Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Strava Thread

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Strava Thread

Old 06-18-18, 11:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
That's why the only way to really race is in an actual race. Virtual racing is nonsense and rife with cheating. Although, now that I think about it, real racing is as well.
Yeah, that's the rub, innit? Is drafting a city bus for 2 blocks a greater or lesser infraction than blood doping? I have to kind of think it's not as bad. But there is all manner of less-than-honest behavior going on in pretty much any competitive activity.

I was talking with my wife about this very topic out on a ride this past weekend, after a 17-year-old member of the local Juniors racing team took one of my KOMs. She said, "Just get hopped up on drugs. It's not real racing. There's no one to answer to." She said it jokingly, and it is funny... but she's also not wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of doped riders on Strava, both chemically and mechanically. How long until we see the first Zwift doping scandal?
Old 06-18-18, 12:46 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
How long until we see the first Zwift doping scandal?
We already have with Tom Danielson going out and crushing a ton of KOMs the week after he was sanctioned. For the second time...

And Strava said no-go to flagging his rides with a "convicted doper" reason. I tried it a few times.
Old 06-18-18, 02:45 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
At some point Strava is going to have to de emphasize KOM's and find other carrots to make it more appealing. People complained about it years ago, but I think Age Group and Yearly KOM's should have their own status, with the caveat the first 1-3 months of each year aren't highlighted. That way it prevents those rides on the first where you're flooded with icons.
Old 06-18-18, 04:36 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Yeah, that's the rub, innit? Is drafting a city bus for 2 blocks a greater or lesser infraction than blood doping? I have to kind of think it's not as bad. But there is all manner of less-than-honest behavior going on in pretty much any competitive activity.

I was talking with my wife about this very topic out on a ride this past weekend, after a 17-year-old member of the local Juniors racing team took one of my KOMs. She said, "Just get hopped up on drugs. It's not real racing. There's no one to answer to." She said it jokingly, and it is funny... but she's also not wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of doped riders on Strava, both chemically and mechanically. How long until we see the first Zwift doping scandal?
Yeah, spend enough time in sports (or even video games, for that matter) and you will see there are all sorts of scumbags and losers out there that would sell out their own mothers in order to get a "win." At least some of the skill sports are a little better on the amateur level, because doping alone isn't enough to overcome other deficiencies. And then I guess you have stuff like car and motorcycle racing, if you consider that a sport.
Old 06-18-18, 07:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
We already have with Tom Danielson going out and crushing a ton of KOMs the week after he was sanctioned. For the second time...

And Strava said no-go to flagging his rides with a "convicted doper" reason. I tried it a few times.

Yeah, but I more specifically mean Zwift-- where people have actually found a way to make money:

"The winner in Flanders, 27-year-old Dutch racer Anna van der Breggen, took home $1,415. The winner of the CVR Zwift World Cup, Carey Conabeare, a 42-year-old professional gardener from the UK, pocketed a cool $7,800."
Old 06-19-18, 04:43 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, but I more specifically mean Zwift-- where people have actually found a way to make money:

"The winner in Flanders, 27-year-old Dutch racer Anna van der Breggen, took home $1,415. The winner of the CVR Zwift World Cup, Carey Conabeare, a 42-year-old professional gardener from the UK, pocketed a cool $7,800."
This is one thing I never understood - the notion that amateur racers are in it for the prize money - it's laughable. Now, $7,800 is a lot more than gets handed to winners at any of the little local races I've ever been to (where 1st prize is hardly more than the entry fee), but it's still nominal when you think of the cost and trouble it takes to win it. But what do I know? Maybe just the idea of a money prize is enough to make some people do crazy things.
Old 06-19-18, 07:42 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Guys here will claw each other's eyes out over a slice of pizza on a prime lap that they won't even eat because they're on a diet. It's not really about the prize money lol
Old 06-19-18, 09:21 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by kbarch
This is one thing I never understood - the notion that amateur racers are in it for the prize money - it's laughable. Now, $7,800 is a lot more than gets handed to winners at any of the little local races I've ever been to (where 1st prize is hardly more than the entry fee), but it's still nominal when you think of the cost and trouble it takes to win it. But what do I know? Maybe just the idea of a money prize is enough to make some people do crazy things.

The two women in the example are a world-class professional racer, winning $1400 at the Tour of Flanders, and a gardener from the UK who won $7800 for riding without moving. Amateur racers might not be in it for the money or the acclaim (as there is none of either to be had) but this is professional gaming mixed with exercise. People are absolutely going to find a way to cheat.
Old 06-19-18, 03:35 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The two women in the example are a world-class professional racer, winning $1400 at the Tour of Flanders, and a gardener from the UK who won $7800 for riding without moving. Amateur racers might not be in it for the money or the acclaim (as there is none of either to be had) but this is professional gaming mixed with exercise. People are absolutely going to find a way to cheat.
My first Smart Trainer read about 20 watts higher than it should and I crushed it in Zwift Racing. I was top 5 in a 200 person race, and usually got on the podium in others. It was a small enough discrepancy and my form was good enough that I wasn't sure; but after testing them side by side its was consistently 18 watts higher. Now I have a Neo that's about 10 watts lower than my power meter.

