is an addict and my new housemate (who is my brother's best friend from his undergrad) is also an addict. Seems I don't have much choice in the matter.
Old 10-28-09, 01:44 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have to confess, being mechanical, anything that allows me to use tools. I started with bikes at a young age, tore my first one down more times than I can remember.

So cars were next. Currently I'm into 4x4's, all Jeeps. I own 3 and my daughter owns one. I know them really well and keep them going for a long time. Collectively we have over 800,000 miles on them, none less than 140,000 miles. And when I say Jeep, I mean live front driven axles! No IFS wanna be's.

Shooting:
1. Photography but not very good at it. I like the mechanics. Cameras are cool mechanical devices even though they have gone digital. I can capture mechanical stuff digitally!
2. Guns, bolt action mostly because that is what my dad was into. When he passed, I got them. Domantly Mausers (93, 95 and 98's) and Winchester Pre '64 M70's and 2 M54's.

He was at a gun show once, when he noticed a fellow with a Mauser slung over his sholder with a for sale sign on it. He noticed that the Peep sight was a rare one worth about $300. He watched the fellow walk around the show once and then asked him how much he wanted for the gun. $150. He said, "lets go outside". No negotiation, he handed over the $150 and took the gun.

When he got home he started looking the gun over but could not identify it. Kind of like what goes on here about bike frames! It had unique markings like "US 1906" on the ring and Obendorf. It was all original but the former owner had drilled and tapped for rings. He started searching. Found a $65 book on Mauser Obendorf Sporting Rifles. The shop owner asked him if he was going to leave or buy the book! He bought the book. At home, he started looking throught he book and found a pictrue of the gun he bought. The book had recorded SN of known sporting weapons built by Mauser in Obendorf (not many were made, they provided military weapons) at the back of the book. The pictured gun SN was within 200 of the gun he had bought. Built in 1912 in US Govt Model 1906 .30-06 cal. Unusual for a European gun to be chambered for a US military round in 1912!

I have a prototype of a supercharger kit for the Jeep 4.0L engine sitting in my garage.
Old 10-28-09, 01:46 PM
Mejnoon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I train brazilian jiu jitsu 6 days a week, and I'm getting ready add 3 days a week of muay thai. I fought mma professionally a few years ago and I'm trying to get back in to shape to make another run at it. That takes up most of my free time these days.

I've been in to many other things over the years - cars/motorcycles (my first loves ), mechanical watches (very expensive hobby), straight razors (best shave you'll ever get ), architecture...I tend enjoy these things intermittently. I get bored with things fast
Old 10-28-09, 02:07 PM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chuckk

Man, I ENVY you folks in the frozen north that get to take several months off from fun every year!
49 weeks of rideable weather is just wearing this old fart out
well just the same , we ENVY you guys .
we have a good 4 months of ½ way decent weather for cycling on road bikes . otherwise its a beater and lodas of gear to stay dry & warm .

:/

looking forward to the end of may 2010 wheni can get out a really enjoy riding again .
Old 10-28-09, 02:38 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
As my avatar shows......

riding my 1995 Honda VFR750FS Motorcycle, which at almost 15 years old already, is the other classic two wheeler in my garage. Been riding all types of motorcycles since I was in gradeschool, and the bikes give me a whole other dimension of 2 wheel riding pleasure/excitement to top off my bicycling.

I collect these things too:

And these things:.....

And these:......

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
85(?) Vitus Carbone 7 Plus
95 Honda VFR750FS

Last edited by Chombi; 10-28-09 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 02:48 PM
flammenwurfer

Bikes: 198? Raleigh Technium 480, 1970 Raleigh Sports, Motobecane Nomade Sprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now that I think about it I seem to enjoy the older stuff in my other hobbies as well. My moped is a 1982 Honda (1 year older than me). My boat is a 78 Caravelle (5 years older than me). My bikes are almost all older than me by a number of years, except for my Raleigh Technium which is a 1988 (5 years younger than me).
Old 10-28-09, 02:57 PM
abarth
Я люблю суп

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sweet, so many gun lovers here. Here are some of mine:

Old 10-28-09, 03:01 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Well my best friend from my undergrad just moved to town (2 blocks away) and is an addict and my new housemate (who is my brother's best friend from his undergrad) is also an addict. Seems I don't have much choice in the matter.
My sympathies Cyclotoine! Surfing was got me started in cycling ... when I was a grom I had no license and no way to get to the beach unless we rode our bikes. These were the days before shortboards, so we'd stash our longboards in the woods somewhere and ride back and forth. I found out a few years later a great way to ruin a nice Brooks saddle. Just ride once a day with saltwater soaked cut-off jeans. It will eventually just rot on the seatpost and flake away. Live and learn.

Scott
Old 10-28-09, 03:03 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
3 Pages of replies and not one Snowboarder or Skiier??

