Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Philosophical discussion about busses and pollution

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Philosophical discussion about busses and pollution

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 08:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
LCF Philosophers™ don't need no stinkin' reality!

Old 05-23-18, 09:15 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
What does "health" mean with respect to planets? Which planets are healthiest? What improves their health?
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I hear Mars hits the gym every day .... Jupiter is soft and slushy by comparison.
Don't be mean, guys.

Here's some health data. We've cut the plant mass of the biosphere in half and the global biomass of wild animals by 85%. We're in the midst of a mass extinction event.
https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-...mammals-plants
Old 05-23-18, 10:07 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
What does "health" mean with respect to planets? Which planets are healthiest? What improves their health?
I view that as one of those "What is truth anyways?" statements intended to subvert rational thought. Very postmodern of you.

I am more than happy to let experts prioritize the necessary actions.
Old 05-23-18, 11:10 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I view that as one of those "What is truth anyways?" statements intended to subvert rational thought. Very postmodern of you.

I am more than happy to let experts prioritize the necessary actions.
Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut
“You know what truth is? [...] It's some crazy thing my neighbor believes. If I want to make friends with him, I ask him what he believes. He tells me, and I say, "Yeah, yeah - ain't it the truth?”
Good enough.

PS: I read and liked that quote long before Bike Forums was even started.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-23-18 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 05-23-18, 01:29 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Using public transit is consistent with a pollution-minimal lifestyle. Using your bike is even more consistent.
Simple and to the point.
Old 05-23-18, 05:51 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton Using public transit is consistent with a pollution-minimal lifestyle. Using your bike is even more consistent.
Originally Posted by Chris0516
Simple and to the point.
Then another question arises. Will it reverse a 10,000 year event? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction
If not then who does it help?
Old 05-23-18, 06:29 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Then another question arises. Will it reverse a 10,000 year event? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction
If not then who does it help?
There is no reversing time. But replacing pavement with more living soil and changing the way we live to co-exist better with the natural environment offers hope. It's really not that hard to use our advanced scientific and technological expertise to simultaneously take advantage of industrial efficiency and be more eco-friendly. LCF is a great example because the mechanical efficiency of biking on smooth pavement is something that has only been possible for about a century, and really it only took off with the invention of bike-lanes and paved bike paths. The challenge is for people who are used to urban environments to adapt to sharing the cities with more wildlife. This is difficult since there is a culture of fear regarding wild animals and diseases, etc. they could carry, without regard for the benefits they bring, such as eating bugs, mosquitos, etc. (e.g. frogs, bats, armadillos, etc.) Healthy ecosystems absorb and filter pollution from air and water. We may not be able to reverse past extinctions, but we can help what's left of natural ecology heal and flourish and see how it evolves in the next 10,000 years.
Old 05-23-18, 06:46 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
There is no reversing time. But replacing pavement with more living soil and changing the way we live to co-exist better with the natural environment offers hope. It's really not that hard to use our advanced scientific and technological expertise to simultaneously take advantage of industrial efficiency and be more eco-friendly. LCF is a great example because the mechanical efficiency of biking on smooth pavement is something that has only been possible for about a century, and really it only took off with the invention of bike-lanes and paved bike paths. The challenge is for people who are used to urban environments to adapt to sharing the cities with more wildlife. This is difficult since there is a culture of fear regarding wild animals and diseases, etc. they could carry, without regard for the benefits they bring, such as eating bugs, mosquitos, etc. (e.g. frogs, bats, armadillos, etc.) Healthy ecosystems absorb and filter pollution from air and water. We may not be able to reverse past extinctions, but we can help what's left of natural ecology heal and flourish and see how it evolves in the next 10,000 years.
If you agree with point A, then you realize tossing children into Volcanoes didn't work, dancing in the dirt till people fell down didn't work. and telling a monarch they had to power to stop the waves and make the rain come didn't work. Without 7.5 billion people all working in the same direction that extinction will take place. All you can do is extend the suffering of the people that don't have the ability to change. Do you really believe if the extinction has had a 10,000 year head start with the events accelerating to the 100th power since 1900? SO the question remains, are we in the extinction period scientifically and will taking the bus stop it. If not is it just a feel good activity to those that wish it could help?

Do you also realize most of the 7.7 billion people aren't even being asked to change their lifestyle for at least 20 years? How critical can it be when someone says we have to change, but not yet?

Last edited by Mobile 155; 05-23-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 02:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Sorry for people who have a hard time with history and reality ... but mass extinctions have been happening regularly since life emerged, and there is no reason to think there won't be another, and no reason to think humans won't get wiped out. it isn't like we have some magic Extinction-Guard (tm) protecting us.

If the ocean rises enough to flood most land masses and creates huge marshlands in a very hot humid environment, cycling will take a back seat to kayaking. If the temperature drops several tens of degree and we have another ice age, skiing will take precedence.

