Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Marin and Performance bike Scammed Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 08:50 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Linberl, I was the first one to respond to the op and that was his reply to me. Maybe that has a lot to do with why I said what I did.
I understand but I also get his frustration as well. He doesn't know how it happened, he believes no one touched it at his work, that it wasn't there before his ride, and he didn't do anything to cause it. If it didn't come that way from the shop, then it clearly isn't their fault. Whether it's a manufacturing defect or not - damned if I know. But as humans we all have a need to find reasons to explain stuff...

He didn't say anything nasty to you in his comments so that's why I felt your response was a bit over the top. His comments were directed to General Venting ;-)
Old 03-10-18, 09:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Whether it's a manufacturing defect or not - damned if I know. But as humans we all have a need to find reasons to explain stuff...
For decades, the high-end bikes have been made with really thin tubing. They may look solid, but it doesn't take much of a whack to dent them. Still, it doesn't just happen with ordinary every day riding. And the demand for light bikes will maintain the demand for thin tubes.

The problem here is that the OP discovered a dent in his bike. And, it is a pretty significant dent. He doesn't remember denting it. So the next step is to remember when it was last seen without the dent.

It is possible the dent occurred while riding. Gunshot, rock kicked up by a car, etc... but unlikely. And one would think someone would notice if one's bike is hit by a rock or something.

So, the next option is that the dent happened prior to the last ride, and the OP just noticed it after the ride. Yes, the OP says he did a cleaning or cursory inspection, but it is easy to miss something that one isn't expecting.

So, the most likely thing that happened was that the bike fell over on something prior to the last ride.

Perhaps a co-worker accidentally knocked the bike over, and picked it up without thinking anything more of it, but the fated dent was there, unnoticed.
Old 03-10-18, 09:40 PM
linberl

"Immaculate indentation".
Likes For linberl:
Old 03-11-18, 09:14 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
What I got from the post is the OP does not know how it happened and he's just reaching for an answer to explain something he personally did not cause.
Nothing wrong with that. But until he finds the answer, shouldn't he refrain from placing blame on the shop and manufacturer. Shouldn't he refrain from publicly calling them scammers and evil doers, since he has no explanation for the dent?
Old 03-11-18, 09:37 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Nothing wrong with that. But until he finds the answer, shouldn't he refrain from placing blame on the shop and manufacturer. Shouldn't he refrain from publicly calling them scammers and evil doers, since he has no explanation for the dent?
He thought he had figured out an answer. Right or wrong, that is what he thought. he based it on the answer he arrived at, it kind of makes sense (setting aside whether the answer was correct or not).
Old 03-11-18, 10:19 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

He thought he had figured out an answer. Right or wrong, that is what he thought. he based it on the answer he arrived at, it kind of makes sense (setting aside whether the answer was correct or not).

No, he didn't. Read his post again. And his later posts. He is emphatic in saying that the vacuum idea was just a random possibility, not a claim of fact, and that he does not actually know what caused it.

He repeats, numerous times, that he does not know what caused it.

Since he doesn't know what did cause it, how can he know it's Performance or Marin's fault?

If he took the bike to some laboratory and had it inspected and the verdict was that it was a freak anomaly caused by defective tubing or construction methods, then sure, he should voice his unhappiness.

But the fact of the matter is that currently, he has no understanding, let alone evidence, that the dent is a "Defect".

He's using a faulty process of elimination to conclude that it's a defect. He knows that he did not dent the tube. Fine. He didn't. Knowing that he didn't dent the tube, he jumps directly to "The tube dented itself".

1. He's calling Marin and Performance "Scammers"
2. He's calling Performance lazy an "useless". Performance inspected the bike, took photos, and submitted a claim for him. Within 24 hours. They did their job.
3. He's claiming that Marin makes and sells "Bull**** self imploding products".
4. He claims that the Marin Vincenza is a "Faulty bike".

He has no evidence to make such bold and slanderous claims.
Old 03-11-18, 10:25 AM
linberl

No, he didn't. Read his post again. And his later posts. He is emphatic in saying that the vacuum idea was just a random possibility, not a claim of fact, and that he does not actually know what caused it.

Since he doesn't know what did cause it, how can he know it's Performance or Marin's fault?

If he took the bike to some laboratory and had it inspected and the verdict was that it was a freak anomaly caused by defective tubing or construction methods, then sure, he should voice his unhappiness.

But the fact of the matter is that currently, he has no understanding, let alone evidence, that the dent is a "Defect".

