Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Safety concern - what should I do?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 10:25 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I'm back. Dusted the bike off last week.

Last night I was riding home after work, around 11pm. I was on the bike path, but only a few feet from a side road intersection where I planned on merging back onto the main road. There was one car on that road coming up from behind me, and the speed and distance was such that I didn't have to come to a full stop and wait in order to get behind him. So important part, I'm still on the bike path and I'm still in motion.

As the car passed, the passenger rolled his window down, screamed at me a couple of names that would be moderated on this forum and screamed at me to get off the road (that I wasn't even on at that moment). But, only car on the road, I realized something. I've seen this particular car a lot.

One of my early bike trips, they rolled down the window and yelled at me to get on the sidewalk, ironically as the sidewalk next to us abruptly ended in dirt and trees, with no ramp. Several more times they've laid into the horn and screamed at me when they passed me on the road. One time they laid on their horn nearly a quarter mile behind me all the way past me and yelled some names far worse than last night. A couple times they have come flying at me, braking far more closely and suddenly than most people (I use a mirror). One time, which scared the bleep out of me, I was on the bike path and that car was on the road and paralleled and paced me, the passenger just staring at me. They sped off when a police car passed the other way, waited for me farther on, paced me again, and only took off when someone with a bigger vehicle got behind them and laid into his horn. And finally a car that looked identical to that one got behind me in my apartment complex and followed me most of the way. When I stopped and cut through the grass, turned off my lights because it was night, I could see a car the right shape going back and forth on the main road. Other than the car following me which I cannot be sure who was in it, it's been the same two guys riding in it.

I don't want things to escalate and something bad happen to me. But at the same time I won't give up riding my bike. So, what are the safety measures I should do, since there is one particular vehicle on the road that apparently hates me.
Old 05-21-18, 11:08 PM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't know how bike-friendly the police are in your area, but since these individuals are repeatedly harassing you I'd try to get the license plate number and report it. Even better if you could get a video of them doing this. The stalking behavior is rather worrisome so I hope the police take your complaint seriously.

I once had a driver threaten me with assault and I called the local police. They gave me the option of either filing a formal complaint, appearing in court, etc. or just having an officer stop by the person's home and explain the rights of cyclists on the road, but not issue any citation. Since it was just a single incident and no actual harm, I chose the latter approach.
Old 05-22-18, 02:01 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120

Last night I was riding home after work, around 11pm. I was on the bike path, but only a few feet from a side road intersection where I planned on merging back onto the main road. There was one car on that road coming up from behind me, and the speed and distance was such that I didn't have to come to a full stop and wait in order to get behind him. So important part, I'm still on the bike path and I'm still in motion.
That is eery.
As the car passed, the passenger rolled his window down, screamed at me a couple of names that would be moderated on this forum and screamed at me to get off the road (that I wasn't even on at that moment). But, only car on the road, I realized something. I've seen this particular car a lot.
Ah, Part of the GT*OTR crowd
One of my early bike trips, they rolled down the window and yelled at me to get on the sidewalk, ironically as the sidewalk next to us abruptly ended in dirt and trees, with no ramp. Several more times they've laid into the horn and screamed at me when they passed me on the road. One time they laid on their horn nearly a quarter mile behind me all the way past me and yelled some names far worse than last night. A couple times they have come flying at me, braking far more closely and suddenly than most people (I use a mirror). One time, which scared the bleep out of me, I was on the bike path and that car was on the road and paralleled and paced me, the passenger just staring at me. They sped off when a police car passed the other way, waited for me farther on, paced me again, and only took off when someone with a bigger vehicle got behind them and laid into his horn. And finally a car that looked identical to that one got behind me in my apartment complex and followed me most of the way. When I stopped and cut through the grass, turned off my lights because it was night, I could see a car the right shape going back and forth on the main road. Other than the car following me which I cannot be sure who was in it, it's been the same two guys riding in it.
They make me laugh, at times. They want us out of their way. But say the most illogical things in the process.

I remember one time. When a guy in a pickup truck was behind me. It was a six-lane road. With plenty of room for him to change lanes. But it was like his hands were glued to the horn. He was lucky his airbag didn't go off. He would have punched himself.

