Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cromoly or Hitensile steel for extended touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cromoly or Hitensile steel for extended touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 06:16 PM
manuelgabriel

Bikes: Bridgestone Roadman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I can't imagine that a famous frame builder would be working in hi-ten and be so cheap for a full on touring frame with all the braze ons and such. It just doesn't quite make sense.
Most people here aren't that rich but still love cycling that's why the frame builder chose to build bikes using hi-tensile
Old 01-10-17, 02:17 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by manuelgabriel
That's the plan. Spend less on the frame and put most of my money in buying good components and wheels
I'm of the opposite opinion. Get a good frame to begin with, put on cheaper components if you have to. That way sometime down the road when you can afford better components, you'll have a good bicycle. With a low quality frame and good components you'll always have a low quality bicycle, no matter what. But of course a complete bicycle, off the rack, will almost always be the least expensive, best option.
IMHO
Old 01-10-17, 02:54 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Uh.. a custom made Hi ten frame built to your specific size with the exact features you want for a loaded touring bike would be a quality frame. It's what most of the world has ridden successfully for the last half century or so. Only in the privileged 1st world do we think expensive alternatives are "necessary".

The problem is most people don't know what frame they want when they start so following that thinking they risk wasting a bunch of money on a platform they may or may not ultimately like. Do they want an upright posture, road posture, canti brakes, disc, steel, Al, CF... Someone might buy an adventure bike and find they only do the KATY trail and didn't need something so overbuilt. Another might buy a road frame and decide they enjoy doing gravel more. Buy a LHT and discover one likes CC touring; buy a CF road bike and decide they want to do a fully self supported tour.

A saddle will travel from bike to bike. Same with wheels, racks, panniers, cranksets and most component parts. The only real decision one has to make is wheel size; mainly 700c or 26".

You will also get a better improvement in ride by upgrading components vs frame material providing the bikes themselves are well made. Going from Hi ten to Chromo might save 5lb's on a touring bike which you may or may not notice once you are fully loaded. In this case at an increased cost of $250. Spend that on a saddle, tires or wheels and you will more likely feel an improvement.

I would way rather ride a Hi ten bike with a comfortable saddle and good tires than a Chromo bike with an uncomfortable saddle and cheap tires.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-10-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Make sure the frame is built to be compatible with the components of your choice.

So, if you wish to eventually install disc brakes, make sure you get that capability, even if you decide to initially find a set of cheap caliper rim brakes and rim brake wheels to save money on your initial build.
Old 01-10-17, 07:39 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
a $5 salvation army bargain bin cast-iron "huffy" frame, if it fits, will make
a decent touring bike when built up with solid wheels and components.

the frame may be heavy, but 99.44% serviceable and guaranteed not to break.

on the another hand, a $5000 hand-built titanium touring frame built up with
the carpy components that came off that huffy would be an exercise
in frustration.
Old 01-10-17, 09:44 PM
Happy Feet

Exactly.

That's not to say that people shouldn't try to go for the best frame they can afford but the material it is made of makes less difference in the bigger scheme of things. The time that frame material starts to matter more is when people start going beyond the boundaries of traditional loaded touring into UL or psuedo race type tours and strip equipment weight down to the point that frame weight also makes a difference.

Sometimes people say they like a light, responsive feel from a frame, but for a loaded tour bike I think you really want the opposite - a steady straight tracking ride. I don't want a twitchy nimble bike when I'm trying to follow a shoulder line for 8+ hours a day.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-10-17 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 10:44 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by saddlesores

in frustration.
Guaranteed not to break?? Really??
But I do see your point, but still disagree.
Old 01-11-17, 12:26 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

in frustration.
The gas pipe frame would be heavy enough, but get a spoked wheelset. Solid wheels would add a lot of rotational weight.
Old 01-11-17, 01:10 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Guaranteed not to break?? Really??
But I do see your point, but still disagree.
I'll guarantee that'll never do this:

Old 01-11-17, 11:07 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon cracks, steel bends. So your 1 picture of a busted carbon frame compared to the probably millions of bent steel frames in the world proves the superiority of carbon compared to low end or midrange steel frames. I'm still willing to discuss high end steel. The level of workmanship needs to be considered also.
Thanks for the 1 picture.
Speaking of workmanship, I'm thinking that carbon must be done well to produce a decent bicycle frame, no cutting corners. Not the same for steel. Look at the bad Xmart bicycles for example.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 01-13-17 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 08:05 AM
Spoken36

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A question for those who in this thread have stated that there is a 5 pound difference in weight between Hi-ten and Cromoly frames: Have you weighed the stripped frames? If you have, what are the details of the frames? There are many possible details, but none of them, even stacked up, would seem to yield a 5 lb difference. Yesterday I stripped and weighed the frames, sans forks, of two old Treks. A 1976 TX200 49cm that is all Hi-tensile and has butting, was 5.2 lbs. A 1982 model 610 56cm that is 531 double butted main tubes with Ishiwata Magny10 stays weighed half a pound less at 4.7 lbs. That's ONE HALF POUND difference.

