Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

MUPs, pedestrians walk against bikes

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MUPs, pedestrians walk against bikes

Old 06-11-18, 07:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
would love to see it in action
Old 06-11-18, 07:47 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I just rode on Rhode Island bike paths for the first time this weekend (rode down through Mass. from NH). RI has pedestrians walk on the left side of the MUP and bikes on the right side. It's the first time I've experienced this system and I've got to say I found it vastly superior to having both on the right side of the path. The pedestrians on my side of the path could see me coming and see what I was doing to avoid them. I didn't have to say "on your left" anywhere for 15+ miles and I never startled anyone or had them step out in front of me.

I'm new here, so excuse me if this has been discussed before, but are there other places that do it the RI way? Having seen it in action, and having had to cope with the chaos of bike paths in Mass., it just seems to me it ought to be the system everywhere.

Thoughts?
Here it's both and it's a mess. Personally, I walk on the left side of MUPs and road so I see what's coming toward me. I hate it (well, might be too strong a word but) when I have to walk on a sidewalk that goes the same direction as traffic.
Old 06-11-18, 08:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
My bike club did the Blackstone path this past Saturday. I've never seen it so empty so that isn't really a good test case.

I'm in the process of planning a rail trail and I've been trying to figure out which pedestrian pattern is better. So far, I can't see much difference. You're either passing pedestrians coming toward you by moving left or you're passing pedestrians who are going the same direction you are by remaining right. In the latter case, don't you still need to say "passing on your right"?

The problem I see with the "pedestrians keep right" rule is that most people are more accustomed to walking on the right side. Even this past Saturday, we saw plenty of people using both sides of the path.

One benefit of the people walking towards the cyclists was that they were more likely to step completely off the path as we approached. Bottom line, though, I don't see much difference either way.
Interesting! I did think it was kind of empty. Thing is I live in Nashua, and the Nashua River Rail Trail normally has about that level of traffic, and it definitely seemed easier to deal with pedestrians who could see me coming. I find the light traffic seems to lull pedestrians into not looking out behind them when they meander around.
Old 06-11-18, 08:21 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
There are no MUP's in Rhode Island. They are built and operated as bike paths. They are modeled after the road, where walkers should walk on the left side of the road facing cars. On the road bikes go the same direction as the cars. The first paths were built before the neighboring states had MUP's. Now at one point the path in RI is getting close to meeting a Mass MUP. Not a good arrangement but it's too late. I spend a little time on these paths every week year round, as I ride to the road so I can get some real exercise without having to stop and slow down all the time. Or just ride in the snow and ice away from cars. Since around 1991 I think.
There signs all over the place, on posts and painted on the ground with arrows etc. A few people follow the rules but mostly it's a confused mess. No better or worse than an MUP, just different. Sometimes I need to stop directly in front of peds coming at me because they don't know what to do. Some times they go to their right smack into cyclist passing on the peds right from behind.

The path from Providence out to Conn. can be ridden three towns into Conn. if you have a mountain bike. And can ride or walk sand mud, water, and some rocks. A few very interesting bridges one huge train trestle to ride over.
Old 06-11-18, 08:29 PM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Is that the Washington bike path? Can you provide more details? The Yelp reviews were pretty old but they were mediocre at best. Is there plenty of parking at the Cranston end? Is it well maintained? Good scenery? Places to eat? Crowded on the weekend?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can park at the Police station in Cranston.

The Cranston end has places where tree roots have bubbled up the pavement, a sewage treatment plant and is kind of trashy. Not terrible just meh...

Things get better as you head west. You pass some old factories, one is a soap plant and smells like lavender, then on to Coventry which is nice. The trail gets smoother, fewer road crossings, less trash and prettier scenery.

Food will be easier to find near the Cranston end (Weinorama!) but there will be places to stop in Coventry.

The trail does continue into Sterling all the way to Moosup CT. The further you go over the RI line the more challenging things become as the trail turns to gravel, sand, a bare bridge, rail ballast, mud......
Old 06-11-18, 09:00 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
would love to see it in action
No you wouldn't.
Old 06-11-18, 09:02 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by rangie
You can park at the Police station in Cranston.

The Cranston end has places where tree roots have bubbled up the pavement, a sewage treatment plant and is kind of trashy. Not terrible just meh...

Things get better as you head west. You pass some old factories, one is a soap plant and smells like lavender, then on to Coventry which is nice. The trail gets smoother, fewer road crossings, less trash and prettier scenery.

