Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel to coaster brake?

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Old 08-30-17, 09:15 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Alt Bikes seems the best place to ask about this.
I've got a Raleigh M60 I picked up (basically for nothing, as it had some grips and pedals I wanted on another bike that were worth more than I paid for it). The last owner "converted" it to single speed by removing the derailleurs. The rear wheel has some cogs and spacers on it, and is missing a spoke (i.e., needs to go away).
The frame is in good shape and I've switched out the fork (star nut stripped out on the stock fork). Front wheel is in good shape.

I'm thinking to turn the bike into a utility bike/hauler/beater with a front basket and rear double basket.

My thought right now is to finish the single-speed conversion by switching the rear wheel out for a coaster brake wheel. I would also remove the rear caliper brake.
Dropouts are slightly diagonal, but I might still have to use a half-link to get the chain length just right.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-30-17, 12:57 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
M60 looks like a MTB according to a quick search.
MTBs haven't had caliper brakes for ages.
So what bike is it?
Derailer gears hub have been mostly 130/135 mm for quite some time now.
Don't think I've seen a coaster brake that wide as stock.
You'll either have to compress the rear stays and align the dropouts, or widen the hub OLD with some spacers/washers - assuming the axle is long enough.
It's POSSIBLE to bend the chainstay when doing a coaster brake conversion. Not all frames can deal with the force from the reaction arm:
Old 08-30-17, 01:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
What's the axle width?
Old 08-30-17, 02:04 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Looks like an aluminum frame(?), so no bending (cold setting) of the chain stays. You'll need to add spacers to the hub. I've done this and it works perfectly well.

I'd suggest a Shimano CB-E110 hub. Inexpensive, reliable, durable, plenty of oomph and modulate well. Longer axles are available if needed.
Old 08-30-17, 02:35 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Should be 135mm (originally a 9 speed MTB). Aluminum frame, so thanks for the info on bending - that was what I had in mind. But spacers shouldn't be an issue.
This is just a beater I'm playing around with; I don't want to spend any real money on it so the plan is to find a decent used coaster cruiser and use that wheel.
My major concern is what dabac brought up - can an aluminum chainstay handle a coaster brake?
Old 08-31-17, 06:24 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neighbor had a Huffy cruiser laying around so he let me appropriate the rear wheel. Axle was just barely long enough and had enough axle washers laying around to use as spacers. The arm strap had to be finagled but got it on.
As far as I can tell, there is no undue stress on the chainstay. Brake works, nice smooth ride.
But for my purposes, it's a bust. I loaded up the rear baskets and tested the braking coming downhill. Too much skidding; using just the front brake and coaster brake made it feel like the rear wanted to lift up.
Seems like some rear weight would have prevented some of the skidding, but it seemed worse when the baskets were loaded.
Old 08-31-17, 04:06 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
Neighbor had a Huffy cruiser laying around so he let me appropriate the rear wheel. Axle was just barely long enough and had enough axle washers laying around to use as spacers. The arm strap had to be finagled but got it on.
As far as I can tell, there is no undue stress on the chainstay. Brake works, nice smooth ride.
But for my purposes, it's a bust. I loaded up the rear baskets and tested the braking coming downhill. Too much skidding; using just the front brake and coaster brake made it feel like the rear wanted to lift up.
Seems like some rear weight would have prevented some of the skidding, but it seemed worse when the baskets were loaded.
I don't know what kind of hub it is, but even the good ones will be "bitey" if under greased. If it's properly greased, a good hub will modulate just peachy.

Hmmmm. The bike doesn't have super short chain stays, so I'm a little surprised how easily it locks up the rear, especially with a load back there.

Ahhhh. When you changed the fork, did that drop the front end much?

What kind of tire and pressure are on the rear? Hard (cheap) rubber and high PSI will add a lot to the ability to skid.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 08-31-17 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 08:57 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I've done it with a couple of the Fuji folder mountain bikes. they're steel though. one is a single speed now. the other is a three speed with coaster brake.
Old 09-03-17, 02:59 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Forks are the same length (within a few millimeters).
Probably was the cheap tires, as well as too much air (poor problem solving from staying up late and drinking beer while experimenting on the bike).
I thought I would get back to it this weekend, but instead spend the time working on other bikes. I returned my neighbor's wheel, so now I will be looking for a replacement.