Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

SoloRock Spin 3 review

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

SoloRock Spin 3 review

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 09:58 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Increase your cadence from 90rpm to 120rpm and you'll be able to hit ~26 mph. Sounds reasonable.
LOL...got my Vybe up to 29mph once...but only once
Old 08-15-17, 01:20 PM
abl292

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi @AccuNeal, just a heads up that I sent you a private message with some questions relating to your SoloRock Spin 3. Thanks!
Old 08-15-17, 03:06 PM
AccuNeal
daily small wheel rider

Bikes: SoloRock spin 3, SteelMaster 16", Dahon Classic III 16", Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@impact1400 Got it and replied. Thanks for your interest.
--
Neal
Old 08-15-17, 06:03 PM
abl292

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AccuNeal
@impact1400 Got it and replied. Thanks for your interest.
--
Neal
Likewise!
Old 12-02-17, 07:03 AM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Can the Spin 3 take 34T?
The Solorock version Shimano derailleur specs says 30T, but they've used 32T. Typically, 32T derailleurs can fit 34T, but I wonder about ground clearance. Could you measure the cage length? I could then compare it with mine on the 20" Dahon with 34T to see if it clears.

Can you fit full size rear Ortlieb panniers on the rear rack? It looks really short in the photos.
Do you feet hit the panniers as you pedal? The rack looks too far forward. Would be better if it could extend further rearward.

I'm thinking about getting the Spin 3 instead of the 5 because I currently have a 20" dahon, and the Spin 5 is pretty long when folded. The Spin 3 is smaller when folded, but the wheelbase is probably 5-10cm shorter. I would prefer a longer wheelbase for loaded touring though.

I suppose the rear dropout is 130mm? So can't fit a SRAM dual drive?

The seatpost was not grooved? would probably install a thudbuster.

Also not sure where to find the Spin 3 in Europe. Only see the Spin 5 from the Dutch distributor.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 12-02-17 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-02-17, 09:38 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Anyone here offer any info on the general quality of their entire bike line? Im interested in another of their models and until this thread came about....Ive never even heard of them before....
Old 12-02-17, 05:16 PM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Tomtom, unfortunately, I don't recall the OP being active in this forum since his last post in this thread.
Old 12-03-17, 07:35 PM
tomtomtom123

I'm thinking from looking at some photos that maybe some of the Dahon racks for their 16" bikes may fit on the Spin 3 with a longer length.
Old 12-04-17, 07:34 AM
AccuNeal
daily small wheel rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BAM! prostate cancer hits right in the saddle

Originally Posted by tdonline
Tomtom, unfortunately, I don't recall the OP being active in this forum since his last post in this thread.
I have been absent from bikeforums and bikes in general for a while. I have been diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer. The hormone treatments began a few months ago, and I am 5 radiation treatments into a 28 treatment schedule. That diagnosis changed so much for my outlook and activities. One has to train one's mind to keep it cordoned off in thoughts, and it takes a while. Enough of that. This is not a solicitation for sympathy; that's counterproductive to a cyclist.

I am back on my Solorock for 30 minutes per day. Some days are more fun that others. I am working on my review after the first 1,000 miles which I will post very soon.

@tomtom123 I will answer your questions with a photo or two when I return from my morning treatment.
Old 12-04-17, 08:29 AM
tdonline

Accuneal, I'm so sorry to hear of your health situation. I'm not religious, so I won't offer prayers, but I sincerely hope the best for you. As the Japanese saying goes, gambatte kudasai!

I feared something was awry as you were so enthusiastic about the Solorock and then suddenly you stopped posting about it.
Old 12-04-17, 09:25 AM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Sending you good thoughts and wishes.
Old 12-04-17, 10:34 AM
AccuNeal
daily small wheel rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear rack on SoloRock Spin 3

@tomtom123
Here are some photos to help with your rear rack decision. Hope it helps.

Try as hard as I might, the photos on imgur.com don't show up so here's the gallery URL:
https://imgur.com/gallery/i2gI5

Last edited by AccuNeal; 12-04-17 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 10:36 AM
AccuNeal
daily small wheel rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@tdonline @wesgreen
Thank you for your well wishes.
Old 12-06-17, 03:01 AM
tomtomtom123

Thank you for the images.
I think the Tern Cargo Rack might be a better solution for Orblieb panniers, although it probably adds an extra 500g compared to the stock rack.
https://www.ternbicycles.com/gear/471/cargo-rack

I posted on the other thread for the Spin 5 review. I contacted Banian / Typhoon bike on Alibaba, but they don't have the Spin 3 frame in stock. There is a seller on Taobao but I haven't asked yet.

