Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

DNF Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 03:37 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
2 different kind of group rides. That's why I've started calling my tuesday night ride a race ride. Because that's what it is; a race with no officials and no rule enforcement. Group rides, sure go out and hammer with your buddies, but we all meet up at the tops/bottoms of the hills and ride together.

They both have their place!

And my opinion about DNF's. I wish that officials would be more harsh about pulling people in some crits/CRs. Just because it's a wide road with lots of space doesn't mean you aren't getting in the way. If I'm off the front, I should not have to drag my breaks in corners because i'm catching the "[2nd, 3rd...] chase" that's a full lap or two behind. If you're gonna race for fitness be in the right category. It's not racing if you're off the back 2 laps in.
you catching the chase from another field in a crit? you got a time machine???

;-)
Old 03-24-18, 03:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
you catching the chase from another field in a crit? you got a time machine???

;-)
Weird situation at RMR. (About 1 mile course(?) for those that haven't raced it. A group goes off 1 minute ahead of the B group i'm sandbagging in). My breakaway got passed by the A chase. Let them go. See that we've only got a small gap to the b group peloton. I drop the hammer, recatch the chase that just passed us.

All this time while solo, we're catching and passing people from any of the other fields that have gotten themselves over their heads in whatever field they [wrongly] thought they could hang with.
Old 03-24-18, 03:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the route out of town went a half block from my apartment, so my last time I just turned off there, went home..
Old 03-24-18, 03:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by fietsbob
the route out of town went a half block from my apartment, so my last time I just turned off there, went home..
I've bailed on sketch rides before. As long the group knows you're leaving so they don't worry when you go missing, it's all good.
Old 03-24-18, 04:41 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Weird situation at RMR. (About 1 mile course(?) for those that haven't raced it. A group goes off 1 minute ahead of the B group i'm sandbagging in). My breakaway got passed by the A chase. Let them go. See that we've only got a small gap to the b group peloton. I drop the hammer, recatch the chase that just passed us.

All this time while solo, we're catching and passing people from any of the other fields that have gotten themselves over their heads in whatever field they [wrongly] thought they could hang with.
i know the race --
just saying that any course where multiple fields are jammed on there at the same time = probably too long to really be a crit.
Old 03-24-18, 04:49 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

i know the race --
just saying that any course where multiple fields are jammed on there at the same time = probably too long to really be a crit.
100%. A crit by any another name is just as sweet.

(In the eyes of USAC though, it's a crit
Old 03-24-18, 07:38 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
There's plenty of rides like that in Dallas, TX. Slow, social rides. By people who don't even know what a crit is.
Until I stopped going due to work, I regularly got shelled on the "recovery Monday shop ride" that boasted, at best, a Cat 5 racer if he showed up. I've told the story here before but one of the older women (50+, wasn't racing at that point but she races a couple races a year now) asked me at some point (she visited me at work) if I was really trying when she rode me off her wheel. I was, I was absolutely redlined.

Even as a 2 I was struggling on that ride. Yes, I could go fast here and there, bridge gaps and whatnot, but any sustained climb and I was in the hurt locker.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-29-18, 12:21 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
this is real.

it's kind of like giving oneself permission to go a little easier in an interval, or skip a workout; in a subtle way it's a little harder to get going for the next one.
I did cool stuff in the US Army for 11+ years. If a guy quits once, the next time is easier. If you quit, you are gone, for example a torturous run time standard, dudes puking, totally hung over (myself many times)but nobody falls out. You cannot establish that weakness. This really matters in that field.

Bike racing? A DNF is inevitable, just make sure that it is 100% justified. But justification is subjective. It's just a personal thing.

I am older know, and have a more realistic outlook on things, but always try to maintain this philosophy to the best of my ability and circumstance.

To sum it up, yeah it matters.