Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Having a Trailer Can Make a World of Difference

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 02-18-18, 05:11 PM
BikeAlmanac
BikeAlmanac

Bikes: several!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of the time, you won't need a trailer. When you do, it is a wonderful accessory! And remember, the cost of occasionally renting a pickup truck is way less than owning one!
Old 02-18-18, 08:28 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
The only reason I don't want a trailer is I am concerned with a car hitting it.
As for the plusses like you suggest there are many. I am sure to discover more once I have one.
Old 02-18-18, 11:26 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
The only reason I don't want a trailer is I am concerned with a car hitting it.
You planning on hauling extension ladders and fence rails? If someone hits my trailer, they're way too close to the bike in the first place.
Old 02-19-18, 12:50 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
You planning on hauling extension ladders and fence rails? If someone hits my trailer, they're way too close to the bike in the first place.
I've done both and even used an extension ladder as a trailer (just tie it onto a rack and get some wheels, even a hand-truck can do the trick).

I do enjoy my trailers. One of them was initially made at a local organization that runs a lot of small businesses to help get troubled youth back on track. The original purchaser changed his mind after they were mostly done fabricating it, so my neighbor and I went halves. It's big enough that I hauled a five-foot long freezer home from the store on it and, while only rated to 500 pounds, I've loaded much more without disaster. In fact, I rarely see anyone at Costco drive away in an SUV with a load bigger than I put on my trailer.

My other trailer was a gift from a different neighbor. I had the cover replaced (the manufacturer is about 60 miles away and he sews the covers himself). When it's dumping rain/hail/sleet, my wife brings it along with us to pick up the grandchildren from pre-school. We make them ride the first mile on the tandem-plus-trailerbike, and then they can snuggle into the warm dry trailer for the last three miles home.
Old 02-19-18, 11:46 AM
PdalPowr

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I've done both and even used an extension ladder as a trailer (just tie it onto a rack and get some wheels, even a hand-truck can do the trick).

I do enjoy my trailers. One of them was initially made at a local organization that runs a lot of small businesses to help get troubled youth back on track. The original purchaser changed his mind after they were mostly done fabricating it, so my neighbor and I went halves. It's big enough that I hauled a five-foot long freezer home from the store on it and, while only rated to 500 pounds, I've loaded much more without disaster. In fact, I rarely see anyone at Costco drive away in an SUV with a load bigger than I put on my trailer.

My other trailer was a gift from a different neighbor. I had the cover replaced (the manufacturer is about 60 miles away and he sews the covers himself). When it's dumping rain/hail/sleet, my wife brings it along with us to pick up the grandchildren from pre-school. We make them ride the first mile on the tandem-plus-trailerbike, and then they can snuggle into the warm dry trailer for the last three miles home.

It sounds like you are living the good life my friend.
Old 02-19-18, 03:43 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeAlmanac
Most of the time, you won't need a trailer. When you do, it is a wonderful accessory! And remember, the cost of occasionally renting a pickup truck is way less than owning one!
And once you have one you can do stuff like buy a 12 pack of tissue paper, big laundry detergent, soda water, etc. without any elaborate or impossibly difficult packing.
Old 02-21-18, 06:37 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
And once you have one you can do stuff like buy a 12 pack of tissue paper, big laundry detergent, soda water, etc. without any elaborate or impossibly difficult packing.
12 pack? I fit a 36 pack on top of the bag of my Apex single wheel after filling up the bag and two of my four panniers with 2L sodas that were also on sale.

All those side pockets on panniers and trailer bags are for bungee cords. Always carry at least a couple.
Old 02-21-18, 07:58 PM
BikeAlmanac
BikeAlmanac

Bikes: several!

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Packing the Groceries

Originally Posted by Walter S
Ah, good point. It is also less risky. I think most bicyclists remember a time when they tried to carry too much. I still have a small scar from the time I tried to carry a 6-foot (2-meter) unicycle in one hand while riding with the other
Old 02-21-18, 11:57 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
This thread would be much better if there were pics of what you were carrying in/on your trailers.
Old 02-22-18, 08:44 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
This thread would be much better if there were pics of what you were carrying in/on your trailers.
Returning boxes and bags of deposit bottles to recycle point; load of filled soda pop bottles; load of old electronic equipment to take to Goodwill:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LoadedTrailer2.JPG (790.1 KB, 106 views)
2015-11-14 003 half size.jpg (1.10 MB, 106 views)
Old 02-22-18, 08:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I still have a small scar from the time I tried to carry a 6-foot (2-meter) unicycle in one hand while riding with the other
Should have ridden the unicycle and carried the bike.
Old 02-22-18, 09:35 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Returning boxes and bags of deposit bottles to recycle point; load of filled soda pop bottles; load of old electronic equipment to take to Goodwill:
Nice.

With the hitch that connects to your back wheel's axel/QR, does it put any extra strain on your spokes?

I have a dim memory of reading how some trailers manage to stuff up people's spokes on their rear wheel.
Old 02-22-18, 12:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Nice.

With the hitch that connects to your back wheel's axel/QR, does it put any extra strain on your spokes?

I have a dim memory of reading how some trailers manage to stuff up people's spokes on their rear wheel.
The bike is an indestructible Chicago built Schwinn Varsity, at least 40 years old. Haven't broken a spoke on it yet in the 10 years I've used it for hauling purposes.

Actually the hitch is attached to the bike frame just ahead of the rear axle.
Attached Images
2015-11-14 003 half size.jpg (864.6 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-22-18 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 01:59 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The bike is an indestructible Chicago built Schwinn Varsity, at least 40 years old. Haven't broken a spoke on it yet in the 10 years I've used it for hauling purposes.

Actually the hitch is attached to the bike frame just ahead of the rear axle.
It looks almost as sturdy as this one:

Here's another configuration that might suit you:
Old 02-22-18, 02:08 PM
tandempower

I wonder if these people are more excited by the cargo bike or the coffee.
Old 02-22-18, 05:00 PM
PdalPowr

Ah, good point. It is also less risky. I think most bicyclists remember a time when they tried to carry too much. I still have a small scar from the time I tried to carry a 6-foot (2-meter) unicycle in one hand while riding with the other
Silly,you should have ridden the unicycle.
That way you could use both hands to carry the bicycle.
Old 02-23-18, 02:42 AM
Saale

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heard that trailers tend to affect handling as opposed to a purpose designed cargo bike, and that a cargo bike is preferable for frequent use. What's the verdict on that? More noticable with side mounts or with post mounts? It seems that post mounts are more common around here because you can use them as hand carts when detached, and a lot of them do in fact come with handles. What's your opinion?
Attached Images
srpthumb-p547-4000x4000-no.jpg (16.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-23-18, 10:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Saale
Heard that trailers tend to affect handling as opposed to a purpose designed cargo bike, and that a cargo bike is preferable for frequent use. What's the verdict on that?
"Heard" it where?

You can "hear" anything on the Internet about the verdict on what is "best" or "preferable" on every side of every subject.
Old 02-23-18, 10:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Where a person heard a thing is irrelevant in this case. he is asking people here if they prefer center- or chain stay mounts for trailers. A I am sure when he asks for opinion he expects to get opinions. I am pretty sure he didn't think there was a legal case win which it was determined which was considered better.

I am pretty sure, since he is on the internet, that he expected snark and smart-mouthed responses.

In this case it was you, but it could have been me.

Funny, though, when you call me out for making just such posts.

To the OP: Most trailers seem to be side-mount, but I would prefer center-mount because of OCD. And any trailer like any load will change the way the bike handles, but you would adapt.

Problem with a cargo bike is that it Never would handle well. A normal bike without a trailer is a bike. A cargo bike is a truck, by comparison. The whole idea behind a trailer is augmenting a bike's utility ... it can be a bike, a bike with racks and panniers, or a bike hauling a trailer, all in one.
Old 02-23-18, 11:09 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Where a person heard a thing is irrelevant in this case. he is asking people here if they prefer center- or chain stay mounts for trailers. A I am sure when he asks for opinion he expects to get opinions. I am pretty sure he didn't think there was a legal case win which it was determined which was considered better.
I suspect that a person asking for a "verdict" is asking for the the one and only true answer to his question, and not an opinion with a bunch of qualifiers.
Old 02-23-18, 11:17 AM
Maelochs

There you go with your imagination again.
Old 02-25-18, 10:03 AM
tandempower

This trailer is 40" wide, uses 12" tires, and has leaf springs and is rated to @1000lbs. I was thinking about getting an adult tricycle and installing a trailer hitch/ball that would fit this trailer. The biggest problem I can think of would be overstressing the brakes on the trike and/or the drive train.

Has anyone tried using an adult trike to tow heavy loads/trailers like this one built for cars?

Old 02-25-18, 11:41 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I use a Burley Travoy and pull it with a 16" wheeled folding Bike Friday. Works great. For shopping, the travoy folds on the bottom rack of the shopping cart and the bike folds into the shopping cart. I hang the travoy bags off the cart on the outside and fill them up. Usually get about 2 weeks of groceries in one run. The Travoy tracks incredibly well with the bike; I often look back to make sure it is still there, lol.