I'm actually a Die-Hard, Live to Ride - Ride to Live, Wish it was never summer Snowboarder....and I have a cycling obsession that I cultivate in the offseason

Now is not the offseason. Now is the PRE-Season!

None of my snow gear is Classic or Vintage...I'm a gear geek when it comes to Snowboarding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
killington1108.jpg (53.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0905 (Medium).JPG (46.1 KB, 231 views)
Old 10-28-09, 03:06 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by CravenMoarhead

I'm actually a Die-Hard, Live to Ride - Ride to Live, Wish it was never summer Snowboarder....and I have a cycling obsession that I cultivate in the offseason

None of my snow gear is Classic or Vintage...I'm a gear geek when it comes to Snowboarding.
Is that Tuckermans?

I have a classic and vintage snowboard, a "Snurfer" from the '60's.

Scott
Old 10-28-09, 03:10 PM
Bam42685

Bikes: 81 or 82 Mayata 912, Mystery Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mentioned skiing on the first page! There isn't much around here except for little pimples in the landscape, but I try to make it out to Colorado once a year for some real skiing. I've even kicked around the idea of moving there after school.
Old 10-28-09, 03:14 PM
Old Town
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CravenMoarhead

The headwall on Mt. Washington? Hiked there once carrying beer and a lawn chair to watch the ski guys in May. I don't ski.
Old 10-28-09, 03:15 PM
flammenwurfer

Bikes: 198? Raleigh Technium 480, 1970 Raleigh Sports, Motobecane Nomade Sprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I mentioned waterskiing! haha. I would probably be a big snow skier if I didn't live hundreds of miles from the nearest mountain.
Old 10-28-09, 03:27 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I teach Scuba Diving, and underwater photography is another one of my fun things to do.
I'm also into Audio, but nothing like I was when I hung out on Audio Asylum for 6 hours a day!

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-28-09, 03:30 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is that Tuckermans?

I have a classic and vintage snowboard, a "Snurfer" from the '60's.

Scott
Originally Posted by Old Town
The headwall on Mt. Washington? Hiked there once carrying beer and a lawn chair to watch the ski guys in May. I don't ski.
Geez I thought I could sneak that shot of Tuckermans past you guys

Yep, Its Tucks. I try to go every spring as a last hurrah kind of thing. Murderous hike though...I was not built to hike, I was built to ride (bikes and boards)...I hiked it with beer too...In a frame pack... I fell over from the weight and punctured a few cans. Me and two buddies spent 10 minutes on the side of the Sherburne Trail guzzling leaking beers while the serious hikers just shook their heads and hiked past.

Closest I have to a Vintage Board is my first board, a 1992 Burton Air.

I CAN'T WAIT for the snow to start flying.
Old 10-28-09, 03:34 PM
Piobaireachd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bagpiping (for fun, hire, and competing at various Highland Games)
Shooting (Kimber Custom II)
Hiking
Fishing
Reading
My wife and I are getting ready to break ground on a new house. I have the feeling some of my hobbies will have to wait.
Old 10-28-09, 03:42 PM
yuyax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another rock climber over here in Northern VA.

And... Here is my plug... Every February I become the team leader for a fund raising team to raise money for the HERA Foundation which raises monies for Ovarian Cancer Research at Johns Hopkins. During this event, several rock climbing gyms in the Washington DC/VA/MD and several world known climbing pros provide free climbing instruction and free entrance to the climbing gyms if you register for this event for a modest sum ($30 last year)

Last year, our team was the largest team ever for this event and we were also the top fund raising team.

If you would like to try rock climbing, next February will be time to do it. The benefits that you get from participating in this event are way more than the $30 registration fee (which is also a tax deduction)

Please PM if you need additional information.

Thanks!

Info - https://www.climbing.com/news/press/h...ncer_research/
Old 10-28-09, 03:47 PM
vincev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So many interesting people on this post.Riding must keep our brains active to enjoy the many enjoyments of life.I forgot to put my hobbies in.
Riding/collecting bikes
target shooting/collecting guns
old cars
collecting antique toys
fishing
Old 10-28-09, 03:48 PM
slushlover2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I collect antique toys. We have a vintage storefront built in our lower level complete with operating Lionel trains running in one of the windows. Does anyone remember a show on the FX television network called Personal FX? The show was from New York City, but their reporters would travel around the USA showing peoples collections. They did a one hour live show from our house showing our collection. That was very interesting.
Like many others here, I also like shooting.
Old 10-28-09, 03:53 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
One of my worst addictions.....wooden Thomas the Tank Engine.

This is a vid of about half of it. I'll soon make another showing all the rest of the characters and the Lionel as well. They are on a display shelf that is 7 1/2 feet long x 2 1/2 feet tall. Holds about 120 vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi1zNJKf-fg

My other trains are in my other YouTube video. That's a trip around our Christmas tree.

I'd love to show off my gun collection, but........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.