Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix vs. Cervelo R3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 10:51 AM
mukaeli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello together,

I am thinking about to buy one of these frames. I know both are fitting me in size 54 but its difficult to find out the real handling characteristics of them after a short sitting.

So some experiences, comparisons etc. would be really helpful. Maybe some of you road both for a longer time.

I am talking about the
Specialized Roubaix S-Works SL4 Frame in comparisons with a
Cervelo R3 Frame

*My profile is on one hand my solo train tour about 70-100km with a small climb and on the other hand we have a cycling group where we doing some sprint and climbing competitions as well. But I want to have a bike for bigger racing marathons events too.

Last edited by mukaeli; 01-10-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-10-15, 11:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,930 Times in 4,162 Posts
Both are good. Roubaix more comfortable. Cervelo more aggressive. Really depends on your riding style, flexibility, and goals. Any way you can take each one out for a test ride?

My spidey sense is telling me the Roubaix is more appropriate for you. Just a hunch.
Old 01-10-15, 11:21 AM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had both bikes, Roubaix was the SL3 Pro and R3 was the Team. Both bikes were good with the Roubaix being much better at taking the bite off imperfections in road surfaces and the R3 being lighter and slightly stiffer. However from what I've read the SL4 is probably closer to the ride of a R3 than my experiences, haven't actually ridden it.
Old 01-10-15, 11:26 AM
mukaeli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Any way you can take each one out for a test ride?
Too short to collect and compare all differences. I just noticed the Roubaix is more relaxed and the R3 is a bit more agile.

I am scared that when I pick the Roubaix that I notice its not sporty enough or other way if I pick the R3, I wish to had the Roubaix. Is there a a different in quality (the Roubaix is a S-Works Version and the Cervelo is a 2013 R3 not a R5)?
Old 01-10-15, 11:30 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
When I looked for a bike, 3 years ago, I considered the Roubaix, RS and Madone. I found the Roubaix too relaxed, the RS too aggressive and the Madone just right, so i got the Madone.

It depends on your state of fitness and flexibility, the length of rides and road conditions you plan on riding. Unless you can ride each for a good distance, not just around the block, it's hard to tell and you have to go with your gut feeling.

All are nice bikes, so pick wisely.

BTW... you should consider the Trek Domane and Emonda. I just upgraded to a Emonda SLR from the Madone.
Old 01-10-15, 12:17 PM
mukaeli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
When I looked for a bike, 3 years ago, I considered the Roubaix, RS and Madone. I found the Roubaix too relaxed, the RS too aggressive and the Madone just right, so i got the Madone.

It depends on your state of fitness and flexibility, the length of rides and road conditions you plan on riding. Unless you can ride each for a good distance, not just around the block, it's hard to tell and you have to go with your gut feeling.

All are nice bikes, so pick wisely.

BTW... you should consider the Trek Domane and Emonda. I just upgraded to a Emonda SLR from the Madone.
I am 27yo and started road cycling last year, so I still improving (or I hope so ). My fintess state is really good. My flexibility not so . But as I said both bikes fit to me. I get the feeling that a Roubaix could become a bit boring for me if I improving.

Last edited by mukaeli; 01-10-15 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 01:35 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mukaeli
I am 27yo and started road cycling last year, so I still improving (or I hope so ). My fintess state is really good. My flexibility not so . But as I said both bikes fit to me. I get the feeling that a Roubaix could become a bit boring for me if I improving.
The Roubaix will be more bike than you will ever be a rider. It was raced on the cobble stages of the TdF last year and the guy who was on it...Nabili won the TdF. Its a world class race bike. So if you are bored on it, then you are simply a boring riding which is common in the amateur ranks. All the bikes you are considering are world class bikes.
But if you have any concern about being bored on a Roubaix, then get another type of bike. Also consider the S series Cervelos...S2 or S3 which have a great ride and also an aero benefit. Bikes have different manners but it is much more about the rider than the bike so it won't matter a bit for speed. The great bike rider Cancellara is going to be racing on a Domane full time this year on the tour...not just in the classics. There isn't much of anything in speed on smooth road between an endurance racing frame and pure race bike with shorter wheelbase and slightly quicker handling. At least one of the great bike riders of our time doesn't think so and probably believes the increase in comfort at long distances which they race translate to being faster due to less fatigue.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-10-15 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 01:53 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Have you considered a Venge? Best of both worlds! Stiff, yet rides really nice (I've never ridden a Cervelo, but I'm told the Cervelos are really harsh); and none of that relaxed-geometry BS; yet it is very comfy (and I'm almost 53....).
Old 01-10-15, 01:59 PM
Roadbikedude

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix SL3, Specialized Tricross Comp, Specialized Expedition, Borus X7 Fat Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The SL4 is much stiffer than the SL3 that I own. The SL4 is very similar in stiffness to the Tarmac. I cannot comment on the R3 as I have not rode one. I can say that I really love my Roubaix and I never tire on my rides because the "bike beat me up". Its the older body that just gets tired. Smoother is faster.
Old 01-10-15, 02:20 PM
jrossbeck

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word of advice. Have your late 20s self work on flexibility. Your early 30s self will thank you for it. Your late 30s self will worship you for it.

