Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why I'm lit up like a Christmas tree (and also use cameras)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 04:27 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Came upon this last night (screen capture from front camera):

Motorist presumably drifted right, plowed into the guard rail (which ate their tire/strut/spring/more), and the momentum spun the rear end of the car across the road. No cop or other help yet on scene, so it happened not long before I got there.

Questions: Did that vehicle pass me shortly before? And did they give me ample room? Yes and yes. A few minutes prior (screen capture from rear camera):

Reminds me why I use two rear lights (one blinking, one solid) in addition to the cameras. The lights will hopefully help me avoid getting hit. The camera will provide "proof" if I ever do.

Btw, I use two front lights (again one blinking, one solid) as well

Last edited by JohnnyCyclist; 06-01-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 07:10 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Close call...but not close. Driver distracted, perhaps.

I am like you--two front lights, one of which is on blinking, usually two or more rear lights, one of which is blinking, front camera and rear camera.
Old 06-01-18, 09:12 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Interesting. I once watched a car stopped in the opposite lane to make a left get rear ended at 50 mph. Got spun around into the oncoming lane and hit again by a truck. I was about 15-20 feet away. No video though, I don't do 'em.
Old 06-02-18, 04:11 AM
Dyskolos

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 and 2016 Giant AnyRoad CoMax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It works until it doesn’t.

Like you, I ride with two very bright red lights in the rear, a very tight flashing white light in the front, hi-viz Jersey, shoes, socks, rear radar, mirror, etc. I was hit by a driver on May 15 , who “never saw me”. This after having two opportunities to do so. He should have seen my white flashings light as he approached the intersection and then he should have seen the flashing reds after he made his turn and came up behind me.

I have the freedom to choose to not ride solo on the road anymore. I sympathize with those who don’t have that option.
Old 06-04-18, 12:01 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
??? Is there a bicycle in either picture?! Whatever justification there might be for using two flashers (and does it need saying that that hardly comes close to being a "Christmas Tree" ...) or a camera that some shot of a mangled motorcycle or whatever that thing is should not empower any bicyclist one way or another. Why does it matter? Because my wife reads this #$%#%. We go out on the tandem and have a nice meal and we come out and its dark and she is like "do you have a flasher???" Me: "No." Her:"then how are we going to get home?!" Me: "we'll be fine" Her: "<mutter, mutter>" stink eye all the way home, and of course no you know what. You guys are killing my love life. Stop it. Just cut it out. Please, and thank you.
Old 06-04-18, 01:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
wow, pretty amazing share. glad you survived what could be considered a near death experience

my car was once struck by a truck's front strut (sans wheel) as seen in the photo, while driving to work. those things do a lot of damage
Old 06-04-18, 05:42 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I was at my Dad's bedside when he passed away. Can I consider that a near death experience?
Old 06-05-18, 07:25 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Oh no, a dead Element.
Old 06-05-18, 07:30 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
Came upon this last night (screen capture from front camera):

Motorist presumably drifted right, plowed into the guard rail (which ate their tire/strut/spring/more), and the momentum spun the rear end of the car across the road. No cop or other help yet on scene, so it happened not long before I got there.

Questions: Did that vehicle pass me shortly before? And did they give me ample room? Yes and yes. A few minutes prior (screen capture from rear camera):

Reminds me why I use two rear lights (one blinking, one solid) in addition to the cameras. The lights will hopefully help me avoid getting hit. The camera will provide "proof" if I ever do.

Btw, I use two front lights (again one blinking, one solid) as well
+1 good practice. Also smart to wear high visibility clothing like fluorescent helmet, shoes, jersey etc
Old 06-05-18, 07:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I was at my Dad's bedside when he passed away. Can I consider that a near death experience?
sorry for your loss, that must have been difficult. here's wishing you nothing but the best memories. & yes that certainly is a near death experience but in a different way for sure
Old 06-07-18, 10:08 AM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The driver swerved off the road, so obviously wasn't looking (probably checking their phone or something). All the lights in the world wouldn't have helped if you were between the car and the guardrail. The driver has to actually be looking for them to work. The cameras may have helped in the following lawsuit, however.
Old 06-07-18, 10:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Maybe the driver was disoriented from the strobe lights and lost control.
Old 06-08-18, 10:48 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian
The driver swerved off the road, so obviously wasn't looking (probably checking their phone or something). All the lights in the world wouldn't have helped if you were between the car and the guardrail. The driver has to actually be looking for them to work. The cameras may have helped in the following lawsuit, however.
But you're supposing that the driver would never have looked up while the x-mas tree cyclist was in their view, or if they did, they still would not have seen 'em. And you have zero evidence that would have been the case.

I suppose that if the OP was near the guard rail the motorist would have seen him and avoided both. Even texting motorists have to look up every few seconds. Why not give 'em something to see?
Old 06-09-18, 06:16 PM
jamescycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is kind of scary really, I do not know if there is a way to enhance the photo to see if the driver was on his cell phone, or nodding off while driving, maybe he was getting sleepy and his phone rang then he crashed, because the railing just came out of no where. I can recall drivers not seeing me, even with a reflective vest and lights on, and I know of a cyclist who was killed from behind, while he had a rear light on.
Old 06-10-18, 06:44 AM
jamescycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this someone talking on a mobile phone?
Old 06-10-18, 10:49 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
OP, keep the cameras rolling and lights on.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Interesting. I once watched a car stopped in the opposite lane to make a left get rear ended at 50 mph. Got spun around into the oncoming lane and hit again by a truck. I was about 15-20 feet away. No video though, I don't do 'em.
June 16, 2007, BTW---the same daily calendar month configuration as this month and our wedding day in 1973, we were stopped at traffic light. Driver of car that hit us said he bent down to pick-up cigarette and DID NOT APPLY BRAKES. Since no brakes were applied, front of the car went over our bumper and into our trunk and we proceeded down the road for 200 feet joined together. Speed limit is 55mph and in the fast lane most everyone is 55+.

Last week we were returning to our cruise ship from a shore excursion to Emerald Lake, Yukon, Canada
on the Klondike Highway when the driver dozed off. A front seat passenger grabbed the wheel as the bus drifted right and slightly down. Corrected left crossing over center then right with a final left to get bus straight.