Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Cannondale Feels Weird ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 08:45 AM
sisimonmon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone ! This is my 1st post on this forum sorry if i'm in the wrong section and/or my problem is on another thread !
Here's the deal : I recently bought a vintage cannondale SR600 from around 1986. The bike is stunning I'm completly in love with it but there is one problem that I can't find with it.
This is not my first vintage bike, I also own a 1991 CADEX, and when I compare both its night and day, I would say the cannondale feels 35% slower (effort to power output). I went on a group ride for around 2h30 with the CADEX and was in front the whole time the next ride with the same group I was heavily behind after 20min of ride lol. So it is safe to assume something makes the cannondale slower. I gave it a deep clean aligned the shifter trued the wheels and all and still the same results. Maybe the tires are bad ? or they can inflate enough so it makes it slow ? I really don't know and that's what brings me to the forum to seek for some wisdom ! (Note that this is a 6 speed cassette with friction shifters maybe that makes a difference ? idk )
f you have any idea what makes it slower please enlight me !
Old 04-17-24, 09:06 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Welcome. It's impossible to tell at a distance what the issue is, but we can speculate.

First thing I'd do is put the C-dale on a work stand and verify wheels are spinning freely with no resistance, tires not rubbing on the chainstays, properly centered in dropouts, etc.

If they're OK, then on to check wheel hub and bottom bracket bearing condition. On a 1986, chances are you need a rebuild asap, as any grease from that long ago is no longer functional.

Also, hubs that are overtight will cause binding and require more effort to pedal. It could be something as simple as that.

Friction shifting + freewheel (probably not a cassette from 1986) shouldn't make a difference as far as effort. Properly tuned systems should be equally easy to turn.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 04-17-24, 09:21 AM
sisimonmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thank you for the fast response ! I did think about the bearings and will try to find a way to check them ( I don't currently have the tools, if you have a magic solution to check bike bearings condition without tools I'll gladly take it lol). But when I compare the 2 bikes ( the CADEX and the Cannondale) the wheels seems to spin relativly the same on their own, which really makes me think that the tires (Cheng Shin tyres) are bad and need replacing. Is it causing the bike to feel around 35% slower maybe not..
Old 04-17-24, 09:25 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 3,161 Times in 1,988 Posts
Tires can seem to make a difference as well. Are they both the same make? Different widths? Different tread patterns? Body positioning?

In fairness to the design, that was Cannondales first attempt in racing/touring builds and geometries. The tubings were much different size wise, first to CAAD. Steel fork on the early ones as well.

I love my ‘87 Crestdale, but it is definitely slower than my steel Basso from the same year. The 90ish Rossin made from ELOS is a rocket ship comparatively.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-17-24, 09:33 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I recently (January 1) bought and started riding a 1970's Bridgestone Submariner road bike which while quite heavy, was nevertheless far more sluggish feeling than just the weight could explain.

I found that the derailer pullies had a lot of viscous resistance to turning, which stole a lot of power since they rotate at higher speed than other parts on a bike and because there are of course two of them. Some heavy oiling applied while the bike lay on it's side fixed that right up.

Another thing to check is for the presence of "armored" style of tires, or thick, "thorn-resistant" inner tubes (or tubes containing old sealant).
A Trek hybrid bike I once purchased had original "Hard Case" tires that imparted an incredibly slow feel to the bike's rolling ease (but which actually could stop goat-head thorns from penetrating).

One last thing to compare between your two bikes would be the chainstay length. Also the sponginess of any suspension fork.

And an old-fashioned "bushed" chain will impart far more friction than newer bushingless chains when the chain is angling sharply between offset front and rear sprockets (i.e. while cross-chaining).

Pulling the chain away from the sprockets will allow one to independently inspect the rear hub and crank axle for ease of turning.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-17-24, 09:41 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,721 Times in 2,614 Posts
Can you swap the wheels of the two bikes and test ride? That'll tell you a lot about the contribution of wheels/tires/bearings.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-17-24, 10:07 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Are the brakes perhaps rubbing? This doesn't always produce tell-tale noise. It's usually caused by either a warped rim or by one side of the brake having more spring tension than the other side, often because of a "stretched" spring (or broken plastic spring tension adjuster, which is a common issue on certain years of Shimano's lower-tier cantilever brakes).
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-17-24, 10:14 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 2,017 Times in 1,113 Posts
Are they stock bikes? Friction shifting the Cannondale vs. Index on the Giant MIGHT have you in the less optimal gear riding the Cannondale in a fast group. You need to put nice tires on both bikes to compare. Are saddle, pedals, and bars in the same place relative to each other and the dropouts? My 86 Cannondale is as fast as (or faster than) any of my other bikes.
Old 04-17-24, 10:38 AM
sisimonmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of them is 6 speeds and the other is 7 so not sure that I can swap the rear wheel. For the really resistent tire part, it is indeed a totally different feel from my cadex wheels, they feel like heavy duty lol.
I there is no rub on anything when riding / spinning the wheel ( would of love that its an easy brake tension problem lol). I will buy some new tires and inner tubes, I'm reading online that latex innertubes are faster. Thank you all for the responses this is very insightful I will find the mysterious problem with your wisdom
Old 04-17-24, 10:41 AM
sisimonmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shifter for the rear derailleur is somehow indexed ?? It's another plastic part that came with the bike and it does feel amazing to have a indexed friction shifter. Everything is in the same place (mesured from the center of the crank). I think that from alot of the answers I've received it is indeed the tires that are crappy chinese nuclear resistant rubber lol.
Old 04-17-24, 10:51 AM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
There shouldn't be anything inherently slower on the design on the Cdale. It may be a little heavier @ 21 pound but common for mid 80s. Wheels are probably 36 spokes, also common. The rest of the components are probably common for the timeframe, nothing 'cheap' was used by Cdale, standard Suntour groups on mid level bikes. A proper inspection & service of all parts could reveal some issues but probably not significant.

One of the benefit was the cost/stiffness/weight ratio of the Cdale.

Probably a tire change, already mentioned, would give you a better comparison. Because of the stiffness of the frame, you'll need to assess if that may be causing you to be less efficient or effecting your fatigue level.

Last edited by KCT1986; 04-17-24 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-17-24, 01:26 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Oh, and sometimes a flat-resisting tire liner can cause a lot of rolling resistance, depending on the brand (Mr. Tuffy ones have the very lowest rolling resistance, who knew?).

I bought one bike where there was some kind of garden hose looking material inside of the tires, which ran airless.

I've got an '89 Cannondale MTB that's got cheap Taiwan full knobby tires yet still feels pretty lively. I felt some thumping at high speeds after I first found it (free), which turned out to be thickened sealant in the tubes. Much better now after I replaced the original chain and re-hydrated the old tire sealant with water, also lubed up the entire bike, re-spaced the rear axle and re-dished the rear wheel, etc.
Old 04-17-24, 02:40 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 540 Posts
Uhmmm......Maybe more aero drag from the fat frame tubes??
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-17-24, 02:44 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 390 Posts
How about your position on the bike? Are both bikes set up identically?
Old 04-17-24, 03:12 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
How about your position on the bike? Are both bikes set up identically?
This. Your position can make a huge difference in the amount of power you can put out. Check to see how different the positions are between the two bikes.