Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Hobos and Their Worlds?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bicycle Hobos and Their Worlds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 05:35 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I recently re-read On The Road and Kerouac, with all his romanticism, came of as a bit of a ****** - he 'freeloaded' quite a bit and yes, he did some tough jobs, but whenever he reached a dead end he'd either wire his aunt in NY and ask for money and/or go back to NY to live with her. IMO, real hobos have no fallback and must rely on their own achievements.
Your using Jack Kerouac is a poor example of freeloading --> he gave the world way more than he took.

Last edited by BigAura; 06-14-18 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-14-18, 05:43 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
One of my warmshowers guests was an interesting guy, about my age at the time, in his mid-50s. He was a single father who'd gotten his son through school, then quit his job and dropped off the grid. He'd been living on his bike, doing some serious cycling (5-8000 miles per year) with decent gear. His yearly budget was $5000. He was challenged one year with a broken collarbone. He was happy, had all his teeth, was clean, and looked good. He'd found a few places he liked to settle down for a season once in a while and make a little money as a skilled carpenter. He said he had a bit of a social media following as well, but I'm not into that and didn't pay attention.
Old 06-14-18, 07:49 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Favorite hobo movie and soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOQSAHffc70
I love that as well. Book, movie, and most excellent soundtrack.

There is another quite similar, and arguably as good in my opinion.

Book...Movie was in the works, but I don't know that it was ever completed. Dan Bern, however, did an awesome soundtrack. More than Hobos or Nomads, I'm a big fan of the Vagabond...

Check it if you're unfamiliar....

Everett Ruess (March 28, 1914 – c. November 1934) was a young American artist, poet, and writer known for his solo explorations of the High Sierra, the California coast, and the desertsof the American Southwest and his ultimate disappearance while traveling through a remote area of Utah. His fate remains a mystery to this day.

Old 06-14-18, 07:51 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
He died at such a young age. Younger than Norma Jeane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherman_(vagabon

Thanks. It is a true story...except for the part about the stolen bike which I added to his legend.

He was a real Vagabond. I have been to several of the caves he stayed in. Once found a litter of baby coyotes in one. Mom didn't appreciate the visit.
Old 06-14-18, 09:04 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Thanks. It is a true story...except for the part about the stolen bike which I added to his legend.

He was a real Vagabond. I have been to several of the caves he stayed in. Once found a litter of baby coyotes in one. Mom didn't appreciate the visit.
There is a guy who wanders the roads near my home barefoot and dressed in similar clothing, I’d guess in his 30s. A few years ago the house he lived in was sold, torn down and a new house was built on the property. I assume it was the house he grew up in. We call him the Bee Man, because the house had a sign out front that there was honey for sale. No idea where he lives now, but we still see him on occasion walking barefoot on the side of the road near his old house.