Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Yamaha Power Assist Electric Bicycles Are Coming to the U.S.

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Yamaha Power Assist Electric Bicycles Are Coming to the U.S.

Old 10-16-17, 07:17 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Your opinions are thoughtful and well expressed, although I really think you're preaching to the choir here. Most LCF riders are totally supportive of your opinions, whereas you might find disagreement from some recreational cyclists on the other subforums.
Thank you. You are likely right that what I write has been influenced by the attitudes I've seen expressed in some of the other subforms. Although sometimes it is not preaching to the choir but just preaching when the choir is present.
Old 11-06-17, 01:35 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think it'll be very strange when lycra clad bicycle warriors meet leather clad motorcycle warriors, at the showroom of a Yamaha dealership.
I don't have the figures, but it seems like motorcycles are a dying breed. Most of the people I see riding them are aging baby boomers, with very few young riders. Millennials don't seem to think that any vehicles are cool, whether cars, bicycles, or motorcycles. Around here anyways, they mostly travel by bus or skateboard.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-06-17, 11:13 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This looks like a supercool commuting beast

https://www.yamahabicycles.com/bikes/urbanrush/
Old 11-06-17, 01:23 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have the figures, but it seems like motorcycles are a dying breed. Most of the people I see riding them are aging baby boomers, with very few young riders. Millennials don't seem to think that any vehicles are cool, whether cars, bicycles, or motorcycles. Around here anyways, they mostly travel by bus or skateboard.
Number of riders is way off. 14% down just this year. Interestingly ridership is down for small bikes, which is where the largest number of motorcyclists have historically been. But ridership is up for big bikes - not by nearly as many riders but those bikes cost more too, so the revenue hit with the downslump is not as big.

Motorcycle sales suffering | MCN

Last edited by Walter S; 11-06-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 07:49 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Figures have shown that the biggest area affected by poor sales has been with low capacity machines under 125cc, which have taken the largest hit so far this year. Last month recorded a massive drop in sales by 32.2% for machines ranging between 51-125cc.

I'm guessing this includes all the small scooters. They exploded in this area about a decade ago. Might be there are more used machines on the market now which would cut sales of new units. New cycle registrations being down doesn't necessarily mean the overall number of riders is down that much. They may just no longer be buying new machines.
Old 11-07-17, 08:56 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
WTF do scooters and mopeds have to do with E-Bikes,... Not in the same category IMO...
Old 11-12-17, 01:16 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350htrr
WTF do scooters and mopeds have to do with E-Bikes,... Not in the same category IMO...
Go WAY back to post 27 and you *might* get it.
Old 11-12-17, 02:10 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...stay tuned. Some advantages and some obvious disadvantages, but it looks like this is happening regardless.

Yamaha Power Assist Electric Bicycles Are Coming to the U.S. - The Drive
Speak of the devil! I saw two Yamaha E-bikes from Giant at a local bike shop today.

I did not get to test ride it but they were nice! To my surprise, I was actually able to lift both wheels off the ground! Yes, it was that light so it's an improvement over the 70 pound e-bikes I've seen at another shop. If you remove the battery, I can see someone being able to carry this bike up a flight of stairs using two trips. One to carry the bike and then the battery.

I would still be cautious about buying new technology even from a name brand company like Yamaha. After all, this is a huge investment at 3.1K, I would hate to end up going back and forth to the bike shop for repairs. Personally, I would wait at least 3-4 years before buying a new Yamaha e-bike to see if they intend to stay in the business. The only thing I didn't like was the black color! LOL. Can someone please tell Trek and Giant that men want bikes other than grey and black??

This was the bike.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-quick-eplus

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 11-23-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-19-17, 09:43 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
...I've visited two of the larger bike shops locally in the last month. Mike's Bikes is the local Specialized dealership, and Specialized is selling all sorts of ginormous all terrain type e-bikes (NO REDUCED for holiday bargains !!!)

Performance is selling an e-bike version of their Fuji Sanibel beach cruiser.......not making this up. They're here, get used to it.
Old 11-20-17, 05:36 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Speak of the devil! I saw two Yamaha E-bikes from Giant at a local bike shop today.

I did not get to test ride it but they were nice! To my surprise, I was actually able to lift both wheels off the ground! Yes, it was that light so it's an improvement of the 70 pound e-bikes I've seen at another shop. If you remove the battery, I can see someone being able to carry this bike up a flight of stairs using two trips. One to carry the bike and then the battery.

I would still be cautious about buying new technology even from a name brand company like Yamaha. After all, this is a huge investment at 3.1K, I would hate to end up going back and forth to the bike shop for repairs. Personally, I would wait at least 3-4 years before buying a new Yamaha e-bike to see if they intend to stay in the business. The only thing I didn't like was the black color! LOL. Can someone please tell Trek and Giant that men want bikes other than grey and black??

