Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

Quick Survey for Engineering Students - Please Help!

Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 06:53 AM
Brunomoruno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys! Could you guys take a sec and answer this survey on bike locks? It should take around 30 seconds. It's for a high school engineering class I'm taking.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5JMN5P6

Last edited by Brunomoruno; 10-12-17 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 07:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Ten quick posts so you could post a link.
Old 10-10-17, 07:50 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Don't know how any of that will help engineering students, but have at my responses!
Old 10-10-17, 08:04 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Don't know how any of that will help engineering students, but have at my responses!
Are you an engineering student?
Old 10-10-17, 08:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Are you an engineering student?
I was at one point. I'm graduated and an engineer now.

The questions posed seemed more relevant to a business/marketing major, but as I said have at it, I hope it helps them.
Old 10-10-17, 08:20 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

The questions posed seemed more relevant to a business/marketing major, but as I said have at it, I hope it helps them.
I use engineering software and draw for a living but with no BS it's called designer.
Old 10-10-17, 02:27 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
The survey doesn't allow for sufficient conditions. In my case, one unlocked bike was stolen from my parents' unlocked garage when I was a kid. One bike was stolen when it was locked and chained to a solid stand. One bike was stolen from a locked locker in a locked basement, but the bike itself wasn't locked.
Old 10-10-17, 02:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Filled it out, but the survey was pointless and not relevant to engineering or design. Students need to review their surveys with instructors or mentors before posting these requests. Or at the very least ask that one student in your class who's always sarcastic and doesn't like anything you like. He/she will at least be honest about whether the survey is useful. Your buddies and families will lie and say "Yeah, looks great!"

Almost invariably the surveys are poorly designed and will not elicit useful data or information. Same thing with the hundreds of survey requests I've seen on various hobbyist sites. I've seen maybe two reasonably well designed surveys out of hundreds of requests.
Old 10-10-17, 02:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
You missed a key element, namely where one lives and rides, and the conditions where one would lock it up.

When I lived in NYC I needed a massive lock to keep the bike safe. U-locks didn't exist yet, so it was 2' o marine anchor chain and a big padlock. These were so heavy and annoying that a few friends and I bought 20 sets all keyed alike, and spread them around in key locations so we could find a lock where we needed it.

Nowadays, I live in the burbs and can generally get by with a relatively light duty cable.

So, while I answered that I was satisfied in the level of security, it was deceiving, because my needs were low.

As an engineering student, the most valuable lesson you'll learn is that you have to ask good questions in order to get meaningful answers.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-10-17, 04:56 PM
Brunomoruno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Filled it out, but the survey was pointless and not relevant to engineering or design. Students need to review their surveys with instructors or mentors before posting these requests. Or at the very least ask that one student in your class who's always sarcastic and doesn't like anything you like. He/she will at least be honest about whether the survey is useful. Your buddies and families will lie and say "Yeah, looks great!"

Almost invariably the surveys are poorly designed and will not elicit useful data or information. Same thing with the hundreds of survey requests I've seen on various hobbyist sites. I've seen maybe two reasonably well designed surveys out of hundreds of requests.
Sir, thanks for taking my survey and your comment. However, I did not tell you what the purpose of my survey was. But I can assure you that your response has provided me with quite useful data and information.
Old 10-10-17, 05:00 PM
Brunomoruno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You missed a key element, namely where one lives and rides, and the conditions where one would lock it up.

When I lived in NYC I needed a massive lock to keep the bike safe. U-locks didn't exist yet, so it was 2' o marine anchor chain and a big padlock. These were so heavy and annoying that a few friends and I bought 20 sets all keyed alike, and spread them around in key locations so we could find a lock where we needed it.

Nowadays, I live in the burbs and can generally get by with a relatively light duty cable.

So, while I answered that I was satisfied in the level of security, it was deceiving, because my needs were low.

As an engineering student, the most valuable lesson you'll learn is that you have to ask good questions in order to get meaningful answers.
Thanks for your insights! This survey is the first survey my group and I are doing for a product we are thinking of designing, and it is intended to figure out whether there is a target market for our product. We will definitely create better surveys in the future once we figure out whether we are going to take on this project, and we'll ask about location and conditions. Thanks!
Old 10-10-17, 05:02 PM
Brunomoruno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ten quick posts so you could post a link.
ya gotta do whatcha gotta do
Old 10-10-17, 05:48 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by Brunomoruno
ya gotta do whatcha gotta do
We have moved your Survey thread to the Survey forum.
Old 10-10-17, 05:50 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I filled it out. I kinda figured that you either knew what you were doing or you were gonna learn from it because well, you know, you're a student and all. Just sayin'
Old 10-10-17, 05:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
We have moved your Survey thread to the Survey forum.
yep, the Mods do what they gotta do too.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-10-17, 06:23 PM
Brunomoruno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's true! Right now we are trying to find out whether a market exists for this product that we are thinking of making, and this survey helps us do that.
Old 10-10-17, 09:49 PM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brunomoruno
That's true! Right now we are trying to find out whether a market exists for this product that we are thinking of making, and this survey helps us do that.
Un-expert criticism aside, I liked how short and easy the survey was. Not hard at all.