I have encountered a passenger doing their GT*OTR routine.
I don't want things to escalate and something bad happen to me. But at the same time I won't give up riding my bike. So, what are the safety measures I should do, since there is one particular vehicle on the road that apparently hates me.
Maintain your lane. There will always be a member of the GT*OTR crowd. On the road somewhere.

Last edited by Chris0516; 05-22-18 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 02:41 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Get the plate #, file a formal complaint and ask the police to go to their house and talk to them.
Get a mace gun and carry it on a chest/back pack strap. https://www.amazon.com/Mace-Defense-...words=mace+gun
https://www.amazon.com/Mace-Brand-Am...A0ACG8V04FPEVB

For night, get the brightest helmet mounted light with a blink mode. Use to blind them if needed at night to give you time for an escape.
https://www.amazon.com/Lumintrail-Bi...cle+light+3000
Old 05-22-18, 02:55 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Also start building a case against them. Every time you see them, log the day, time, location, what they did and any other circumstances. Fill in the other details in you post here to start your log.

Telling some jerks that the police and friends had a copy of my log on them and if I ever got hit, the police would look for them first. Never saw them again.
Old 05-22-18, 06:14 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Agree. Police. No question. That's not just harassment, it's assault.
Old 05-22-18, 06:51 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Also start building a case against them. Every time you see them, log the day, time, location, what they did and any other circumstances. Fill in the other details in you post here to start your log.

Telling some jerks that the police and friends had a copy of my log on them and if I ever got hit, the police would look for them first. Never saw them again.
This^, start collecting "evidence" that can be taken seriously. The more the better. Additionally, I agree a video, maybe even multiple videos. The more "evidence" of a pattern of malicious behavior the less the police can ignore. You reach a point were anyone has to agree, these people are certainly sending signals that they are up to no good and likely intend some harm. Maybe the police would even be willing to bike along to "set them up".
I wouldn't advise communicating to them in any way, however.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Agree. Police. No question. That's not just harassment, it's assault.
I think it would be difficult to call this "assault" unless they actually verbally threaten to do harm at the very least. I believe going to the police with the word "assault" would only paint the OP as overreacting and not to be taken seriously. Certainly their behavior would point to possible intent to do harm, and that is what needs to be addressed. Calling something what it isn't usually doesn't result in positive reaction.
Old 05-22-18, 06:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
what city is this? or approx. what city?
Old 05-22-18, 06:58 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
It may be helpful if these people actually saw you recording a video of them, even if you are not actually recording them. But you should go to the police. In fact, you probably should have gone to them long ago.
Old 05-23-18, 08:15 PM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully I never see them again, but since I likely will, I'll note down the license plate. Money's tight, but I think a camera is a priority.
@mcours2006 You are right I should have done something a while back, but it just didn't click until it was that car all alone on the street. I looked at it, white paint that's either matte or flat, not the usual gloss, really boxy like built in the 1990s, the guy with his head out the window, and I realized that it's always the same car that's honking, yelling, pacing, etc.

It's really weird how recognizing it changed my perspective. I thought a decent amount of traffic didn't like me, but in actuality now that I review the memories, not that many people beyond this car that have honked at me or yelled at me to get on the sidewalk.
Old 05-24-18, 06:19 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Video is a priority, especially if you want the police to do more than just take a report. Around here, it's a struggle to get them to even look at a video, but they may be more proactive in your community.

The visible presence of a camera sometimes changes driver behaviour. I imagine that even a dummy camera may do it. Paint a wood dowel black and zip-tie it to your helmet to see if that has any affect.
Old 05-24-18, 06:48 PM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It may well be useful to file a report with the police now on the previous incidents even without enough detail (license #, descriptions, etc.) for them to immediately act on it. But if there is a subsequent incident where you are able to get the plate number or even some video then the earlier report would establish this as a pattern and you'd already have some contacts in the police department to go to with the new information.

It could also be the case that others have been harassed by these same perpetrators and that even a fairly vague description of the vehicle and occupants is enough to give the police a good idea of who they are or at least create more urgency in their investigation of other reported incidents.

