Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Its not just US juries that are reluctant to hold motorists culpable ...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 07:28 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ugh not motor cyclists, drivers! Can't you edit a title?

From the UK Jury fails to reach verdict on whether Ayasha Penfold killed cyclist John Durey through dangerous driving in Kingsnorth

For those of you who don't have the time to read it.

1) She overtakes two vehicles at once and hits a cyclist going in the opposite direction head on.
2) Road is open and flat and she should have seen him.
3) Initally said she braked but then changed her story to say the lorry/truck she overtook made her hit him!

Hung jury if she drove recklessly? WTH. Either the cyclist is a vehicle or they aren't. Since they are in most places they should have the same level of expectation to be seen and drivers shouldn't be able to use the old "I didn't see him that's why I killed him" line.

Last edited by raria; 05-04-18 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 08:52 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
So, what now? Open season on cyclists?
Old 05-04-18, 10:49 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Edited thread title

Oops. Edited a second time.
Old 05-04-18, 11:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Still incorrect title. Replace 'cyclist' with 'motorist'.
Old 05-04-18, 12:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I have a couple of drivers a year that decide they have to pass a car while approaching me head-on. Usually in places where there are relatively wide shoulders.

With me on the shoulder, they whiz by OK. I started waving my left hand to try to draw attention to myself, but don't think I've ever had a car slow down and pull back into their own lane.

The worst, however, was at Crater Lake. Narrow shoulderless road with unprotected dropoffs, and moderately rough pavement. I'd be descending at about 40 MPH in the middle of the lane when cars going uphill would decide they had to pass cyclists by lane splitting... except I felt I needed the whole lane due to road conditions. Was I going too fast? Maybe, but I still had cars that needed to pass me while I was descending at 40 MPH.

Of course, it is quite regular that vehicles will pass me going in the same direction I'm travelling, with oncoming traffic from the opposite direction. I've gotten used to it. Usually there is a bit of a weave, with the oncoming vehicles moving onto the shoulder to give a little more space.

I think the problem with this case is inadequate driver training. Ayasha Penfold was apparently a young driver (20?). The cyclist hit, John Durey was travelling faster than average (22 MPH), which decreases tolerances somewhat, and perhaps also makes them harder for drivers to predict. If he had been riding at 10 MPH, she might have safely passed the vehicle and returned to her lane before passing him.

What really is needed is more emphasis on care of passing "vulnerable road users", and to instill that into the core of all driver training.

I've suggested "Veto Questions" for drivers exams. If they miss a question about vulnerable road users, then it is an automatic fail.

I'm not sure what to do about drivers like Ayasha Penfold. I'm not convinced that a long prison term or huge fine would solve anything. Take away the driver's license for life if one wishes. Heck, it would be cheaper to buy here a very nice bicycle to ride than conducting the trial.
Old 05-04-18, 12:36 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
UK courts are softest in the world, it's a shock when they hold anyone culpable of anything.
Old 05-04-18, 12:54 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm not sure what to do about drivers like Ayasha Penfold. I'm not convinced that a long prison term or huge fine would solve anything. Take away the driver's license for life if one wishes. Heck, it would be cheaper to buy here a very nice bicycle to ride than conducting the trial.
Give her a large fine and suspend her license for 10 years. At least then you know she personally will never do something dangerous again.
Old 05-04-18, 01:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Give her a large fine and suspend her license for 10 years. At least then you know she personally will never do something dangerous again.
So, she starts driving again at 30, with no practice as a young adult.

I've ridden with a couple of drivers that started driving at 30 or 40. It can be quite unnerving.

The Living Car Free people have demonstrated that it is perfectly possible to live without driving. If she gets married, she can ride as a passenger with the spouse.
Old 05-04-18, 07:54 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Passing two vehicles at once, is by definition careless/reckless.
Old 05-04-18, 09:19 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And one was a lorry/truck

Originally Posted by CB HI
What gets me was the sheer lack of admitting any guilt. She blamed the truck for pushing her too wide. What about just breaking when you knew you could not pass.
Old 05-05-18, 04:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
A jury of your peers is a jury of the defendant's peers. So if the defendant is a bad driver, the jury would be made up of bad drivers too.

Amazing that it's a hung jury and not one who would aquit the defendant.
Old 05-05-18, 09:06 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
A jury of your peers is a jury of the defendant's peers. So if the defendant is a bad driver, the jury would be made up of bad drivers too.

