Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tour-de-Korea 2018

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tour-de-Korea 2018

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 05:57 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
UNESCO World Heritage Site - Hahoe Village
An approximation of what Korea looked like before the 20th century

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-08-18 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 07:00 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Back to Seoul from Busan on bullet train
$58, assigned seating, 2.5 hours, free Wi-fi

Old 06-09-18, 05:53 PM
Abu Mahendra

On the road again...

Having completed the Seoul-Busan haul, i got back to Seoul yesterday, had some lunch at the train station (Yongsan), and got on the road again seeking to complete another trail, one heading northeast from Seoul along the Bukhan (northern Han) river.

Waiting for the elevator to get down to river level in Seoul

Symmetry as seen in bridge underpass

A bridge over the river Bukhan where the Bukhan flows onto the Han River.

Video clips of the earlier haul southwards toward Busan

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-09-18 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 09:19 AM
Abu Mahendra

Old 06-11-18, 06:16 AM
Abu Mahendra

And so it ends...

Rolling into Seoul, bringing the tour to an end.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-11-18 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-11-18, 07:01 AM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great pictures (I've always been a sucker for bridge architecture) and it looks like a very bike friendly ride, which is a huge plus. Nothing worse than navigating streets where the cars play chicken with you.
Old 06-11-18, 05:37 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Roegmann
Great pictures (I've always been a sucker for bridge architecture) and it looks like a very bike friendly ride, which is a huge plus. Nothing worse than navigating streets where the cars play chicken with you.
Korea and Taiwan are for you, then. Plenty of bridges since a lot of the riding is by rivers spanned by bridge after bridge. Here you go, a video clip just for you. Bridge on the left, bridge on the right, bridge beneath you...
Old 06-11-18, 06:03 PM
Roegmann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful. Both Taiwan (me) and Korea (wife) have been itching to see. We’ve been to Thailand (loved Sukkothai) twice and HK; Australia in a few months. We rent roadsters and just pedal to our hearts content.

We do folders at home (States). Thanks for the video Abu.
Old 06-11-18, 06:14 PM
Abu Mahendra

Sunset over Sukhothai

Originally Posted by Roegmann
Beautiful. Both Taiwan (me) and Korea (wife) have been itching to see. We’ve been to Thailand (loved Sukkothai) twice and HK; Australia in a few months. We rent roadsters and just pedal to our hearts content.

We do folders at home (States). Thanks for the video Abu.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-11-18 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 06:58 AM
Roegmann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recognize that view. Very peaceful there. Very hot too, but it was worth it. We would drink gallons of water and still not be quenched. Anyway, beautiful pictures.
Old 06-19-18, 05:36 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Is the dry bag made for the Kanga rack? Looks like a perfect fit.
The dry bag does fit the Kanga Rack like a glove, nice and taut, but no, it is not made for the rack. It is a rather generic dry bag made by Eiger, a local Indonesian maker of adventure goods. $14 for the dry bag.
Old 06-20-18, 05:50 AM
Abu Mahendra

Thanks for the reply! That explains why I couldn't find the dry bag on Tern's website
If you don't mind me asking, what model is your Ortlieb bag? 7L capacity?
The Ortlieb bag is an Ultimate 6 Classic. Yes, 7L capacity.
Old 06-24-18, 11:00 PM
Abu Mahendra

South Korea vs. Taiwan

Having toured in South Korea and Taiwan within the last few months, I am in a good position to provide a comparison of the two places as CC-touring destinations.

Getting There
Coming from the Americas, Europe or Ocenia, both South Korea and Taiwan are going to be long, not inexpensive hauls. From Southeast Asia, Taiwan is closer, and flights are less expensive than to Korea.

Folding Bikes in Public Transport
In Taiwan, I only put the bike on trains, once on a local train where one can simply roll the bike aboard, and another time on an express train where the bike had to be folded and in a bag. In Korea, I took the bike folded and in a bag in the express train from Incheon airport, on the bullet train from Busan to Taipei, and on the shuttle bus from downtown Seoul to the airport. No problems.

Costs
Hotel prices are comparable in Taiwan and Korea. In both places one will pay more in Taipei and in Seoul. Korea has Love Motels everywhere which can be quite plush, and a great value in travelling as a couple. I never paid more than $55/nite outside of Seoul. Taiwan hotel prices are similar, but it has the advantage that it is well served by Agoda so searching hotels is easier. Hotels in Taiwan will provide breakfast, while most hotels where I stayed in Korea did not. For this reason, hotels in Taiwan are marginally less expensive
Food costs is where the two countries differ. Food in Korea is more expensive than in Taiwan. In the former, you will be hard pressed to get a bowl of noodles or rice, both in and out of Seoul, for less than $5-7. Meat is particularly expensive in Korea. Another striking difference is the prevalence and quality of 7/11 convenience stores. In Taiwan they are everywhere, they are well-stocked with food, and have nice tables to sit at. By comparison, Korean convenience stores lag.

Public Security and Safety
Both Taiwan and South Korea are very safe. At no time did I feel even remotely unsafe or vulnerable. Public criminality is generally very low. When on roads, there are either shoulders or dedicated bike lanes in both countries, and vehicular traffic is quite respectful of cyclists. People leave you alone, and there are no hassles or hustles of any kind in both places. Leaving bikes unattended outside is generally safe, and bikes are often just locked so the wheel cannot turn, rather than affixed to a stationary object. No tips or gratuities of any kind are requested or expected anywhere. People are generally friendly, though reserved, and helpul in both places.

Riding and Roads
I came away very impressed with the amount and quality of public infrastructure in both places. It is obvious that Taiwan and Korea have invested significantly in transportation, rail and roads. In the case of Korea, the investment in water-works is evident everywhere. Taiwan has some impressive long-span bridges and elevated roadways. Korea blasted through mountains to provide tunnels for its bike paths, and Taiwan has built pedestrian and bike only bridges. Road surfaces in both places is good.

In Korea the bike trails are brilliant. Imagine, you can cross the entire country, essentially on one continuous bike path. Trails around Seoul and Taipei are quite substantial. Once out of the capital cities, the bike paths in Korea don't have a lot of climbs, but the one that there are tend to be 10-13% gradient. Short and steep. Climbs in Taiwan are more gradual and a lot longer and more prevalent. In Taiwan you'll do more total elevation while in Korea you'll do more total distance.

One interesting aspect of the Korean bike path is that once you get down to Busan, you can hop on a ferry to Japan, and continue there.

In summary, both places are well set up, and rewarding for CC-touring. Taiwan and Korea have long, fascinating histories, culture and cuisine too. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-25-18 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 10:13 PM
socalscalatore

Bikes: 2017 CAAD12

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for great writeup and pictures. This is something I'd like to do someday.
Old 06-28-18, 10:46 PM
Abu Mahendra

What's the Liter capacity of your dry bag there? I guess around 30L or so?

Nice write-up, btw. I've visited Korea and Taiwan several times (though not for bike touring) and concur with everything you wrote. Japan is similar.
Hi...the dry-bag is 25L. I reckon it was 3/5ths full. Nevertheless it is better to have a larger dry-bag because, though you may not need the volume, the diameter will be wider, making getting things in and out easier, and making the package wide and low, rather than tall and narrow as with a smaller dry-bag.

Japan is the natural next destination. I'd love to cycle from Kyoto to Fukuoka then ferry across to Busan. I've heard great things about Hokkaido.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-28-18 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 07:26 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Leaving Seoul for Busan, about 600km to the southeast along the Han River bike path, tomorrow morning.
Abu, did you use any bike navigation app for Korea? Naver? Did you get to use anything in English? Thanks.