Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire lust

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire lust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 12:54 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul

One can never have to many pairs of cycling shoes or tires for that matter..
You should open a web shop.
Old 06-22-18, 01:13 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Yes, one can.
Old 06-22-18, 02:47 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

Umm...

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Yes, one can.
+1

Technical FAQ: Taking care of unused tires | VeloNews.com

TL;DR- Bike tires will start to show signs of age after 4-5 years of storage. Not that they will suddenly fail, but they will degrade slightly. If you change both tires every 2000 miles (which is silly, I can get 5k out of a GP4000), you would need to ride 15k miles every year for 5 years to use up that stockpile. Not saying that's impossible, plenty of pros do way more, but why bother stocking up to world tour team levels of supplies for a single rider?
Old 06-22-18, 03:03 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Damn...

i have one spare tire for each set; one GP 4 Season and one GP 4000s II. And a few tubes.

Why would I need more?
Old 06-22-18, 03:28 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Damn...

i have one spare tire for each set; one GP 4 Season and one GP 4000s II. And a few tubes.

Why would I need more?
We all have different needs and desires as I just can not pass up a good deal on anything and will buy even if I do not need. Some of these 4000 GP All Season I snagged for USD$25.00... I had over a 100 of them at one time and by the time I took about a dozen to my home in Sri Lanka and gave my kids some, I am down to about 32 of them I think. Those PAVE Vitorias I just give away to my friends in Sri Lanka who can not afford to buy tires..
Old 06-22-18, 03:41 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
We all have different needs and desires as I just can not pass up a good deal on anything and will buy even if I do not need. Some of these 4000 GP All Season I snagged for USD$25.00... I had over a 100 of them at one time and by the time I took about a dozen to my home in Sri Lanka and gave my kids some, I am down to about 32 of them I think. Those PAVE Vitorias I just give away to my friends in Sri Lanka who can not afford to buy tires..
If that's the intent in the purchase, then who are we to tell you what you need? Giving tires away to those that can't afford them is a good thing. Kudos. I still think your LBS owes you a lobster dinner for keeping their lights on.
Old 06-22-18, 03:50 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
If that's the intent in the purchase, then who are we to tell you what you need? Giving tires away to those that can't afford them is a good thing. Kudos. I still think your LBS owes you a lobster dinner for keeping their lights on.
FYI I took my LBS owner to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks in February on my wife and I including his airline ticket. Quite honestly I could never buy any of this stuff anywhere at the prices I do through him and the shop.. I buy things he never would sell in his shop like 3 sets of German Lightweight Wheels etc etc.... Yes I do give tires, tubes, tail lights and water bottles away to guy in Sri Lanka..
Old 06-29-18, 08:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Now i'm looking for another alloy 8/9/10 shimano tubular wheelset

to mount the 30mm tires on.

Funky/worn OK as it's for knock-around use.

Possible trade for nice but creaky Mavic R-sys clincher set.
Old 06-30-18, 07:54 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I like the Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed better than the regular (non-speed) Corsa. I'm currently running both in size 25 with Continental Supersonic tubes. The Rubino G+ Speed definitely has more grip than the regular Corsa.

I'd also like to try the Corsa G+ Speed but Vittoria says they have less grip than the Rubino G+ Speed so I'm in no rush.

My point is that the Rubino G+ Speed are a serious tire for everyday riding and much less expensive.

-Tim-
I used to only ride Rubino Pros. I put Zaffiros on a new steel build and Corsa G's on my regular bike. I don't notice much difference between the Rubino Pros or Corsa G's. There is a difference between either of those and the Zaffiro's though. I do have a new pair of Contis in the garage to try next. As for hoarding tires or anything else...yikes

Last edited by Shuffleman; 06-30-18 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-30-18, 08:58 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I buy a lot of tubulars annually. A. Lot. I glue a ton as well. Tires have gotten markedly better in the last 3-5 years on almost an annual basis. I wouldn’t bother stocking up on anything honestly.

The top tires of yesterday are being cleared cleared out today because the new ones are in fact that much better IMHO. Especially with the Vittoria line. G+ stuff is really a lot better than the CX lineup from before.

And yes some some of the posts in here almost put my shop to shame.
Old 06-30-18, 11:13 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I buy a lot of tubulars annually. A. Lot. I glue a ton as well. Tires have gotten markedly better in the last 3-5 years on almost an annual basis. I wouldn’t bother stocking up on anything honestly.

The top tires of yesterday are being cleared cleared out today because the new ones are in fact that much better IMHO. Especially with the Vittoria line. G+ stuff is really a lot better than the CX lineup from before.

And yes some some of the posts in here almost put my shop to shame.

That's the rub- they're being cleared out at a price that's hard to resist.