He's using a faulty process of elimination to conclude that it's a defect. He knows that he did not dent the tube. Fine. He didn't. Knowing that he didn't dent the tube, he jumps directly to "The tube dented itself".

2. He's calling Performance lazy an "useless". Performance inspected the bike, took photos, and submitted a claim for him. Within 24 hours. They did their job.

I guess I didn't take his comments quite so literally, more of a rant/vent than accusation. Btw it would be libel not slander, since it was in print, just fyi. I definitely see your point, but I just consider it part of an over the top human reaction rather than an egregious accusation. That said, I never intended to defend the OP - I just reacted to someone wishing him financial harm.
Old 03-11-18, 10:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I guess I didn't take his comments quite so literally, more of a rant/vent than accusation. Btw it would be libel not slander, since it was in print, just fyi. I definitely see your point, but I just consider it part of an over the top human reaction rather than an egregious accusation. That said, I never intended to defend the OP - I just reacted to someone wishing him financial harm.
I guess I just take it so literally because he's not just throwing around a bunch of colorful adjectives to describe his own anger, disappointment and frustration. Which would be fine. It's the accusatory tone coupled with the specific and detailed (misplaced in the case of Performance) blame. He seems unwilling to consider any possible cause other than defect.

I responded to your post, partially because of your comment about no need to be mean, which I agree with. I see the OPs rant as very mean spirited with intent to harm.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 03-11-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-11-18, 10:59 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Impact or not, if it was so light that OP didn't notice it maybe there is some cause for concern about the structural integrity of the frame to begin with. Say, you bumped it somehow, normal use and not hard, and it caused a dent in a weak spot.

I don't see how Marin could warranty it, because it does appear to be an impact dent, unless it came to you that way and you never noticed until Wendy's. It's possible ...
Old 03-11-18, 11:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts

Precisely. Hence my comment (snark intended) that he is obviously not a scientist. A particular college degree does not make one a scientist; consistent use of the scientific method does make one a scientist. And the scientific method requires more than just a hypothesis - it also requires testing and evidence.
Old 03-11-18, 11:34 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I have almost the same dent in my Surly LHT.

It fell against a corner of a cabinet.

A little ice and a hair dryer reduced it by 75%.

I think someone knocked your bike over at work.
Old 03-11-18, 11:53 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
This is all wallyworlds fault. I believe you could saw a frame in two and return it for full refund with no questions asked there and similar big box stores by just by screaming "DEFECTIVE!" The popular practice of transmitting defamatory and false statements against what seem to me to be very reasonable manufacturer and retailer polices is just begging for snark IMHO.
Carry on!
Old 03-11-18, 02:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
OP hasn't been back in awhile and I expect by now he's feeling pretty foolish. OP, as the originator of the thread you can ask a mod to delete the entire thread. Otherwise, there is a good chance it will come back to haunt you
Old 03-11-18, 02:50 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Impact or not, if it was so light that OP didn't notice it maybe there is some cause for concern about the structural integrity of the frame to begin with. Say, you bumped it somehow, normal use and not hard, and it caused a dent in a weak spot.

I don't see how Marin could warranty it, because it does appear to be an impact dent, unless it came to you that way and you never noticed until Wendy's. It's possible ...
I think it would depend on the intended use of the bike. There is quite an "arms race" to make road bikes lighter, and thus thinner tubing. It probably isn't pointed out anywhere, but there is a range of acceptable use for road bikes on the road... beyond that they aren't guaranteed.

This could have been a much sadder story if it had been a carbon fiber bike that took the same impact.

Mountain Bikes, on the other hand, are expected to take abuse, so a big dent from falling on a desk might, in fact, be reason for a warranty claim. Even carbon fiber MTBs should take quite a bit of abuse.

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
This is all wallyworlds fault. I believe you could saw a frame in two and return it for full refund with no questions asked there and similar big box stores by just by screaming "DEFECTIVE!" The popular practice of transmitting defamatory and false statements against what seem to me to be very reasonable manufacturer and retailer polices is just begging for snark IMHO.
Carry on!
Return policies are different from store to store. There are stories that REI has a 1-year satisfaction guaranteed warranty. So it is quite possible that REI would have taken the bike back.

