Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Valuation on Diamonback Silver Streak 1983

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 05-06-18, 09:46 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

Hi. Looking for a ballpark (range) value on my Diamondback. I believe its a Silver Streak. I got it in 1983; I still have the original receipt and owners manual. My photos are not great; Brake caliper on rear is not original. Chrome on frame has rust at welds. The rust does appear to clean up with 0000 gauge steel wool. The wheels, handbars, stem, headset, cranks are original. The chainring was replace with a Tuf brand power disc/ring in 1984 or 1985. I understand values are different in different markets; I just want to get a ball park so I don't give it away when I sell.
Thanks

Last edited by vintagerando; 05-06-18 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 05-07-18, 11:15 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
On the seat tube does it say chromo main tubes, or does it say chromoly? If it says chromoly then it's actually a Pacer 500. The pacer 500 was actually the higher end model over a silver streak, but the sales were so poor that DB discontinued them and replaced it with the F1. They still had tons of Pacer frames so they re-decaled them as the much more popular Silver Streaks just to clear them out.

Value unfortunately is subjective to where you live etc. A good site to check out is www.thebmxmuseum.com the sad and twisted thing is breaking up your bike and selling it part by part will actually get you way more cash then selling it as a complete bike. For instance your araya rims go on quite a few other bikes and a clean set will set you back.

It's kinda sad your selling your original bike , but good luck man!
Old 05-07-18, 01:54 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by cbrstar
On the seat tube does it say chromo main tubes, or does it say chromoly? If it says chromoly then it's actually a Pacer 500.
On the decal? Or marked into the chrom on the tube?
Old 05-07-18, 06:36 PM
vintagerando

Is $250 too high an asking price?
Old 05-08-18, 07:09 PM
Oldbikenut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
Is $250 too high an asking price?
I have not been watching what Diamond backs have been selling for so it's hard to say, it you're not in a hurry watching eBay is the best way to get an idea. Having the original receipt and manual would be very desirable to me or anyone that is a collector of original BMX bikes, if I were in the market I would think $250 would be fair, but maybe to cheap to pricey, not sure? sorry but good luck with whatever you do.
Old 05-12-18, 07:40 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
You could probably sell the frame and wheels for 250+ bucks separately on ebay if they are in good shape. You can forget about selling the bike itself for much of anything unless it is fully restored and in great shape.
Old 05-13-18, 04:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
At least it's an older one , still I doubt collectors will beat a path to your door ..

asking is one thing, but take a lower offer. Or hold out , for a long time, your choice..
Old 05-17-18, 01:20 AM
Grease_Factory

Bikes: -1982 Kuwahara Apollo 24" Cruiser -1982 Kuwahara KE-1/KYZ -1983 Tange Shogun Hot Heart -1984 Kuwahara Bravo -1984 Diamond Back Viper/Pacer 500 -1985 Kuwahara Road Bike -1986 Kuwahara Magician -1987 Kuwahara Magician EX

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it has a "500" stamped on the rear dropouts its a Pacer 500/Viper/Silver Streak... I have an '84 viper in white. it seems they were reaching into a grab bag for the decals on the assembly line for some of them. Usually the full Cr-Mo bikes have a longer/larger pair of gussets with a bigger diamond in it. The ones with the short gussets (like yours and mine) are Tri-moly, where the three main tubes are Cr-Mo and the rest are Hi-Tensile Steel.

As far as price goes, its tough to say. Your bike looks like it could use a good cleaning and some polishing. Its got some cool parts on it that add to the value. The Mushroom ODI dust seal for the BB and that Kashimax Aero seat are great period upgrades.

Perhaps take a look at giving the thing a Bath in OA (Oxalic Acid) to remove the rust from the dificult to reach areas. lots of How-To vids online. With a few period replacement parts and a longer seat post, you may find you want to ride it instead of letting it go!

Keep it RAD!
Old 04-09-22, 12:29 AM
osbmxuk

Bikes: Diamond Back Silver Streak

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Definitely, a Pacer 500 which others have said was the replacement for the Silver Streak. This was the first bike to be produced by Diamond Back in Taiwan, after their move from Koizumi in Japan. The bike was a flop due to the name. It was rapidly rebranded with different decals in a few different guises, like Viper, Super Viper and Silver Streak over the course of 1984. This has been the cause of much confusion as there are many bikes, all identical frames, that people believe to be different models.