Best of luck in bringing this to a successful conclusion.
Old 05-24-18, 09:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

It's really weird how recognizing it changed my perspective. I thought a decent amount of traffic didn't like me, but in actuality now that I review the memories, not that many people beyond this car that have honked at me or yelled at me to get on the sidewalk.
All of the problem folks really are less than 1% of all motorist.
Old 05-24-18, 10:55 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your a girl?

Judging by your handle your a girl?

If so then just go to the police now and say they were harassing you. If any of the slurs were sexist they'll come down extra hard on them.

What city/state are you in?

Old 05-24-18, 11:24 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Restraining order.
Old 05-25-18, 06:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
While an action cam video camera may not be in the budget right now, a simple 2nd hand digital camera or even a phone camera (if it's handy) would be a plus. Especially if it were easy to get to, like say in a front basket or top-tube bag (well, maybe not put your phone in there). Even a still photo is preferable to nothing. If you had photos of this vehicle on multiple occasions it would help you.

Also, if the police don't seem helpful enough, or motivated enough, I'm sure there is a local women's advocacy group that may be interested, or even a cycling advocacy group.
Old 05-25-18, 07:35 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
By all means, file a police report. If you seem him stalking you again, if there is a safe place for you to stop, do so and immediately call 911. Restraining order is a good idea but you need to know who it is and have documentation of the harassment. Multiple pictures on different days may also help in this regard.

This does sound like assault in that it is threatening behavior. Also if the frequency or severity of these encounters is increasing be sure to report that as well.

Can you get someone to accompany you? Both for your safety and as a witness.

Good luck, be careful and stay safe.

Old 05-25-18, 08:03 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I too would use video. Get as much as and many videos as you can. Post them on social media without any defaming comments, 'just the facts m'am'. Then visit the police department and give them a disk, USB drive or easy link to the videos and a written log of the times and dates and comments about what happened.

If the police fail you got to the areas prosecuting attorneys office. Let them know you tried the police and they failed you.

If the cities legal department fails you then take it to whoever manages your trails, the city Parks department?

If they all fail you then see if any area media coverage will pick up the issue. Judging from your handle I guess you are female. However sexist and wrong it may be, they will either pick it up mainly because you are female and fear for your life / safety or dismiss it because you are female. It's a screwed up world out there.

Above all, be courteous, thorough, methodical and persistent. You've seem to have gone WAY past the point where this is an 'isolate incident'. If they are doing this to you, then they are likely doing it to others as well.
Old 05-25-18, 08:52 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Stop riding at night.
Old 05-25-18, 09:24 AM
bikecrate

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Yeah, I think it's time for the police. I would do as suggested above and whip out the your phone and start recording. If this was me, I would be incline to call the police while it is occurring.
Old 05-25-18, 09:42 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Last night I was riding home after work, around 11pm.
Originally Posted by trailangel
Stop riding at night.
trailangel - good to see that you are willing to pay the cost of a car for rachel120 to commute home from work.
Old 05-25-18, 10:06 AM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely time for a camera, helmet mounted so it can record what's beside me. I don't want to get fired over mace but I'll talk to my employer about what compromise there could be with their no weapon policy.

@trailangel @CB HI is right. It's ride at night or don't make rent.

I'll try going to the LBS again (ick), see if there's a women's cycle group. Since it's close to the police station I'll make it a joint trip.
Old 05-25-18, 10:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Sorry for the short answer. This can be a frightening situation for anyone, but more so for a female. I would report to the police and ask them for extra patrol in your commuting area at the hour you ride.
Must be a bar nearby.
Where do you live, city, state? rural or urban?
My other answer was going to be carry firearm. Not sure that's a good idea either. Best to try and de-escalate the situation.
Old 05-25-18, 10:32 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
i'd recommend a gopro session and a kimber pepper blaster - my EDC (every day carry)
Old 05-25-18, 10:35 AM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No bar nearby, and I've seen this car at all hours. I think they might live close to me, for us to encounter each other so much. First time I saw them last year was pretty close to my complex.

This state apparently doesn't believe in the 2nd amendment, crazy fees and nearly impossible to get conceal carry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.