Amazing that it's a hung jury and not one who would aquit the defendant.
Jury likely had a frequent cyclist or spouse of a cyclist for that to happen.
Old 05-05-18, 10:46 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've suggested "Veto Questions" for drivers exams. If they miss a question about vulnerable road users, then it is an automatic fail.
Well, there's two of us in the same county who want this. I wonder if we can start a movement. It won't be terribly meaningful unless we get some sort of retesting regimen in place. It's insane that someone takes the knowledge test at age 16 and is never again asked to demonstrate that they are aware of the laws governing the operation of a motor vehicle.
Old 05-06-18, 07:43 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Well, there's two of us in the same county who want this. I wonder if we can start a movement. It won't be terribly meaningful unless we get some sort of retesting regimen in place. It's insane that someone takes the knowledge test at age 16 and is never again asked to demonstrate that they are aware of the laws governing the operation of a motor vehicle.
Count me in for those veto questions as well as restesting. And I've been advocating a long time for a minimum of 8 hours of in-traffic bicycle experience as a requirement for a driver's license.
Old 05-07-18, 08:30 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I'm not nuanced enough in British law, what is the difference between "careless" driving she plead guilty for, and "dangerous" driving she denies.

By whose definition?

Having lived in some very rural areas with slow logging trucks on the road, sometimes passing two vehicles at once is the only way to keep traffic flowing, when you get someone behind them that absolutely refuse to pass the truck themselves.
Old 05-07-18, 11:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
And I've been advocating a long time for a minimum of 8 hours of in-traffic bicycle experience as a requirement for a driver's license.
Has a single individual in any area of decision making/rule setting/law enforcement, anywhere, paid one iota of interest in acting on your advocacy of this requirement?
Old 05-07-18, 12:53 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Has a single individual in any area of decision making/rule setting/law enforcement, anywhere, paid one iota of interest in acting on your advocacy of this requirement?
I don't know, but this is funny....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-07-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 01:39 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The driver is lucky that it was not another truck coming the other way. I don't know about this case but on a straight piece of road it is often hard to see well enough around a semi to confidently make a safe pass. People need to be more patient and stop accelerating into unknown situations. IMHO, a double pass requires commitment and indicates aggressive/impatient dangerous driving to me. Watch some Russian dashcam footage and you will never pass another truck again.
Old 05-09-18, 06:13 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'm not nuanced enough in British law, what is the difference between "careless" driving she plead guilty for, and "dangerous" driving she denies.

By whose definition?

Having lived in some very rural areas with slow logging trucks on the road, sometimes passing two vehicles at once is the only way to keep traffic flowing, when you get someone behind them that absolutely refuse to pass the truck themselves.
Bit of Google and cut and paste on UK law:
  • Careless driving is below the standard expected by a competent and careful driver.
  • Dangerous driving is far below the standard expected by a competent and careful driver.

--------------
Magistrates’ Courts Sentencing Guidelines

Careless driving

• Momentary lapse of concentration or misjudgement at low speed.
  • Loss of control due to speed, mishandling or insufficient attention to road conditions, or carelessly turning right across on-coming traffic.
  • Overtaking manoeuvre at speed resulting in collision of vehicles, or driving bordering on the dangerous.

Dangerous driving

• Prolonged bad driving involving deliberate disregard for safety of others.
  • Incident(s) involving excessive speed or showing off, especially on busy roads or in built-up area.
  • Driving while being pursued by police.
Old 05-12-18, 02:40 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Why am I not surprised.
Old 05-14-18, 12:35 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Bit of Google and cut and paste on UK law:
  • Careless driving is below the standard expected by a competent and careful driver.
  • Dangerous driving is far below the standard expected by a competent and careful driver.

--------------
Magistrates’ Courts Sentencing Guidelines

Careless driving

• Momentary lapse of concentration or misjudgement at low speed.
  • Loss of control due to speed, mishandling or insufficient attention to road conditions, or carelessly turning right across on-coming traffic.
  • Overtaking manoeuvre at speed resulting in collision of vehicles, or driving bordering on the dangerous.

Dangerous driving

• Prolonged bad driving involving deliberate disregard for safety of others.
  • Incident(s) involving excessive speed or showing off, especially on busy roads or in built-up area.
  • Driving while being pursued by police.
I guess by those definitions I would side that it was indeed careless, not dangerous, driving, at least from the facts given.
Old 05-14-18, 01:12 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I guess by those definitions I would side that it was indeed careless, not dangerous, driving, at least from the facts given.
There is an interesting dynamic between all the different common law descriptions of the levels of an offence.

Accidental>Careless>Dangerous>Reckless and so on.

The police and prosecutors do have to be careful to pick the best charge depending on the evidence. Juries might just acquit on a 'higher' charge when they might have convicted on a 'lower' charge.

My favourite was always "depraved indifference".
Old 05-19-18, 01:21 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not necessarily, depending on relative speed and sight lines.

However, hitting anyone in the oncoming lane while passing is, by definition, not passing with due care and attention.
Old 06-04-18, 03:30 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Why am I not surprised.
Old 06-05-18, 08:52 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Just getting the Police here to take any action is a lottery, depending on which force you have to deal with. A few are good, and take cycling incidents seriously, some are not good.

I've reported two frightening near misses to Avon & Somerset - no action taken.

This guy reported a close pass to South Yorkshire - the call recording over the video says it all: -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.