Yes, the smaller frame was heavier, and the bigger frame was only butted 531 main tubes. But to say there could be 2 pounds difference because of Hi-ten vs Cro-Moly is overstating the case, let alone the absurdity of 5 pounds. Good grief. A general, guessed at, five pounds is what frames WEIGH. Let's not state weights unless we do the weighing. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-05-18, 08:22 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoken36
...Yesterday I stripped and weighed the frames.....
next best thing to cyclin' neckit!
Old 06-05-18, 08:37 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
ZOMBIE

Originally Posted by Spoken36
Yes, the smaller frame was heavier, and the bigger frame was only butted 531 main tubes. But to say there could be 2 pounds difference because of Hi-ten vs Cro-Moly is overstating the case, let alone the absurdity of 5 pounds. Good grief. A general, guessed at, five pounds is what frames WEIGH. Let's not state weights unless we do the weighing. Just a suggestion.
The actual quote was:
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Touring is an interesting niche. Nobody wants to lug around an extra 5 pounds. But, if your bike and gear is 60 pounds vs 65 pounds, how much difference does it really make? Is 5 pounds worth $300?
Not a claim that the frame would actually be 5# heavier, rather that in touring you are already carrying a lot of weight, even 5# in difference isn't that significant. I.e., don't worry about the weight.
Old 06-05-18, 08:40 AM
Spoken36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
next best thing to cyclin' neckit!
Yeah.
My wife was really complaining about that... but you gotta be comfy when weighing bare frames.
Old 06-05-18, 09:04 AM
Spoken36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the $300 dollar difference was referring to the OP's Hi-Ten vs Cromoly scenario. As was the 5 lb difference. All in the quote that you generously provided.

5 lbs, of going from Hi-ten to Cromoly -- worth the $300 extra cost. That is the actual context.

But I fully agree with your assessment. The weight is functionally irrelevant.
Old 06-05-18, 09:36 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 93 Posts
I am another vote for good tires and wheels. I have several bikes with hi ten frames that ride very well once I add light wheels and supple tires. You would get more benefit from spending money on the wheels than on the chromoly steel IMO.
Old 06-05-18, 09:54 AM
Happy Feet

Thanks for weighing the frames Spoken36

I think most of the weight discrepancy would come from the lower end/older parts used on many Hiten frames. You just have to pick up some older seats bars or cranks, freewheel rims or caliper brake levers to see. At least for mtb's, the onset of cromoly frames and subsequent higher quality aluminum parts drops the weigh of bikes considerably.

I would be willing to bet a sandwich that if you had two frames built the same, painted the same, spec'd the same and loaded the same for a tour, no one would be able to tell the difference between one or the other.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 06-05-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In order to be of adequate strength, a Hi Ten tube set has a thicker tube wall..

the added expense for Chro Mo / 4130, can be made even lighter,
thru additional efforts , heat treating, butting, etc.
adding to material cost, and skills needed of the builder..
Old 06-05-18, 10:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
The weight of a bike is the sum of the weights of all parts on it. I have a couple similar touring bikes. One has a Titanium frame, the bike is only a few pounds lighter than the comparable steel frame bike.

The Titanium frame (without fork) actually weighs less than my rear wheel with a 37mm tire on it. The wheel is built for carrying a load, thus I have 36 spokes holding a Dyad rim to the M756A steel axle hub that carries a steel cassette.

Both bikes have nearly identical drive trains, both have Brooks saddles, both have robust racks on front and rear, both have fenders, etc. Besides the difference in frame material, the only other significant difference is that the Titanium bike is 700c and the steel frame bike is 26 inch. The steel frame bike weighs 9 percent more than the Titanium bike. I think the difference is roughly equivalent to about one and a half water bottles. Not a huge difference.
Old 06-05-18, 02:22 PM
Spoken36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Thanks for weighing the frames Spoken36

I would be willing to bet a sandwich that if you had two frames built the same, painted the same, spec'd the same and loaded the same for a tour, no one would be able to tell the difference between one or the other.
I think you’d be eating a sandwich if somebody took that bet. I was a little disappointed when I found out that the TX200 was HiTen (not had it ridable yet), but after weighing it and some other frames, I’m glad for the extra metal given that it’s going to meet with my inexperienced brazing torch.

I have lots of hi-zoot steel bikes, but I’m about done with that Kool Aid. Not getting rid of the herd, mind ya. Sometimes a half pound matters to me — in my head.
Old 06-05-18, 03:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
don't forget the tube diameter matters too, not just the steel alloys..

but , will you tour, somewhere, on what you have? or just stay home,
until you have the perfect bike?

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-18 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 04:47 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Having said that, if I were getting a bike custom built and could afford it, I would probably go with the stronger lighter material... bamboo.
Like this?
Old 06-05-18, 04:54 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I can't imagine that a famous frame builder would be working in hi-ten and be so cheap for a full on touring frame with all the braze ons and such. It just doesn't quite make sense.
i can get a set of wheels hand laced up by an experienced wheel-builder for $15 labor in Indonesia. Labor is even cheaper in the Philippines. Labor is cheap outside the developed West.
Old 06-05-18, 08:30 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Like this?
Sweet!

It's on my DIY short list. Do you know what kit that's from.
and... What's up with the chain stay assembly? Oh, I see, in the pic it looks like the top of the right stay is attached to the bottom of the left

Last edited by Happy Feet; 06-05-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 06:30 PM
Abu Mahendra

Sweet!

It's on my DIY short list. Do you know what kit that's from.
and... What's up with the chain stay assembly? Oh, I see, in the pic it looks like the top of the right stay is attached to the bottom of the left
It's not a kit, but rather manufactured by a now-defunct American-owned company in Bali. There is a truss spanning the left chain-stay and seat-stay to brace--my guess--againt the forces created by the disk brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.