Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Custom beach cruiser frame

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 04-17-18, 07:34 PM
W4rga

Bikes: Old huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm interested and talking to somebody about finding somebody who can build a custom beach cruiser frame for me or at least talk to me about it. I've searched online for custom bicycle frame builders what I come across is frame Builders selling their frame. I have my own design I would like to talk to somebody about building. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it thank you
Old 04-17-18, 08:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Finding a builder who will build to your spec is different then finding one who will build you a frame to their spec. Not all builders will do this. Their reputation is at stake with each frame. Don't be surprised if most are hesitant. Andy
Old 04-18-18, 06:01 PM
W4rga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Finding a builder who will build to your spec is different then finding one who will build you a frame to their spec. Not all builders will do this. Their reputation is at stake with each frame. Don't be surprised if most are hesitant. Andy
Where do you think a good place to go would be or to turn to would be to research things like what steel tubing do I use? Thank you very much for replying anyway I appreciate it and you are absolutely correct
Old 04-18-18, 08:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

4130 is relatively cheap compared to the labor cost and not too much more then mild steels, that is what I would use. As to the dimensions of tubes, plates I would have to see the design and it's load paths as well as the intended carrying weight to start thinking about it.

A great deal of design can be copied/extrapolated from existing cargo bikes. Maybe avoiding their short comings will be the best initial steps when looking at them.

This is an area of building that I haven't really paid much attention to although I do study the cargo bikes a bit I see as they come through
the shop. Equally important is the steering geometry and control designs. Weighty cargos significantly change handling dynamics. Don't forget about the drivetrain/low gearing needs and then there's the brakes... Andy
Old 04-19-18, 02:02 AM
W4rga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I knew how to add a picture to this thing. Geometry, their bicycles out there custom built of course with every imaginable head tube angle you can think of. If you have the opportunity ,Google ,girl riding chopper bicycle through the neighborhood. That's a cool bike! I like the fork, I like the head tube angle and that's about it. If you saw a picture of that bicycle, and married it with a Panama Jack beach cruiser fully Decked Out ,rear rack, saddle bags, bullet headlight, horn, wooden crate sitting on the rack... you know fully dressed beach cruiser stretch Chopper. Yeah sure the geometry probably isn't quite right & its not going to win any races or climb any big Hills or go up any Mountain trails but to cruise around the streets of the neighborhood, badass! Anyway just a picture in my head. Thank you for talking to me about this it's really interesting to me I have a whole lot to learn

Last edited by W4rga; 04-19-18 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 05:09 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
there are people that build bikes like that, but it's really a separate group of people from either the road or mountain framebuilder community. But even there, they probably want to build their own designs, not yours. There are companies that specialize in selling chopper/lowrider bicycle parts, that might be the place to start for leads.
Old 04-19-18, 08:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

This forum has a qualifying number of posts before pictures or internet links can be included in your posts. What this threshold is I don't know. But what many will do is to use a third party photo sharing service (I use Flicker) and link to them but not in a URL manor. Spelling out "DOT" "AT" or place spaces between obvious points. Andy
Old 04-19-18, 11:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
newbies can attach photos through the forum software. Go advanced, manage attachment, select photo, upload

or just have 5 posts
Old 04-19-18, 11:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tried https://bikeschool.com/index.php/res...industry-links they have frame building classes to DIY.

Home | Inglis & Retrotec Cycles may take it on,

Old 07-05-18, 01:10 PM
Surly Steve

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
In addition to Curt Inglis and Retrotec a couple other options might be Cameron Falconer (Google Krusty Diamond) or Adam Sklar, they both make beautiful frames but as I am finding they come at a high price, but having a bicycle that fits you and your style of riding is what its all about.
Old 07-06-18, 04:48 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Contact John at 616fab.com. He built a fork to my spec, and said he was happy to build a frame to spec as well. His paint guy is very good, too.