Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

BMX for commuting?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

BMX for commuting?

Old 12-24-17, 11:10 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I used to ride a BMX to school, it was four miles away. The lay-back seat and tall handlebars offered a sprung, upright riding position and it was generally good for plodding along with friends i'd meet along the way.

As we get older we learn to be more practical, and efficient, and lazy, but where's the fun in that..?
Old 01-09-18, 12:16 PM
ModManZZZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Me riding my 20" old school bmx in a long ride/commute. Tall seatpost and lights and it's okay for commuting. I'm 5'10" tall.

Last edited by ModManZZZ; 01-09-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 10:12 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Street rider
Right? And that one kid calling himself a beast makes me laugh. I'm sure he's like 12, with tiny chicken legs that couldn't handle any real ​riding stress.
Hey, what's wrong with chicken legs?!
Old 02-20-18, 05:54 PM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since BMX bikes are made to carry one rider around a track, with obstacles, and jumps, there tough.
But that's racing. Commuting has different obstacles.

ZZZ posted one way to make using a BMX bike for commuting work.

Here is another.
Not true BMX any more, and these will Not stand up to jumps.
But they would work for commuting.
Might add a rack, or use a backpack.

The strength inherent in BMX bikes make these "Fun Bikes" strong enough to hold up to a 200 lb rider.
The taller seat and handlebars make for more comfortable longer distance riding, and the gears help with
starts, stops, and hills.

If you are going to race BMX, use a bike set up for racing.
If you are going to commute, or just ride around for the fun of it, consider setting it up to do so.

The chrome bike is a RedLine, picked up at a garage sale for $25. I used recycled bike parts to set it up.

The stem has been "stretched' by welding an inside tube and plug welding as well as more tube from another stem, with butt welding. The wedge bolt has also been stretched.
The bottom of the stem is down inside the steer tube 3".

The seat post is thick wall stainless tube, and extends 8" into the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
refun1.JPG (163.7 KB, 102 views)
refun2.JPG (211.1 KB, 101 views)
refun3.JPG (159.2 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by bkentr; 02-20-18 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 06:03 PM
bkentr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is one of the first bikes I set up like this, back in 1985.

It's had 3 paint jobs by now, but still has the same stainless spokes I installed in 1985.

Kept this one because it rode smoother than the others, and was one of the first.

Because of the parts used, I have called this one a Diamond-Goose-GT-type.

This was also one of the few I bought new parts for. The Mongoose frame was used, but all the rest was new.
Including an extra set of stainless spokes, I spent $300.
The fenders were added last year.

That oval chainring was added in 1986. The tall "Forklifter" type stem, was made to fit in one of the
scooters that were around for a while, and reaches down about halfway into the headtube,
Not higher than the "safety" line.

The seat tube is thick wall stainless tubing, found on an old boats safety rail, and extends a full 8"
into the frame. the wall thickness is over 1/8th thick.
Attached Images
refun11.JPG (174.0 KB, 102 views)
refun22.JPG (165.1 KB, 100 views)
refun33.JPG (233.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by bkentr; 02-20-18 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 07:45 AM
ferten

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I rode a BMX to school but my parents forced my to ride the school bus lol. Cool ride you got there!
Old 02-27-18, 01:57 PM
bkentr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your kind comment.

Part of the problem with riding a bike to school is the chance it will get stolen.
Having a bike that is cleaned up or in anyway nice makes it a bigger target.

Hang in there, the time might come when you can ride one there.

If your parents are concerned about you, that's a good thing.

Is it possible your folks would feel different about a used, beater bike, that didn't cost much ?
Old 05-17-18, 01:09 AM
Grease_Factory

Bikes: -1982 Kuwahara Apollo 24" Cruiser -1982 Kuwahara KE-1/KYZ -1983 Tange Shogun Hot Heart -1984 Kuwahara Bravo -1984 Diamond Back Viper/Pacer 500 -1985 Kuwahara Road Bike -1986 Kuwahara Magician -1987 Kuwahara Magician EX

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been commuting to work (1.5km trip) and light grocery shopping (3-5km) for the past 2 years on my BMXs.

I have to say, its a much nicer trip on my 24" Cruiser BMX. My 20" bikes all have tall, lay-back posts to give my knees room, but they just don't have the sustained speed ability that the 24" does.
Old 05-25-18, 10:42 AM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi all. I picked up a pretty well used 20 BMX for $30. I changed out the tires and replaced the brake pads. I live in a mobile home park, and I use the bike primarily to "commute" to the mailboxes about a mile away. It's fun to not only p/u mail, but to also cruise leisurely around the park. I am 5'5" so to to just hop on and ride around instead of pulling out my "big" bikes is great. Enjoy the ride....
Old 05-29-18, 04:31 PM
RGNY

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
48yo year 'round commuter with a 14mi loop. while winter is either of two ss fatties, summer is reserved for 20" or 26" BMX. no issues; just keep pedaling......
Old 06-08-18, 12:28 AM
xDICEx
Dice Life

Bikes: Kilo TT PRO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bmx ftw

Most of my life I have been on a 20" BMX. I have owned so many that I don't want to type them all out here, even though I remember them all. I was really into BMX dirt jumping for many years before, during, and after serving in the USMC. I would ride my BMX bike everywhere. There was a time that I got into mountain biking pretty serious after the USMC, but I never rode my mountain bike around the city or for commuting. I still used my BMX to ride around town and get from place to place. Then I got into road biking and would sport my spandex suit and go on the longest most challenging rides to nowhere just to say I rode that many miles. Finally I got into fixed gear and would ride all over town on that bad boy, I had a ton of fun doing it and thought that was the type of bike I would always ride. Needless to say I have a garage full of bikes and the one I grab every single day for commuting around my urban city is my BMX. In all honesty, if you are in a busy city and need to zip in and out of cars, hopping over curbs and medians, bunny hopping over potholes and other things, taking shortcuts down alleyways etc. BMX is the bike for me. Ive always been very much into fitness and hit the weights at least three times a week, and riding my BMX around town everyday is my cardio. It is a GREAT workout and so much FUN at the same time. Getting on my BMX bike sparks all those feelings of fun and excitement I had as a little kid and to me that's what it's all about.
Likes For xDICEx:
Old 06-25-18, 08:39 PM
Radical Rick

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BMX for commuting. Yes.

My truck broke a few days ago leaving me with nothing but my S&M Classic Dirtbike. Before the truck problem I've been riding it for exercise about 4-10 miles a day doing tricks and what have ya. Now I'm forced to be commuting on it for about a week until truck parts come in the mail. This has made me feel like a kid again. I'm planning on continuing to commute with it even after I fix my truck. Jumping stairs, grinding ledges, there is just something about blowing through town on a BMX bike. People around here look at me like I'm crazy, but at least I'm having fun. Might I mention parking by the front door is quite convenient.
Likes For Radical Rick: