Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New groupset time. Some questions....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 07:14 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I currently run Campy Chorus from 2014. I recently finished building my first frame and I'll be swapping my current group onto the new frame. Soooo, I will need a new group for my Fuji. I was thinking I'd get the new Chorus, but a friend of mine keeps pushing me to Ultegra or DA di2. Thinking DA is out due to cost, but Ultegra is feasible.

So, is 8050 a downgrade from Chorus? I really love Campy, and have been hesitant to go electronic, but lately I've been thinking about it.

I will also be getting a crank based PM in the process, and was going to run Praxis carbon crank with a P2M PM with the Chorus. P2M doesn't have anything for Shimano, but I supposed I could always go the same route anyway.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed, thanks.

Brandon
Old 06-17-18, 08:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
So you want to put part of an old groupset, along with a new crank powermeter, on a new frame, and buy a new groupset for the old frame? What's the basic rationale there? Why not just buy the new bits you need for the new bike and new powermeter?
Old 06-17-18, 08:29 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Having a 2015 Chorus 11s bike and a Di2 hydro-disc Ultegra bike....the Di2 bike puts more of a grin on my face. It is more comfy (gravel.touring bike versus roadie race bike), it is more ginchy, shifts are just as quick and can be configured to have as many multiple shifts...oh and if you're on a SAG ride-wrenches always know about Shimano or have Shimano parts---forget about finding Campagnolo parts in the wilderness.

Another bit of food for thought...a Chrous 11s cassette will cost $120USD online retail on Amazon...a 105 Cassette will cost $40USD on Amazon.

Is your frame setup/drilled for Di2 already? If not, this can get messy. Measure 3 times drill once.
Old 06-17-18, 08:38 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by chaadster
So you want to put part of an old groupset, along with a new crank powermeter, on a new frame, and buy a new groupset for the old frame? What's the basic rationale there? Why not just buy the new bits you need for the new bike and new powermeter?
I won't be pulling bits, but the whole group from my Fuji to my newly made steel frame. When I do that, my Fuji will be bare, which is why I'll need a new group. I had a PowerTap hub in a wheelset that I just sold, so I'll need a PM since I really enjoy the benefits that a PM provide.
Old 06-17-18, 08:45 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Having a 2015 Chorus 11s bike and a Di2 hydro-disc Ultegra bike....the Di2 bike puts more of a grin on my face. It is more comfy (gravel.touring bike versus roadie race bike), it is more ginchy, shifts are just as quick and can be configured to have as many multiple shifts...oh and if you're on a SAG ride-wrenches always know about Shimano or have Shimano parts---forget about finding Campagnolo parts in the wilderness.

Another bit of food for thought...a Chrous 11s cassette will cost $120USD online retail on Amazon...a 105 Cassette will cost $40USD on Amazon.

Is your frame setup/drilled for Di2 already? If not, this can get messy. Measure 3 times drill once.
Thanks for your input. Yes, my Fuji is di2 compatible so I'm good there. Maybe there's a prestige type of thought process on my end, but when I think of Ultegra vs. Campy, I just feel like the bike would less unique. I see your point on cassette costs. I currently run an Ultegra cassette with my Chorus now and it works just fine.

I've also sadly developed a lust for some weight weenie-ish items. Do you know how much heavier Ultegra Di2 is than the mechanical version?
Old 06-17-18, 09:45 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by BigPoser
Thanks for your input. Yes, my Fuji is di2 compatible so I'm good there. Maybe there's a prestige type of thought process on my end, but when I think of Ultegra vs. Campy, I just feel like the bike would less unique. I see your point on cassette costs. I currently run an Ultegra cassette with my Chorus now and it works just fine.

I've also sadly developed a lust for some weight weenie-ish items. Do you know how much heavier Ultegra Di2 is than the mechanical version?
I don't know the weight difference...it is probably all of half a water bottle or less.

A few other things, now that I think about it:

-Rim caliper brakes...I like Chorus skeleton brake feel/action better....at least comparing to a 6800 lever/caliper. Maybe the 8000 are different/better. But TBH, the Ultegra hydros are way better than Campy skeleton rim brakes. Power/modulation/lever-feel-they're just better.
-As far as uniqueness....depends on where you live. In My Fair City the state capitol...there's a grand total of 5 or 6 di2/eTap bikes.
-The nice thing about Di2...it just doesn't care about road grime and wet....unlike mechanical 11s drivetrains that get very fussy about housing contamination.
Old 06-19-18, 03:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Ultegra vs Campagnolo Chorus. In my mind this is an even choice unless you are talking about DI2 which tilts the scales in favour of Shimano. A Campagnolo user will appreciate that with DI2, all levers have separate functions. As a long time(45 years) user of Campagnolo equipped bikes, I can say that I am well invested. However, I can also say that I love/hate Shimano. They make such great bicycle components for so many different types of cycling. All that said, my next dream bike will have Campgnolo 12 speed, disc brakes, and I won't look back
I will have better gearing on the uphills, and better braking on the downhills

Last edited by alcjphil; 06-19-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 03:09 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I would go with Campy without even thinking about it.
Old 06-19-18, 05:15 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
As far as performance you can't go wrong with either. The problem I would have would be having 2 bikes with completely incompatible groups. Can't swap cassettes or other parts as they just don't mix well unless you buy some adapters. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 06-19-18, 07:03 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I would go with Campy without even thinking about it.
This!
Old 06-19-18, 09:20 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Ultegra Di2. Will out perform Chorus in every way except for weight and not being "special".
Old 06-22-18, 09:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have a bike shop in Bakersfield with any background in high end components ?
Old 06-22-18, 10:09 AM
BigPoser

So I've decided to stay with Campy. Now I need to decide which group to get. A friend of mine owns a shop and can get me really good pricing. Each option will be without a crank since I'm going to get the Praxis Zayante carbon with P2M PM (which is $1000). So I can get Chorus for $700, Record for $1000 and Chorus EPS for $1500.

Last edited by BigPoser; 06-22-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-22-18, 10:14 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Have a bike shop in Bakersfield with any background in high end components ?

Yeah we do have a nice shop in town that has a great rep and I've chatted with them but they say the same that others do. It seems that everyone has likes and dislikes about each, which doesn't really help me all that much.
Old 06-22-18, 10:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
So I've decided to stay with Campy. Now I need to decide which group to get. A friend of mine owns a shop and can get me really good pricing. Each option will be without a crank since I'm going to get the Praxis Zayante carbon with P2M PM (which is $1000). So I can get Chorus for $700, Record for $1000 and Chorus EPS for $1500.
Does it have to be complete groupset for those prices, or is your friend paying piecemeal (since you're not getting the crank)? I'd do Chorus except opt for a Record FD.
Old 06-22-18, 10:35 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

I have both a Di2 bike and an eTap bike. Knowing what I know now, I'd do eTap. Both are great, but it's just that much nicer in my opinion. No wires at all and it seems to shift better under load than the Ultegra Di2 that I have. I'm idly looking for someone to take my Ui2 system and then I'd go to eTap on that bike. That said, both are terrific and far more fun to ride than mech (for me).

SRAM, Shimano and Campy cassettes are all compatible on 11 speed systems for shifting and are swappable at the wheel level. Shimano and SRAM are compatible at the hub level but Campy is not. I'm guessing you probably knew that.
Old 06-22-18, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I ask because I am in a town where everything that someone needs for the current Campagnolo stuff
(or even higher end race bike anything)
is all special order .. so those who tour using that stuff on their bikes, on the Oregon coast, with small towns,

Has to hang out a few days for the parts to be ordered and shipped , specifically for them.

But our Summer Tourist economy offers rooms food and drinks* , so that's not an uncomfortable interval..

* including several Large Craft Brewery - Cafes ..
JohnJ80

I currently run Campy Chorus from 2014. I recently finished building my first frame and I'll be swapping my current group onto the new frame. Soooo, I will need a new group for my Fuji. I was thinking I'd get the new Chorus, but a friend of mine keeps pushing me to Ultegra or DA di2. Thinking DA is out due to cost, but Ultegra is feasible.

So, is 8050 a downgrade from Chorus? I really love Campy, and have been hesitant to go electronic, but lately I've been thinking about it.

I will also be getting a crank based PM in the process, and was going to run Praxis carbon crank with a P2M PM with the Chorus. P2M doesn't have anything for Shimano, but I supposed I could always go the same route anyway.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed, thanks.

Brandon
I have both a Di2 bike and an eTap bike. Knowing what I know now, I'd do eTap. Both are great, but it's just that much nicer in my opinion. No wires at all and it seems to shift better under load than the Ultegra Di2 that I have. I'm idly looking for someone to take my Ui2 system and then I'd go to eTap on that bike. That said, both are terrific and far more fun to ride than mech (for me). As a one time benefit, it's also easier to install.
BigPoser

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Does it have to be complete groupset for those prices, or is your friend paying piecemeal (since you're not getting the crank)? I'd do Chorus except opt for a Record FD.

Basically piecing it together since I'm not getting the crank. Why the Record FD?
Old 06-22-18, 11:00 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 286 Posts
I have 11-speed Record mechanical and love the look and feel. For $300 extra, I'd go record, especially as you're looking to save some weight too.
Old 06-22-18, 11:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Basically piecing it together since I'm not getting the crank. Why the Record FD?
Probably an illusion, I like the feel and sound of the full carbon cage used in Record (and SR) vs. the lined alloy used in Chorus. And, while I can't speak to US costs, oversees the cost difference is only $20 between chorus and record
EDIT: Sorry, not a full, but rather half-carbon cage (outer half is carbon on Record).

Last edited by Sy Reene; 06-22-18 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-22-18, 03:38 PM
kansukee

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
That's not even a question dude...stay with Campy. It's nice not having a cookie-cutter bike like most people. As far as those choices, for only $ I'd probably go with Chorus EPS.
Old 07-01-18, 03:20 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by onyerleft
This is a bad time to buy a gruppo. I'd wait a couple of years if possible; by then, Di2 will have trickled down to 105 or even Tiagra, and might be wireless as well. eTap will have trickled down too. Both Di2 and eTap will be better than they are now. And yes, to preempt somebody's obvious comment, you can always recommend to defer a purchase because improvements are coming down the pipe, but this is more true now than is usually the case.
People have been dreaming of 105 trickle down for 4+ years, still hasn't happened.

Meanwhile the cost of 105 bikes that used to be $1500usd or so is now $3000usd or so. By the time Di2 trickles down to Tiagra, Tiagra bikes will be used-car price levels as well. ETap too will climb in price. Due to price inflation all the groupset makers are introducing crapier products with 10/9 and even 8-speed groups (the latest in 1990s tech) to even service the lower/middle price brackets as they are now.
Old 07-04-18, 03:27 PM
JohnJ80

This is a bad time to buy a gruppo. I'd wait a couple of years if possible; by then, Di2 will have trickled down to 105 or even Tiagra, and might be wireless as well. eTap will have trickled down too. Both Di2 and eTap will be better than they are now. And yes, to preempt somebody's obvious comment, you can always recommend to defer a purchase because improvements are coming down the pipe, but this is more true now than is usually the case.
Which is really a (foolish) case for not buying anything ever.

I've been waiting for both etap and di2 to trickle down for years. If I hadn't just jumped in at some point and bought it, I'd still be waiting. I doubt we'll see this happen in 10 years or more at the rate it's going.
Old 07-04-18, 03:42 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Oh, etap and Di2 will definitely trickle down, and sooner rather than later. Shimano and SRAM are in a Mexican standoff over this, waiting for the first one to make their move. I predict that SRAM will move first.
We'll see 12 speed and probably 13 speed first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.