Zwift Racing is fun, but I was far from the only guy with a inaccurate PM, and about half the server lies about their weight (tbf I'm 140 in Zwift, 144 irl). Some PM companies (cough Stages) I just don't trust outright. Many have a bad pm every once in awhile. My teammate does close to 400 @ 5.6 w/kg in our Worlds Climb, and I drop him at 300 @ 4.6. Swears up and down his PM is dead accurate.
Old 06-19-18, 04:19 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I was talking about Strava with one of the guys at my LBS, he a very KOM-centric sort of roadie guy. One of the only things we share in common is regularly losing leaderboard positions to 17-year-old kids that ride for the California Juniors teams. Whaddaya gonna do, right? Anyhow, his summation of Strava goes something like this: "Strava hasn't even been around 10 years, and you'll see most of the local KOMs are all weather based. Some guy gets the lucky tailwind, or better, has a paceline to pull him into that tailwind. If you expanded it out over time-- say 100 years into the future-- every Strava KOM will be unattainable. Because it will be held by a guy that had a leadout man and a 30mph tailwind."

Doesn't help that we have an annual bike race here, so any segment in the road course, or on any of the road between the event stages and the houses the teams stay at, the top 200-300 positions on the leaderboards are just clogged with pro times. So I lean into it. I routinely play leadout man for my wife-- I take her into segments and break the air for her. She's got something like 70 QOMs.
This is only a "problem" for the select few who can conceivably attain a KOM on a popular segment in the first place.

I'm not one of them, and thus I can use Strava without getting worked up about KOM cheating. The only metric I really care about for myself is power, and I can use that as a measuring stick to gauge my progress and compare my efforts to others on the same day/week.
Old 06-19-18, 05:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Some PM companies (cough Stages) I just don't trust outright. Many have a bad pm every once in awhile. My teammate does close to 400 @ 5.6 w/kg in our Worlds Climb, and I drop him at 300 @ 4.6. Swears up and down his PM is dead accurate.
When I replaced my Stages with a power2max Type S, my FTP abruptly dropped by around 40W. Initially disheartening to be sure. I think I'm over it now. Also, no more random spikes to 2,000W. Sad.

Originally Posted by colombo357
This is only a "problem" for the select few who can conceivably attain a KOM on a popular segment in the first place.

I'm not one of them, and thus I can use Strava without getting worked up about KOM cheating. The only metric I really care about for myself is power, and I can use that as a measuring stick to gauge my progress and compare my efforts to others on the same day/week.
That's the wonder of a KOM. It means nothing, it gets you nothing... but once you have one, you want more, and you don't want to let them go.
Old 06-19-18, 09:45 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
meh. once you realize there's always someone faster than you (even with your 30 mph tailwind assist), the dream dies quickly.
the motivation is different for all. whatever gets you out there and keeps you coming back for more. if it's the kom's, so be it.
Old 06-21-18, 04:35 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Strava Drama
Old 06-24-18, 09:13 PM
roadcurious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
At some point Strava is going to have to de emphasize KOM's and find other carrots to make it more appealing. People complained about it years ago, but I think Age Group and Yearly KOM's should have their own status, with the caveat the first 1-3 months of each year aren't highlighted. That way it prevents those rides on the first where you're flooded with icons.
Yeah I agree they need to add something in between PR and KOM. Like rolling 7 day leaders. Would be fun if you could compete socially as a beginner/intermediate.

Old 06-25-18, 06:11 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadcurious

Yeah I agree they need to add something in between PR and KOM. Like rolling 7 day leaders. Would be fun if you could compete socially as a beginner/intermediate.

I agree - rolling 7-day and 12-month leaders make more sense, and it might be cool if one could keep a record of those achievements.

VeloViewer (which uses Strava data) has a Rivals feature (people who have ridden a lot of the same segments with similar times as ones own) but participation is spotty, that is, not everyone who's on Strava is on VV, and many who joined have quit using it/updating it.
Old 08-06-18, 10:44 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Question for you smart, tech-savvy Strava users: I got an email from Strava saying that someone had responded to an invitation I (supposedly) sent them from Strava. They're using a generic handle on Strava, so I have no idea who this is, but they requested to follow me. Is there some way I can find out who I invited over the years? I looked around, searched, but came up with nothing. Their profile on Strava is totally empty, no name, no riding, no nothing.