Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cleats!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 10:26 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Cleats!

I tried SPD-SL shoes and didn't like them. Before I moved those shoes on I tried mounting SPD cleats, which I took from my old shoes. When I returned the SPD cleats to the old shoes I didn't use thread blocker and lucky me, I lost a cleat. My bad but in Ontario I had to pay $24 for a pair of new cleats (can't buy just one).

I often see cheap used pedals (and shoes) that come with cleats, every new pair I've got came with spare cleats, so much so that I have given them away. Now, when I needed a set, no free ones or cheap ones to be had.

Recently I had ordered a back up pair from China I saw on eBay but surprise, they don't fit.

Knock off on left Shimano on right

Now that I have been punished for not using thread blocker and for not having a real back up pair I want to have several real pairs for back up. I just think $24 is a ridiculous price to pay for cleats.

Does anyone have a cheap source for road cleats? I see them for about $8 US on Ebay but am leery now of knock offs on eBay....
Old 07-30-18, 11:49 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Ouch

The smaller cleat might work, but it could wreck havoc on pedal adjustments, especially if you have a couple of different shoes that you use.

Actually, that cleat is missing enough features like the shoulders that kick the cleats out of the pedals that you should be able to recognize them, and avoid them. Could they have been brand specific such as MKS MM Cube cleats that are supposed to be similar to Shimano, but not quite?

Some Bike Co-ops will have spare cleats.
I've also purchased a pair of used shoes that didn't fit at a thrift store just to snag the cleats. I should throw them up on E-Bay (without the cleats) for a profit.
Old 07-30-18, 12:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wellgo is similar, but not an exact copy of Shimano's cleats..

they may be made like the not the same cleat ..

so there you go.. 'Spud' but not SPD.