Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Outbound Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 08:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
This looks promising. I'm not in the market for a headlight, but I'm watching with interest. I think you might be filling an unfilled niche.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-18, 11:05 AM
Outbound 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This looks promising. I'm not in the market for a headlight, but I'm watching with interest. I think you might be filling an unfilled niche.
Thanks for the kind words!

Starting to get some reviews from third party people who are doing some more testing for us. I am personally super busy between trying to get the company off the ground and the birth of my first kid that I haven't had the time to go hit the trails as much as I wanted, so have given some early protos to some people who can give me an honest review and do some good durability testing.

I have been Very Fortunate to get my hands on Outbound Lighting NEW Game Changing Lighting System! Their system will cause a Major Wave in the lighting world.

So I was handed Prototype. The light has 1x4 chip and was told it produced 1100 lumen. Production will be a 1x5 chip, so it will be about 500 lumens brighter and wider than what I have now.

The light I normally ride with is a L&M 2000 Lumen, and a 450 on my helmet. My existing setup is Bright.

OUTBOUND LIGHTING's system was only 1100 lumen total only bar mount.

Here is where the Tidal Wave comes in! Their system throws light out in front of you and lays it down like Carpet. It covered side to side, from thr front of tire to my line of sight. I like wearing a light on my helmet so that I have the light on the corners before the bar mounted light comes around. Not going to say you would never want a helmet mounted light, but I will say that I couldn't tell I was missing one! The light beam is so wide it is looking into the corners before you are! Even with less lumen than I normally ride, the placement of the light makes up for it. The light seemed to produce more light than advertised cause of where the light was at. Instead of a Big Spot light that is concentrated on one location, this light covers your Whole riding area.

Save your money and just buy 1 Outbound Light!

Battery case is a non-slip material which was great

I am Not a professional reviewer or picture taker nor get paid for this endorsement. Although I did sleep in my own bed last night. NOT at Holiday Inn, but I hope this helps if you were on the edge of purchasing one of these new lights!
Did get some pics though the other night, thought it'd be neat to hit the local quick loop with my buddy and see how things were progressing.

This is a shot of the single trail light, in prototype board still, outputting about 1100 lumens (or what will be "medium" on the final version). No lens on this that'll further increase the width, and soften the falloff significantly.

This is with both a helmet mount (trail reflector) and the bar mount (also trail reflector). Total combined lumen about 2200.

Some fun shots:

Old 01-22-18, 02:43 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I AM on the market for a new bike light, but sadly not for myself. This will be quite an upgrade for my wife, replacing her old MJ-808. Amazingly the old Geomangear battery packs are still going, and we'll probably play with running the MS helmet mounted on low, not for illumination as much as getting the attention of drivers at intersections etc..

I will definitely be borrowing it for some night rides as well, but she's the one commuting daily and riding early on weekends. I'm excited to get my hands on this light and find out if everything we've heard about it is true. If so, it will be hard to consider anything else for a while.

-Jeremy
Old 04-26-18, 08:42 PM
Outbound 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been a long time, but we are still here! Our final step before production is complete early next month when the PCBA's will be manufactured in Kansas City. We'll be traveling up there to watch the boards getting populated and tested. Very excited for that. Then it's assembly time in-house! All the orders for the kickstarter backers will go out first, then pre-orders, then we'll be officially open for direct sales off our website.

We still have 15% off for pre-order customers until we are in stock and shipping. Here are some updated product shots.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/store/

Old 05-31-18, 09:48 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of their updates are posted over at MTBR, but for anyone here who's been watching and wondering about these lights, pre-order discount is ending tomorrow night (Friday, June 1st).

For those of us who pre-ordered some time ago, this is exciting news because it means they're planning to ship units soon.

-Jeremy
Old 06-15-18, 02:32 PM
Outbound 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just letting you guys know that we have shipped all pre-orders and are shipping now for immediate delivery! Fully in business!

Some praise so far from our friends in the MTBR forums:

I rode around my condo's field and wow, what a difference from a NightRider Lumina, I guess I never realized just how intense that light's center beam is. Initially I thought the new light's beam was a bit vertically short, but I was using it in a field, which means I had no nearby trees, so it's probably not an at all fair comparison to normal riding. I am hoping to try it out tomorrow on normal trails. The build quality looks to be fantastic, great job!
I also agree on the build quality...fit and finish look fantastic. I threw the road-version onto my bike this evening and the high cut-off looks very precise. If the weather holds, I may be commuting early tomorrow morning and can pass on a better impression of the beam (I anticipate using only the low or medium output). 24h race next weekend will put the MTB lamp to the test. So far, impressed with the packaging, controls, and beam patterns. *Note* my night riding over the past few years has been using a cheap Chinese LED, usually running on medium (~800 lumens, claimed), which has been perfectly adequate for road and riding trails at Pisgah...so, it won't take much to improve on this. But the lens and reflector on the OL lamps are a work of art. Clearly the difference between 'engineered with a purpose', compared to the 'repurposed flashlight' I've been running.

Great job, guys! This is going to be the best Xmas in June I've had yet!!!

[Update]
First commute on the road lamp this morning. As noted above, the high cut-off on the road lamp is very distinct. The distribution of light is smooth and wide with no hot-spots, no major roll-off low or on the sides; much more even than my cars' headlights.

The rubber strap-mount also allows the light to be pivoted downward quickly if you're riding with the cut-off too high as oncoming traffic approaches. Otherwise, I had no issues with oncoming drivers flashing their brights at me.

I rode the 30-mile commute using the med-low setting. The light intensity at this setting is similar to my old light's low setting (it had a claimed 1600 lumen and 800 lumen setting...the lower 800 lumen setting is what I always used, road or MTB). At around 90 minutes, the battery indicator showed 80% remaining on my 6200mAh pack (I am running non-OL batteries, since I had several Magic Shine/Panasonic and GloWorm packs prior to purchasing the lights). Although I don't know yet if the battery indicator responds linearly, I suppose this is what I expect (~6 hours at this setting). I'll throw the ammeter on it early next week to look at the current on the different settings; if it's drawing .7-.8 amps on the med-low setting, it'll hit my targets for battery life. The light also ran very cool, but again I wasn't pushing it.

Overall, very pleased with the road lamp. Looking forward to using the MTB lamp next weekend!
Can get it online at www.outboundlighting.com!