Regarding the handlebar post, you can switch it out with a T bar on top and add a Tern Andros stem extender.
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/gear/472/andros-stem
Not sure why Solorock chose to fold the post to the right, in between the 2 halves. Does the post fit, or prevent the halves from latching on with the magnet?
Most of the T bars I saw on Alibaba and Taobao fold left.

If I'm able to get the Spin 3 frame, I would use 10 speed 11-36T or 11-34T with the Shimano Zee derailleur and Saint shifter, and 130mm BCD crank with Litepro 58T narrow-wide chainring.
Old 12-07-17, 08:02 AM
AccuNeal
daily small wheel rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Not sure why Solorock chose to fold the post to the right, in between the 2 halves. Does the post fit, or prevent the halves from latching on with the magnet?
Most of the T bars I saw on Alibaba and Taobao fold left.
Yes, the post fits nicely between the folded halves. It requires a slight rotation of the handlebar, because the brake levers need to be oriented vertically. Otherwise, the magnet and its receiver plate don't latch. I like the fact that the handlepost is on the inside of the fold instead of flopping about as they do on my Dahons. That was among my reasons for choosing the Spin3.
Old 06-09-18, 06:45 AM
Slorida

Bikes: Cruzbike T-50, Bike Friday Pocket LLama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light folder for around town and business trips

I had been looking for a folder light enough to carry on public transit and on the plane as checked baggage along with my other gear when on business trips. I have owned many folders over the years including Dahon, Tern, Tobukaru, and Downtube. All of them were 406 or 451 wheeled bikes. They all disassembled to fit in a standard 31" hardcase albeit with some necessary dismantling. Because of the folding geometry, I found that I had to remove the wheels, handlebars, rear derailleur, and often I had to dismantle the frame. All of this work before and after my journey required me to carry a small toolset with multiple wrenches, spanners, and Allen keys of the same size with me. Since the bikes weren't designed for this type of repeated dismantling, the important parts would wear down quickly.
I debated getting a Brompton for a long time before selecting the Solorock Spin 3 thanks to AccuNeal's detailed review and testimony. I decided on a 16" wheeled folder because I would not have to dismantle the frame and remove the derailleur. Removing and reattaching the wheels as well as the handlebar is short work with a folder. I like that the Spin has a derailleur. Over the years, I have had trouble with IHG setups. They work great when they work. However, adjusting them is a pain. Derailleurs on the other hand, are easy to adjust and cheap to replace.
Since getting the Spin 3, I have added the Dahon Luggage Truss and Dahon Luggage Carrier to the front and removed the rear rack. The front load stabilizes the bike. The luggage truss/rack combo is rated to hold the same weight as the rear rack. I have also replaced the stock pedals with folding pedals by MKS.
I have ridden about 60 miles since buying the bike online from Solorock. As with AccuNeal's testimony, the bike handles beautifully. The steering is not at all twitchy as it is on a Brompton. In fact, it rides as well as my 406 by Downtube. With a 15lb backpack strapped to the front luggage rack, the ride is rock-solid. I am 6'3" in height and weigh in at 210lbs, so I am at the upper limit for the rider specifications. The bike fits me very well. I have plenty of options on handlebar positioning from low aero to upright and casual. The seating position is about 1" shorter than where I would like it, but this is still taller than the stock seatpost height on a Brompton.
My main reason for choosing this over the Brompton is the purchase and maintenance cost. I have found that TSA agents are really curious about the contents of a suitcase containing a folding bike. Without fail, my suitcase is inspected by them. Then the re-packing job by them is probably done with great haste and the result is less than ideal. In the past, my other folders have suffered some damage at their hands such as scratches to the frame and damage to the spokes. My suitcases have also suffered damage at their hands. The Spin 3, with its standard components is a better purchase over the long term rather than a Brompton with its custom, limited replacement parts. I have not yet taken it on a business trip. However, I have experimented with packing it away for a trip. After removing the wheels, seat post, and handlebars and handlebar post (think upper T), I am happy to report that the bike fits into my 31" hardcase beautifully with room to spare for my helmet, shoes, smaller toolkit, pump, tubes, luggage rack, lock, and clothes for the trip. All of this weighs less than the 50lb checked in baggage weight limit. I'll be sure to share my experience after my first business trip with the bike later this month.
Old 06-09-18, 08:06 AM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Accu and Abu, you guys are killing me. Your respective Spin purchases, glowing reviews, and the look of the bike are like the Sirens beckoning me. I’m waiting on Abu’s rebuild results and his test rides, but both the 3.0 and 5.0 are interesting. I like that the frame is sold for the fold.