Food will be easier to find near the Cranston end (Weinorama!) but there will be places to stop in Coventry.

The trail does continue into Sterling all the way to Moosup CT. The further you go over the RI line the more challenging things become as the trail turns to gravel, sand, a bare bridge, rail ballast, mud......
It's not as much fun, but all the obstacles can be avoided by going on the road for a bit.
Old 06-11-18, 10:20 PM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Seems like the pedestrian counter-flow (left side) method would work fine if there's not too much traffic so you don't encounter pedestrians on both sides simultaneously or if there's room (and a custom) for the pedestrians to temporarily step off the path. But with higher traffic density I could see an issue where you have pedestrians coming toward you and no where for either you or the pedestrians to avoid each other and therefore both having to come to a complete stop until the pedestrians or cyclists on the other side move out of the way.

At least when everyone stays to the right there's always the option for the cyclist (or runner) to temporarily slow down to the pedestrian speed while waiting for a passing opportunity. In practice I find that I can almost always make slight adjustments to my speed so as to time my passing of slower MUP traffic for a moment when there's no oncoming traffic. I think that would be harder on a heavily used trail with pedestrian counter-flow.
Old 06-12-18, 07:53 AM
2manybikes

Is that the Washington bike path? Can you provide more details? The Yelp reviews were pretty old but they were mediocre at best. Is there plenty of parking at the Cranston end? Is it well maintained? Good scenery? Places to eat? Crowded on the weekend?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Maps, parking, bike shops, food, etc,

Bike Rhode Island - Rhode Island Rhode Island Department of Transportation

The East Bay Bike path is more scenic and more things to see, Narragansett Bay, but only about 14.2 miles long.
Old 06-12-18, 01:20 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I agree more food choices in Cranston, as you go into Coventry (well marked and a little over 13 miles for that segment) there is an ice cream place called Skips (Coventry MM10-ish) with a breakfast place next to it. If you head out in the morning that will be about 18-20 miles from the start, so a great time for breakfast. Then you can push on for another 10-15 and hit ice cream on the way back There is a pine tree woodsy feeling with a series of lakes along the trail, just the opposite from EB. Blackstone is more elm/maple woods. Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-18, 02:08 PM
rangie

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
It's not as much fun, but all the obstacles can be avoided by going on the road for a bit.
I'm good with the obstacles. 😁
Old 06-12-18, 02:14 PM
rangie

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Maps, parking, bike shops, food, etc,

Bike Rhode Island - Rhode Island Rhode Island Department of Transportation

The East Bay Bike path is more scenic and more things to see, Narragansett Bay, but only about 14.2 miles long.
The one between Kingston Station and the beach in Naragansett is really nice. Smooth, scenic, good side trails, minimal and safe road segments, food and beer along the way if that's your thing.
Old 06-12-18, 06:24 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
This thread pretty much details why I dislike MUP's.
Old 06-12-18, 07:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It is courteous to announce your passing from behind whether the pedestrians are walking on the right or on the left.

I've had pedestrians on one side of a 20' bike path suddenly dart across the entire path without looking.

I've had an old lady with a walker turn and swing the walker directly into my path.
Yep. You just gotta slow, announce your presence and be prepared to react. I pass everyone with minimal speed differential.
Old 06-12-18, 07:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
This thread pretty much details why I dislike MUP's.
I love our MUPs. Most of them that is. Not all MUPs are created equal.
Old 06-13-18, 02:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
yesterday I was taking some pics of a lake on my right side, w a hand held camera, rolling slowly on my side of the trail, when a guy coming from the opposite direction shouted "heads up" 3 times. I immediately thought I wandered over to "their" side, so I quickly scooted more to my side. my cam was on time-lapse, so before I turned it off, I got this frame of him. if he had time to shout 3 times didn't he also have time to brake & fall back behind his co-rider? they weren't going fast either. maybe the other person was an older guy, maybe his Dad? maybe this guy was being protective? not saying he was wrong to shout out to me, but was surprised to see his trail position

Old 06-13-18, 03:16 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yesterday I was taking some pics of a lake on my right side, w a hand held camera, rolling slowly on my side of the trail, when a guy coming from the opposite direction shouted "heads up" 3 times.
Usually when I see someone taking a photo I go out of my way to avoid messing up their shot. I'd probably have just quietly slowed down and moved over and slid on by.
Old 06-13-18, 10:51 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This would be so much easier if the primitives were banned from hard surfaces until they evolve enough to use wheels. Tell them it's better for their knees to stick to grass and dirt.