This was the bike.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-quick-eplus
Name brands of E-Bikes have been around for years and years now, and they have it figured out... You do not need to worry about it being "new technology", I have had my BionX for 5 years and the wife has had hers for 3 years, I have had my bike in the shop once and was fixed under warranty, and the wife has never had her bike in the shop...
Old 11-20-17, 09:05 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
What advantage does the electric moped have over the gas powered one? I know gas powered motors will last 20,000 miles or more. How long will an electric go for?
Old 11-21-17, 06:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

What are the pros and cons of electric motors vs. internal combustion engines?
Old 11-21-17, 06:45 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
I get annoyed when they confidently state that electric engines produce no pollution. It's either lazy or deliberately deceitful.
Old 11-21-17, 07:52 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I get annoyed when they confidently state that electric engines produce no pollution. It's either lazy or deliberately deceitful.
I saw nothing deceitful in their statement.
Old 11-21-17, 08:25 PM
350htrr

I saw nothing deceitful in there either... But then the real world intrudes and... depending on where your electricity comes from, I have also read that it could take 7 years where an electric vehicle would break even compared to ICE... But hey, in the long term it almost certainly IS, less polluting... JMO But as far as E-Bikes are concerned , if you ride an E-Bike instead of driving a car we are ALL way ahead, not as far ahead as if everyone rode a "normal" bicycle, but still WWAAaayy ahead as a civilisation where everyone drove an ICE vehicle. JMO ...
Old 11-22-17, 06:50 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I saw nothing deceitful in their statement.
in the top rated answer the guy said an electric system produces no 'local' pollution. I didn't notice the word local, I guess, but even so, pollution from power plants does cover a wide area, so he may not be strictly correct.

Last edited by cooker; 11-22-17 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-23-17, 01:38 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
What advantage does the electric moped have over the gas powered one? I know gas powered motors will last 20,000 miles or more. How long will an electric go for?
Noise.

As for how long they will last, potentially an electric motor would last a LOT longer than an gas one. (Refrigerators and pumps will keep going almost forever with little maintenance.) But I don't know the particulars when it comes to mopeds or assist bikes.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-23-17, 10:11 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Name brands of E-Bikes have been around for years and years now, and they have it figured out... You do not need to worry about it being "new technology", I have had my BionX for 5 years and the wife has had hers for 3 years, I have had my bike in the shop once and was fixed under warranty, and the wife has never had her bike in the shop...
I trust BionX because they have been around for years. When it first came out, I used to hear complaints all the time as people struggled with failing controllers, batteries and hubs. It's totally different now because BionX figured out how to make a durable product. I don't trust Yamaha, YET!
Old 11-24-17, 01:18 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
An electric bike can implement a very smooth pedal assist that increases the torque applied by the rider so it feels natural. That’s not possible with a gas engine. Also, no regenerative braking with an engine.
Old 11-24-17, 10:18 AM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I trust BionX because they have been around for years. When it first came out, I used to hear complaints all the time as people struggled with failing controllers, batteries and hubs. It's totally different now because BionX figured out how to make a durable product. I don't trust Yamaha, YET!
https://www.yamahabicycles.com/the-yamaha-evolution/
Old 11-25-17, 11:23 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
I guess you thought I was disagreeing with you but I wasn't. I have no problem with e-bikes, as long as the riders are courteous and safe, as I mentioned earlier.

Your opinions are thoughtful and well expressed, although I really think you're preaching to the choir here. Most LCF riders are totally supportive of your opinions, whereas you might find disagreement from some recreational cyclists on the other subforums.
+1 roody, you're the cyclist!
Old 11-28-17, 12:04 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

in the top rated answer the guy said an electric system produces no 'local' pollution. I didn't notice the word local, I guess, but even so, pollution from power plants does cover a wide area, so he may not be strictly correct.
...point source pollution from IC engines is more difficult and expensive to control than that coming from central power sources. And there's no practical reason we can't generate considerably more electricity from renewables and cleaner sources.

I've had an electric car long enough to have heard all the false equivalence arguments against them, and insofar as I can tell, they are universally misinformed opinions, that take worst case scenarios from the past practices of electric power production and extrapolate from them to produce erroneous conclusions.
Old 11-28-17, 06:09 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...point source pollution from IC engines is more difficult and expensive to control than that coming from central power sources. And there's no practical reason we can't generate considerably more electricity from renewables and cleaner sources.

I've had an electric car long enough to have heard all the false equivalence arguments against them, and insofar as I can tell, they are universally misinformed opinions, that take worst case scenarios from the past practices of electric power production and extrapolate from them to produce erroneous conclusions.
Rural areas are bad places for electric vehicles, I can tell you that for certain. About once every 2-3 weeks we get one stranded at the remote hotel I work at. We get people frantic about the lack of charging stations much more than that, but we can sometimes accommodate them with an RV hookup if they let us know the night before.

It is more of an owner problem than vehicle problem though, I'll admit that. But if supercharger stations are 180 miles apart...maybe don't take a pair of 80 mile detours? When you were down 1/3 of a charge passing that first station?

Admittedly I'm not just in a rural area, I'm an area that's pretty undeveloped. 50 miles between gas stations, etc. And one of them doesn't even take credit cards at the pump-and the store is only open limited hours in tourist season. Etc.

Last edited by Sullalto; 11-28-17 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 01:07 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Can I assume if electric two wheel vehicles are 'OK' then so are electric three and four wheel vehicles?
Old 11-28-17, 04:23 PM
tiger style

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live ebikes are a menace. They are far and away the most dangerous vehicles on shared bike/pedestrian paths. I'm all for them as green transportation, but I think they need to be speed regulated. It's unnerving to have an ebike pass you silently at 25mph when you're on a bike. One swerve to miss a pothole and...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.