If a meteor slams into the planet ...

if people keep bringing in ridiculously irrelevant stuff .... then this must be LCF.
Old 05-25-18, 02:40 PM
tandempower

Sorry for people who have a hard time with history and reality ... but mass extinctions have been happening regularly since life emerged, and there is no reason to think there won't be another, and no reason to think humans won't get wiped out. it isn't like we have some magic Extinction-Guard (tm) protecting us.

If the ocean rises enough to flood most land masses and creates huge marshlands in a very hot humid environment, cycling will take a back seat to kayaking. If the temperature drops several tens of degree and we have another ice age, skiing will take precedence.

If a meteor slams into the planet ...

if people keep bringing in ridiculously irrelevant stuff .... then this must be LCF.
How much would a luggage rack loaded to capacity slow this thing down?
Old 05-26-18, 04:21 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much would a luggage rack loaded to capacity slow this thing down?
The slower you're going the less you can slow down.
Old 05-26-18, 08:08 AM
tandempower

The slower you're going the less you can slow down.
Idk that it goes that slow. I assume it goes faster than paddling, since legs are stronger than arms.
Old 05-26-18, 10:23 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Idk that it goes that slow. I assume it goes faster than paddling, since legs are stronger than arms.
That paddle boat, I couldn't say. Maybe so. The more conventional flat bottom paddle boats are terribly slow. He's got a rudder that looks substantial. Yes legs are stronger than ams but the comparative footprint in the water is an essential part of the equation. This one looks to probably have somewhat more resistance than a canoe would but that's just my guess. Wind is also a huge factor and even a cross wind feels like a headwind on the water. He's pretty exposed to wind vs. me crouched down in my canoe. The efficiency of ors compared to his mechanics also deserves consideration. I would certainly not assume a faster ride in his craft.

Last edited by Walter S; 05-26-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-26-18, 10:33 AM
tandempower

That paddle boat, I couldn't say. Maybe so. The more conventional flat bottom paddle boats are terribly slow. He's got a rudder that looks substantial. Yes legs are stronger than ams but the comparative footprint in the water is an essential part of the equation. This one looks to probably have somewhat more resistance than a canoe would but that's just my guess. Wind is also a huge factor and even a cross wind feels like a headwind on the water. He's pretty exposed to wind vs. me crouched down in my canoe. The efficiency of ors compared to his mechanics also deserves consideration. I would certainly not assume a faster ride in his craft.
I wonder about the efficiency of a pedal-driven propeller vs. paddles. In my experience, a paddleboat with pedals isn't very efficient, but I imagine some kind of conveyor-belt with paddles built onto it like caterpillar treads on the water would not spin and aerate the water like a propeller or paddle-wheel. The wind factor is a good point. Probably some kind of row boat where you can pedal while rowing would be the ultimate human-powered water-speeder . . . and what a workout it would be!
Old 05-26-18, 10:57 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Mass extinctions? We're just riding bikes here.

FWIW, if you agree that wiping out entire species is harmful and you're concerned about it, it stands to reason that contributing to it is morally wrong and any personal efforts to mitigate it are right actions, on principle. Even though you're not going to solve the problem.
Old 05-26-18, 11:44 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Well, as usual the OP got to 3 posts and checked out maybe 14 pages ago. Does this mean "mission accomplished"?
Old 05-27-18, 04:14 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a race against time. First we need to colonize and terraform Mars. Then the human race can survive huge meteor strikes or other earthbound catastrophes. But then we can't just sit on our laurels and grove on our ability to evolve for eons. We still need to worry about supernovas etc. and within another five billion years our Sun will blow up and destroy the whole solar system. So it's time to be working on interstellar space travel too. But then since the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate eventually everything will move far away from everything else and all interaction between matter will cease as it all flies away beyond reach by speed-of-light and we'll enter a long future where nothing at all happens or lives. Once photons can no longer cover the distance between atoms time will stop.

Or this is all a simulation and any day now its creators will get bored and unplug it.
Old 05-27-18, 08:14 AM
tandempower

It's a race against time. First we need to colonize and terraform Mars. Then the human race can survive huge meteor strikes or other earthbound catastrophes. But then we can't just sit on our laurels and grove on our ability to evolve for eons. We still need to worry about supernovas etc. and within another five billion years our Sun will blow up and destroy the whole solar system. So it's time to be working on interstellar space travel too. But then since the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate eventually everything will move far away from everything else and all interaction between matter will cease as it all flies away beyond reach by speed-of-light and we'll enter a long future where nothing at all happens or lives. Once photons can no longer cover the distance between atoms time will stop.

Or this is all a simulation and any day now its creators will get bored and unplug it.
In terms of energy-consumption and land-use, the machine population has become more significant than humans and other biological energy/space consumers, I think. So if the current ratio of machines to humans persists as the human population expands on Earth and beyond, the question becomes whether it will be sustainable anywhere in the universe or whether we will have to keep moving from planet to planet, solar system to solar system, seeking out new stockpiles of fossilized starlight to consume faster than it can be produced.
Old 05-27-18, 09:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Perhaps one of the script writers of LCF fantasies will post the outline for a new "LCF Reality"TV series, As the LCF Philosophy Turns on the BF LCF list for the entertainment of all.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-27-18 at 09:30 AM.