I do, however, discourage people from abusing the policies, otherwise they may just quietly go away for everyone.
Old 03-11-18, 02:55 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OP hasn't been back in awhile and I expect by now he's feeling pretty foolish. OP, as the originator of the thread you can ask a mod to delete the entire thread. Otherwise, there is a good chance it will come back to haunt you
Or it could be moved to FOO

There has been a certain amount of humor that came with it.
Old 03-11-18, 04:39 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Actually, any OP can completely delete their own thread with a couple of mouse clicks, no need to bother a mod, I do this whenever I'm feeling pretty foolish
Old 03-12-18, 01:17 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think it would depend on the intended use of the bike. There is quite an "arms race" to make road bikes lighter, and thus thinner tubing. It probably isn't pointed out anywhere, but there is a range of acceptable use for road bikes on the road... beyond that they aren't guaranteed.
True. I am assuming that the Marin is a mid to entry level road bike, not intended as the feather-light high performance bike but I don't really know them and could be wrong.

This might be a golden opportunity for OP to purchase a compatible carbon fiber frame and move his parts over.
Old 03-12-18, 01:37 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
You know how when some people lose something, they just assume they misplaced it, and other people immediately start accusing people of stealing it?

Guess which type this guy is.
Old 03-12-18, 02:49 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by ksryder
Guess which type this guy is.
The third type...

Swallowed up by a micro-black hole.

One of those weird spacial anomalies that Star Trek keeps running into?

Perhaps an invasion of packrats.
Old 03-13-18, 09:00 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Irony: https://www.bikeforums.net/20134358-post26.html
Old 03-13-18, 01:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
What a hoot
Old 03-13-18, 06:56 PM
ZIZZWHEEL

Bikes: 2014 Lemond limited edition, 91 Calfee Lemond team Z, 91 Lemond team Z steel bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How about taking it to "dent Genie" or some other automobile dent and or hail place. Maybe they can do something to help. It is worth a try. Don't know how they would get one of their tools in there to manipulate the dent out. Maybe dry ice on the tube ? Sort of like getting that first door ding in a new car.
Old 12-04-19, 01:55 PM
Npower22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a dent that developed as well from “NO”impact as well. I

Originally Posted by nzhu
I haven't been this angry in a long time. I feel like someone stole my wallet.
But here's what happened
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a Marin Vincenza from Performance Bikes after my Marin Nicasio (my first bike from the same Performance Store) was stolen 1 week after I bought it from my private property during the day.
It’s been about a month since I got the bike.

When I got it and tried it…..it was the most wonderful bike I’ve ever ridden on. It was a perfect fit, geometry, etc in every way. Of course, after having my previous bike stolen on private property, I was very paranoid. I kept the bike locked in my room, or within sight at all times. Even during work. (I work in a startup with just 4 ppl. 2 bosses, and 1 other employee). The bike was fast and light. Every day after work, I would spray the frame with Pledge Orange Clean and wipe it down. And I’d relube the chain

2 Days ago, on March 7, 2018, I finished up at work. I packed up to leave. I went to my office and as I usually do, feel the smoothness of my bike, and admire it’s beauty as well as its glowing shine from having cleaning it with Pledge yesterday. So I KNOW this bike was in perfect condition as this moment.

I left and I rode 2 miles on from Twinbrook to Rockville, MD. That’s just 1 metro stop’s distance on the Washington DC metro. I rode on the sidewalk. So whatever bumps I encounter is just sidewalk mini bump and even then I don’t ride quickly.

I road to Rockville and stopped in front of Wendy’s. I got off the bike, and turned to walk the bike and to my ABSOLUTE shock, there was a HUGE dent (rather it looks more than a dent but deep enough to be a bend) in the metal.

Next day I took the bike to my local performance bikes to the technician. And I show it to him. I tell him yesterday I before I left work, I checked by bike and it was perfectly fine. And then I rode back on the straight paved road from Twinbrook to Rockville, 2 miles and when I got off the bike at the Wendy’s, I saw this huge dent in the top tube.
And indeed, when I got off the bike in front of wendy’s and saw the big bump, I was shocked! I didn’t believe it! I thought it was a shadow. So I actually had to feel it with my hands to make sure it wasn’t a dream, but it STILL felt like I was dreaming!! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE, that the tube completely intact before I left work, and then when I got to wendys!?!??!