Congratulations on a darn fine purchase and a well written review.
Old 06-09-18, 07:52 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I'll add that FSIR handleposts fold backwards, to the left and on the outside of the bike rather than between the wheels. The FSIR handlepost when folded down is stiff, and remains in place. It is not 'floppy'.
Old 06-10-18, 04:04 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
In the US looks like a recent 40 dollar price increase.
Old 06-10-18, 07:30 PM
tdonline

Great to hear another positive experience with this Solorock model. I'm a bit disappointed to hear some disassembly is needed to fit into a standard suitcase--but I suspected that was the case based on the measurements given. Slorida, thank you for confirming. Looking forward to reading your first trip with the bike.
Old 06-26-18, 06:14 PM
Slorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 40 days of riding, the Spin 3 no longer folds

Bad news guys,

I've had the Spin 3 for a little over a month now and have put about 150 miles on it. I've been noticing over the past few weeks, that the hinge about which the frame folds has been getting tighter and tighter. There is a bolt at the point of the hinge at the underside of the frame. Loosening that bolt seems to do nothing ease the tension in the hinge when trying to fold it. I have been in contact with Charles at Solo Rock. He has suggested that I loosen the bolt and apply WD-40 to the inside of the hinge. I have followed his instructions, but have not gotten any better results. After a 12 mile ride on Sunday, it appears I've folded the bike up for the last time. Today, when trying to unfold it to take it for a short ride, I discovered that the frame hinge has seized completely. The bike no longer unfolds without significant force, think having to stand on one end of the frame while pushing against the other half with my legs. I have contacted SoloRock and am considering driving up there next week to see if they can help me fix it. More later.

Last edited by Slorida; 07-02-18 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Old 06-26-18, 07:32 PM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
There are no bearings Abu, it is a tube in a tube only. My Spin 5.1 has a small bearing inside this head cap to allow the cap and hex screw to rotate around each other without abrasion. In my Spin 2.0, this hex screw was tightened, losened a small gap and secured with LocTite to keep it in place. I replaced it with a quick release.
The problem Slorida has i had in a mild version with my 5.1. The surfaces of the tubes where too rough. Even lubricated with grease they produced some abrasion of aluminium dust with every fold and that summed up to a harder and harder paste that will be glue at the end. I seperated the frame halves, polished both surfaces, lubricated with chain spray and have no probs since. Maybe it is already difficult to separate. Of course if there is warranty on the bike, leave it to the shop where you bought it.
Old 06-28-18, 05:50 PM
BCATC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
These look really cool, but it looks like they're completely sold out on the Solorock site. Is there anywhere else to buy one of these that ship to the US?
Old 07-02-18, 03:57 AM
Slorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame freeze

Originally Posted by splithub
There are no bearings Abu, it is a tube in a tube only. My Spin 5.1 has a small bearing inside this head cap to allow the cap and hex screw to rotate around each other without abrasion. In my Spin 2.0, this hex screw was tightened, losened a small gap and secured with LocTite to keep it in place. I replaced it with a quick release.
The problem Slorida has i had in a mild version with my 5.1. The surfaces of the tubes where too rough. Even lubricated with grease they produced some abrasion of aluminium dust with every fold and that summed up to a harder and harder paste that will be glue at the end. I seperated the frame halves, polished both surfaces, lubricated with chain spray and have no probs since. Maybe it is already difficult to separate. Of course if there is warranty on the bike, leave it to the shop where you bought it.
I wish I had known this when I first received the frame. I would have dismantled it and tried sanding and lubricating the two halves as you suggested. From my experience, the scenario that you described is probably what occurred. With each fold, it felt as if some glue in the hinge was slowly drying and fusing the two pieces together. Removing the fixing bolt and top cap did not reveal a threadless fork-like mechanism at all.
I contacted SoloRock and they sent me a FedEx return label to ship the bicycle back to their warehouse. I'll keep you posted on what happens next.
Old 07-18-18, 07:43 PM
Slorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin 3 serviced by Solorock and being returned

Solorock was kind enough to provide me with a shipping label for the bike. They received it within a few days and I was contacted by Charles who told me that he had thoroughly lubed the bike and gotten it to fold and unfold again. He is shipping the bike back to me now at their expense. I'll see how it rides when I receive it.
If you are considering the Spin 5 vs the Spin 3, it appears that they essentially share the same frame. The Spin 3 folds more compactly with its smaller diameter wheels. This is especially useful for carrying onto public transit and stowing it away while at work, in a cafe, sliding it into a grocery cart, or tucking it out of the way at home. Having ridden 406's, 451's, and 16" wheel folders, I can tell you that I really like the quick feeling of the 16" folders when riding in urban environments. Like riding all bikes, if you plan on going fast, you need to watch where you ride and avoid potholes and ruts in general. I feel no disadvantage to riding a 16" in that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.