Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

My seat is giving me a hard time.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-13-18, 02:27 AM
TRac
Boi he don did it

Bikes: Fuji Finest-le, Giant SPT2, Jamis Ventura Sport, Specialized Big Hit Comp, Cannondale F900, Leader 725

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A little context, I'm a student and live on campus so I'm riding my bike everywhere everyday. So, in doing that, a good portion of that distance covered is wheelied. Unfortunately I keep finding my seat get loosened quite a bit from the nature of my riding, in fact i broke my last seat post bolt because of this issue on a mtb ride. So is there a way I should better set up my saddle to avoid this or do i just need to invest in a two bolt seat post?
Old 02-13-18, 09:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by TRac
A little context, I'm a student and live on campus so I'm riding my bike everywhere everyday. So, in doing that, a good portion of that distance covered is wheelied. Unfortunately I keep finding my seat get loosened quite a bit from the nature of my riding, in fact i broke my last seat post bolt because of this issue on a mtb ride. So is there a way I should better set up my saddle to avoid this or do i just need to invest in a two bolt seat post?
Is your post one with a single bolt, and two curved serated pieces that fit together to adjust the saddle tilt?
Old 02-13-18, 09:43 PM
TRac
Boi he don did it

Bikes: Fuji Finest-le, Giant SPT2, Jamis Ventura Sport, Specialized Big Hit Comp, Cannondale F900, Leader 725

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Is your post one with a single bolt, and two curved serated pieces that fit together to adjust the saddle tilt?
Yes it's some Easton one.
Old 02-14-18, 04:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by TRac
Yes it's some Easton one.
My experience with this style of seat clamp is that they can be frustrating to keep tightened if you don't pay attention to how the two serrated halves fit together.

When you go to tighten it initially, if the two halves are not perfectly seated together, they may snug up at first in that un-seated position, but as you rock the saddle back and forth over time (getting in and out of the saddle) it breaks loose, and finds that "seated" position. The problem is that the bolt is now a little loose, and your saddle starts wobbling.

What I do is this: tighten the bolt just enough to just keep the saddle from having any play in the position I want it. Then loosen the bolt just a hair and rock the saddle fore/aft. It should only move a tiny bit, because of the the serrated halves fit together. Then very slowly tighten it while continuing to wiggle the saddle fore/aft until there is no more play. Then go ahead and fully tighten it. This basically makes sure it is fully seated.

Since doing this, I have never had a seat clamp come lose in over 18 years, including one that had done so repeatedly before I figured this out.

Of course, if you tighten the crap out of your post enough times without it seated, you may have buggered the way they fit together.

Give it a try.
Old 02-14-18, 05:25 PM
TRac
Boi he don did it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta
My experience with this style of seat clamp is that they can be frustrating to keep tightened if you don't pay attention to how the two serrated halves fit together.

When you go to tighten it initially, if the two halves are not perfectly seated together, they may snug up at first in that un-seated position, but as you rock the saddle back and forth over time (getting in and out of the saddle) it breaks loose, and finds that "seated" position. The problem is that the bolt is now a little loose, and your saddle starts wobbling.

What I do is this: tighten the bolt just enough to just keep the saddle from having any play in the position I want it. Then loosen the bolt just a hair and rock the saddle fore/aft. It should only move a tiny bit, because of the the serrated halves fit together. Then very slowly tighten it while continuing to wiggle the saddle fore/aft until there is no more play. Then go ahead and fully tighten it. This basically makes sure it is fully seated.

Since doing this, I have never had a seat clamp come lose in over 18 years, including one that had done so repeatedly before I figured this out.

Of course, if you tighten the crap out of your post enough times without it seated, you may have buggered the way they fit together.

Give it a try.
Huh wow never thought about it not seating completely, I'll employ this technique when I get back to my bike. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-16-18, 11:58 PM
TRac
Boi he don did it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your tip has worked well so far! Thanks again!