I used to stretch regularly before and after exercise in my 20s. Never an injury. I stopped for some reason in my early 30s and when I started running long distances, I had a string of injuries. Now I'm back to stretching in my late 30s and feeling a little better each day.
Old 01-10-15, 02:27 PM
mukaeli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for your input.
Campag4life, don't get me wrong by the word "boring". Ofc it's not a boring bike. This was just to describe that the R3 maybe has some advantages if I also like to have the sprint or climbing competitions or in races? Maybe otherwise the pros would use it almost every stage and not the tarmac but this questions is goes ofc to far... and as you mentioned Cancellara... I got this point. Thank you.

Didn't know that the SL4 is that stiff Roadbikedude.
Old 01-10-15, 02:31 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
Have you considered a Venge? Best of both worlds! Stiff, yet rides really nice (I've never ridden a Cervelo, but I'm told the Cervelos are really harsh); and none of that relaxed-geometry BS; yet it is very comfy (and I'm almost 53....).
I've demo'd the Venge and to me it felt like riding a brick...and I ride a S2.

The front end of the Venge is considerably lower than the Roubaix...so I doubt the OP will want to go that way.

The current S2/3 got completely revamped. They essentially put the back half of the R into the S.
Old 01-10-15, 02:59 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The one with the shorter wheelbase will be the one you will like for racing. And even if there is very little difference between the two, its (wheelbase) not a deal breaker. The R3 has been reworked to incorporate some of the developments in the RCA. Once you ride either one, you get used to the ride. Don't blame the bike if you do so-so on races.
Old 01-10-15, 03:24 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
The Roubaix will be more bike than you will ever be a rider. It was raced on the cobble stages of the TdF last year and the guy who was on it...Nabili won the TdF.
Nibali rode a Tarmac, not a Roubaix.

[Edited to add] Not that it's a snub on the Roubaix. Tom Boonen rode a Roubaix. Nibali rode a Tarmac.

Last edited by RChung; 01-10-15 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 03:27 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
I've demo'd the Venge and to me it felt like riding a brick...and I ride a S2.
Just proves that bike preference is a very personal thing- and the only way to know, is to ride different bikes. Kind of like asking someone's opinion about food or music- it's really only your opinion that counts. But just based on what the OP is saying, I think we can agree that the Roubaix is NOT the bike for him- if he thinks it rides boringly now...imagine after a year?! (And I know exactly what he means- which is why I like my Venge- it's definitely not boring! )

In a way, bikes are like women: My mother was asking about a girl whom I knew once, and said "You should have married her.". I said "Marry her?! I found her looks and personality so unremarkable, that I was bored with her after 1 date! Could you imagine after being married for a few years; when that spark of romance fades and she gets old and fat?!".

To the OP, I'd bet that Roubaix would get old and fat real quick!
Old 01-10-15, 04:52 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I guess you missed the race. Too bad. Its was a good one.

For stage 5’s battle on the cobblestones, Nibali rode a Specialized Roubaix for a more compliant ride.
For the rest of the race Nibali rode the Tarmac.

Originally Posted by RChung
Nibali rode a Tarmac, not a Roubaix.

[Edited to add] Not that it's a snub on the Roubaix. Tom Boonen rode a Roubaix. Nibali rode a Tarmac.
Old 01-10-15, 05:40 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts

For stage 5’s battle on the cobblestones, Nibali rode a Specialized Roubaix for a more compliant ride.
Ah, you're right. You can see the distinctive Roubaix Zertz in this photo .

I did miss stage 5. I was at the finish of stage 6, however.
Old 01-10-15, 09:29 PM
buckwheat987

Bikes: BMC SLR02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

winner of the cobble stage (Boom) road a Bianchi Infinito CV...not in the mix but a great bike.

Of the two the OP is considering I would go for the R3.
Old 01-10-15, 09:42 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Roubaix and love it, especially on rough roads. I am just one voice, but I do own and ride one.
Old 01-10-15, 10:41 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had an s works roubaix sl4 for almost 2 years and it's my go to bike for training and racing. I've got a Tarmac I prefer for crit racing because it's got a bit shorter wheelbase, but I prefer the roubaix for road races and everything else. It's every bit as snappy as my sl4 Tarmac, but with a better ride. It does have a pretty tall head tube, so keep that in mind on sizing. I'm about 6'1 and ride a 56 with no spacers and a 130mm stem and I don't have a very aggressive position. Not a good choice if you like a lot of drop.
Old 01-11-15, 04:16 AM
mukaeli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will need that tall head tub, because my legs are a bit longer
Old 01-11-15, 09:41 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you equip both bikes with exactly the same wheels and components, and ask me to pick one, I will take the R3 because I like Cervelo better as a brand/company. Otherwise, it's really hard to choose because they are both great bikes and will be more than you will ever need regardless of your intended use: crit, endurance, solo ride, weekend warrior, etc.
Old 01-11-15, 10:35 AM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too short to collect and compare all differences. I just noticed the Roubaix is more relaxed and the R3 is a bit more agile.

I am scared that when I pick the Roubaix that I notice its not sporty enough or other way if I pick the R3, I wish to had the Roubaix. Is there a a different in quality (the Roubaix is a S-Works Version and the Cervelo is a 2013 R3 not a R5)?
I'm an occasional racer that started on a Tarmac and had the same reservations as far as the Roubaix not being sporty enough.

To be honest with you, I notice a *slight* decrease in response when turning, but not enough to make me go back.