Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Video: Welding parts for my Dad's twin bicycles

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 06:40 PM
olivieri_velo

Bikes: Custom built cyclocross/road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

I'm a rookie frame builder, I've only built 2 steel frames. First one was at UBI, second one was about 2 years later at my Dad's shop. I'll try to keep this short to not bore you all with the details.. My Dad invented, and has a patent for a system to join bikes, side by side. The first version of his invention was using 2 Shwinn cruiser bikes, seen here >>>>

The third version of the design has evolved to something a bit more sophisticated, yet easier to build and setup. In this video >>>>
you can see a few shots of the second version, while I weld some parts of the third version.

Feel free to ask or share your opinion, either here, or on youtube... I'll do my best to answer any technical questions... if any.. My Dad is the brains behind his "twin bikes" invention, I just build the frames and weld parts
Old 03-31-18, 08:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Back in about 1966 I was given a 26" balloon tire bomber (a Rollfast) bike by my Mom's dad. He had won a pair of bikes with linkages which tied the bikes side by side. (I was told this was to allow the blind to enjoy riding safely). A cousin got the second, and ladies, bike. The one I got had the links still attached to brackets bolted about the frame and fork. I wish I had been more curious and had taken some photos, but when in 4th grade the future is about as worthless as the past is.

So I find it interesting that a patent search didn't reveal past attempts, maybe it did but there's some element that's different, maybe the patent way back when wasn't really granted or even applied for. But, I hate to be the one to say this your Dad didn't invent this as it's been done before. (and just one more example of recent "inventions" that are actually decades old). Still a cool device just the same. Good job! Andy
Old 03-31-18, 09:25 PM
olivieri_velo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Back in about 1966 I was given a 26" balloon tire bomber (a Rollfast) bike by my Mom's dad. He had won a pair of bikes with linkages which tied the bikes side by side. (I was told this was to allow the blind to enjoy riding safely). A cousin got the second, and ladies, bike. The one I got had the links still attached to brackets bolted about the frame and fork. I wish I had been more curious and had taken some photos, but when in 4th grade the future is about as worthless as the past is.

So I find it interesting that a patent search didn't reveal past attempts, maybe it did but there's some element that's different, maybe the patent way back when wasn't really granted or even applied for. But, I hate to be the one to say this your Dad didn't invent this as it's been done before. (and just one more example of recent "inventions" that are actually decades old). Still a cool device just the same. Good job! Andy
Hey Andy!

My Dad and I are well aware that his invention isnt new, in fact, there are more than a few patents that join bikes side by side. Some of the patents appear to have never even been made (because of their glaring and obvious design flaws), and the ones that were actually built had many design flaws and/or limitations, some didnt appear to even take into comsideration how a bicycle works or rides. Part of my Dad’s research, and reason for getting his patent, was proving his method actually worked, and is better.

As far as I know, my Dad wasnt aware of prior patents when he first thought up the idea (We didnt ride bikes back then, and had no particular interest in them). His inspiration came from trying to help my Mom get in better shape, since she has double hip replacement surgery, and lowerback surgery. She wanted to ride a bicycle, but was afraid she could be badly injured from a small fall.
Old 03-31-18, 09:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Patent law and the acquiring process is rather interesting for some. I've had more then a few people give me their experiences n seeking one. One aspect that I do like is that by making patents public there is no longer any validity to "I didn't know that it had been done before". In the bike industry Shimano is well known for applying for patents on designs that they have no current intentions of marketing. They protect their future and invest in their creative abilities at the same time. I've heard of one company that eagerly supported their employees seeking patents, for the company, and gave bonuses for successful results. The guy telling me this thought it was more about keeping their guys involved and thinking then ending up with a marketable product/process.

Your Dad sounds pretty smart and it's great that he seeks a way to help your Mom.

I never rode my Rollfast with a second bike attached or even tried to figure out the linkages back then. But years later as I grew into this industry I have revisited the bike in my mind and have wondered about some of the linkage and handling challenges. Please do keep us in the loop. Andy
Old 04-01-18, 03:50 AM
olivieri_velo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Patent law and the acquiring process is rather interesting for some. I've had more then a few people give me their experiences n seeking one. One aspect that I do like is that by making patents public there is no longer any validity to "I didn't know that it had been done before". In the bike industry Shimano is well known for applying for patents on designs that they have no current intentions of marketing. They protect their future and invest in their creative abilities at the same time. I've heard of one company that eagerly supported their employees seeking patents, for the company, and gave bonuses for successful results. The guy telling me this thought it was more about keeping their guys involved and thinking then ending up with a marketable product/process.

Your Dad sounds pretty smart and it's great that he seeks a way to help your Mom.

I never rode my Rollfast with a second bike attached or even tried to figure out the linkages back then. But years later as I grew into this industry I have revisited the bike in my mind and have wondered about some of the linkage and handling challenges. Please do keep us in the loop. Andy
That sounds like a great company, atleast from that perspective.

Yea, not to brag about it, but he is pretty smart.

Possibly today, my Mom and Dad will ride the new version. I’ll try to get some decent footage of it.