I’m trying to figure it out, but the best I can come up with is that where I work is usually around 75 degrees. That night 2 days ago was freezing. So when I took my warm bike into the cold weather, it created a vaccum on the inside that caused the soft aluminum to implode on that spot as I sat on the saddle and rode it.
The performance bike tech said “Well what do you expect me to do? That’s a damage to the frame. There’s nothing I can do” in an abrupt way. I told him “I bought this bike from here 3 weeks ago! This bike is manufacture defect! It has to be covered under warranty”. He said “No warranty doesn’t cover that.” I said “then call Marin and put in that it’s a Manufacture defect!”. In the most LAZYIEST tone, he said “OOOkkk”. He pulled out a form for me to sign. And then he said “You’re going to have to leave the bike here. We need to take pictures and send it to Marin. The warranty [guy] isn’t here right now. He’ll be back tomarrow. The earliest you’re going to hear back from Marin is tomarrow”.

So I left my bike there overnight and left.

Next afternoon I called Performace and asked about the bike. And the performance bike guy [Mark] I think said “yeah this dent is due to an impact. It’s not covered under warranty”…..While completely dazed I said “Are you kidding? That dent came out of no where. Before I left work it wasn’t there. And then after riding and getting off 2 miles later, there was a dent!”!!! And he said again “No, you must have hit it on something”. Again, I told him “Look, I had one of my bikes stolen from me last month. When I got this bike, I’ve been totally paranoid so I’ve kept this bike with me at all times or I keep it locked away”. He said “Did you lock the bike anywhere or leave it outside?”. I said “NO! I keep my bike inside, and I didn’t lock the bike outside. AGAIN, this bike happened YESTERDAY while riding back from work! This isn’t a situation where we’re figuring out WHEN it happened. I KNOW WHEN it happened, and I happened to be riding on flat road back home!”.

But I just couldn’t convince him that this is a defect with the bike. He still thinks I damaged it. And all he could say was “I’ve never seen anything like this before”. And all I could say was “I know! I was shocked when I saw it too, but this is what happened! I didn’t crash into anything! It didn’t fall. Nothing. This bike is in perfect condition!!! Just look. No scratches anywhere!!!”

I have taken care of this bike so well. I’ve always made sure to wipe it down after each night. I lube the chains. And I always put the bike in a safe location. That’s just a show of my habit, but that’s of course besides the point because the dent happened at that MOMENT ALL OF A SUDDEN, and not due to some long term accumulation of rust damage or something.

But HOW could I possibly argue with HIM?! It’s my word against his no matter how much I know how careful I was or no matter HOW CLEARLY I remembered the events of that night. To him, I’m a lier because he believes “No, a dent like that can’t happen by itself”. But I explained to him “There’s NOT EVEN A SCRATCH on the paint on the dent! If it was an impact, the paint would be chipped and the paint is intact!”. “All I did was ride back from work! I didn’t run into a tree. I didn’t get hit by a car! Nothing! All I did was ride on the roads!!” And all he kept repeating over and over again was that there’s nothing he can do for me, and that he’d send pictures of the bike over to Marin.

Anyways, he gave me Marin’s 800 phone number. I call Marin, and a guy picks up and says “Hi, Marin moutain bikes speaking…”. And I explain the whole situation to him. And he says and believes BY DEFAULT, “no that’s not possible”. Without seeing any pictures or anything. Just hearing my story, he says “No that’s not possible. ”
Because I think if he did admit to the SERIOUS SELF IMPLODING problem with the bike, they’d have to do a recall of the bike or at least a big investigation. SOO instead of considering the possibility, he’s squashing any complaint that I have. EVEN THOUGH I’M TELLING THE TRUTH!!! But that goes to show, claiming and getting reimbursed for manufacture defect is near impossible! Because there’s so many stupid excuses they can pull out of their ass rather than admit they’re making a bull**** self imploding product.

ESPECIALLY, since he de facto claimed it’s my fault even though he has no evidence to make such claims.

So now I’m waiting for Marin to check the pictures, but I’m not having much hope.

Bought this bike new 3 weeks ago.....and it's already destroyed...spontaneously.

And it looks like I got scammed again. People steal bikes from my house. People hack my investment account and steal everything. And now, companies are making up BS not to fix their own faults.

And DO NOT BUY THE MARIN VINCENZA!!!! It’s A FAULTY BIKE and both Marin and Peformance are useless!
My bike was purchased five days ago and now has a dent on the top tube as well on my Marin Chromoly ridgid frame. The ambient temperature was below freezing this past week. The dent also has zero indication of an impact. There is no scratch, just a dent.
Old 12-04-19, 06:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Npower22
My bike was purchased five days ago and now has a dent on the top tube as well on my Marin Chromoly ridgid frame. The ambient temperature was below freezing this past week. The dent also has zero indication of an impact. There is no scratch, just a dent.
Please start your own thread about your bike.

Thread closed.