Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Drawback to too big tires?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Drawback to too big tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 08:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
So the bike I'm currently prepping came with 40mm Schwalbe Marathon. They feel decent, definitely plush, just wondering if there is a drawback to going big. Most of my bikes have/have had 32-35mm tires, which I enjoy, but these things look monstrous and too far in the fat direction.
First, consider what the difference between 40mm, 37mm and 35mm tires are. 3, 2 and 5mm. 5mm isn't even a quarter of an inch. 3mm is just shy of 1/8" and 2mm is just shy of 1/16". Are those really that large a difference? Going from a 40mm to a 37mm is a trivial volume difference. Going from 40mm to 35mm is still trivial.

Consider the difference at the contact patch which is the only place it really matters. A 3mm change in height is like adding a nickel under your tire. Is it really that radical a change?

Besides weight, is there any practicable drawback to a bigger tire? I've also got a new set of Conti Top Contacts in a 37 (which come out far closer to my 35 Clement USH than these 40 Marathons) I'm considering tossing on, but if there is no drawback I'll probably just run these into thr ground
I'm not sure the weight difference is going to be all that great either. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about the crappy performance of the Continentals. I've had far too many problems with Continentals...including getting stranded at a campground in Atlanta, Texas after the 4th blowout in the first 26 miles of a tour (see Twisting Down the Alley) below. A Bell tire from Helmart is better...and I've had to use one to replace yet another Continental failure.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
What inner width do you have on your rims. Some rim manufacturers make wild claims like one of their rims will work fantastic on any tire from 23 to 57mm wide. But I think the chart on teh bottom of this page is the best chart out there.
Tire Sizing Systems
Sheldon Brown's chart is very conservative. In my opinion, too conservative.

I unfortunately have a set of rims that the manufacturer claimed would be good for up to 57 mm. And the dealer said they were the best rims you could buy for an expedition bike so I bought them thinking that the dealer had a clue. Unfortunately, the dealer had no clue, the rims are 19 mm wide (inner width) and the bike handles terribly if I try to run the 57 mm tires at low pressure because the rim is too narrow. The chart for 19 mm width says my tire should be no more than 44 mm wide.
How does the bike handle and what pressures are you using? I regularly run 2.2" mountain bike tires on 17mm rims at 40 to 45psi on the rear (with and without rear suspension) with 50 to 55 psi on the front (with and without a suspension fork) and have never had any kind of handling issues either on- or off-road. I know that current fashion is to run tires with stupidly low pressures but I've never found flat tires to give a desirable ride and I like my rims. I corner hard on both pavement and off-road and never found that wide a tire on that narrow a rim with that pressure to have "handling" problems.

That's also the pressure I use for bikepacking.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-12-18, 08:31 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Smaller ones are easier to carry a spare tire/tube.

Inner tubes for fat bikes, as an example, are rather substantial,
But the tires themselves fold.
Not planning on carrying a spare this trip, but when I do, it is a cheap folding generic sized one I got off the Wal-Mart clearance rack for $1. Mostly just concerned with something that'll get me to a shop to buy a proper replacement that doesn't take up too much room.
Old 06-12-18, 08:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK, OTOH, I brought 3rd of same , sidewall casing failure, 3 months in,
I left that one on a farm in southwest Scotland.
Old 06-12-18, 08:43 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
It is rotating, but it only really "matters" in acceleration and deceleration....
I think you are missing the dynamics of rotating weight. It's always accelerating (deceleration is only negative acceleration). Pick a point on the wheel. Move it. The spokes put force on the wheel to pull that point into a different direction. That's the "external force" acting on that point of the wheel. The point accelerates away from the straight line. And it just keeps on accelerating which means you have to keep adding force to keep the wheel moving.

You also have to consider that we don't live and ride in a vacuum so we are always punching a hole in the air. The act of moving the air out of the way is another acceleration...well, deceleration, that we have to keep putting energy into overcoming. There also some frictional forces which are mostly trivial.

And then there is gravity. Every hill is an acceleration to lift yourself up it. Yea, we get a bit of a freebie on the other side but that's paid for.

We are constantly accelerating on a bike when we ride. Weight makes a difference.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-12-18, 08:56 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
. And it just keeps on accelerating which means you have to keep adding force to keep the wheel moving.

The tension in the spoke is the constant force, not the force from the pedals.
A satellite in space doesn't need a constant tangential force to keep rotating around the earth , only the "tension" from gravity.
Old 06-12-18, 09:58 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I think you are missing the dynamics of rotating weight. It's always accelerating (deceleration is only negative acceleration). Pick a point on the wheel. Move it. The spokes put force on the wheel to pull that point into a different direction. That's the "external force" acting on that point of the wheel. The point accelerates away from the straight line. And it just keeps on accelerating which means you have to keep adding force to keep the wheel moving.

You also have to consider that we don't live and ride in a vacuum so we are always punching a hole in the air. The act of moving the air out of the way is another acceleration...well, deceleration, that we have to keep putting energy into overcoming. There also some frictional forces which are mostly trivial.

And then there is gravity. Every hill is an acceleration to lift yourself up it. Yea, we get a bit of a freebie on the other side but that's paid for.

We are constantly accelerating on a bike when we ride. Weight makes a difference.
No I really don't have to consider it, in the context of touring. The aerodynamic difference between a 35mm and a 45mm tire is moot IRL...because the difference in aerodynamics is orders of magnitude smaller than the drag of the rest of the system....unaerodynamic things like panniers and racks--never mind the rider.

If you're worried about winning a crit or a TT or any race, you'd have a point. Marginal gains everywhere. But people hauling 50 lbs of non-aerodynamic luggage like sleeping bags and tents and panniers don't care much.
Old 06-12-18, 10:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Not planning on carrying a spare this trip, but when I do, it is a cheap folding generic sized one I got off the Wal-Mart clearance rack for $1. Mostly just concerned with something that'll get me to a shop to buy a proper replacement that doesn't take up too much room.
That is also my theory of a spare tire on a tour, one that will get you to the next bike shop to buy a better one.

But I carry my lightest smallest (folded volume) one regardless of cost. Since it is unlikely to be used, it lives in a zip lock in the bottom of a rear pannier.
Old 06-12-18, 10:06 AM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first long tour included riding on hundreds of miles of varied pavement with a lot of tarred surface cracks.
Each tarred over crack stuck up above the normal road surface. I was very glad I had 2" mb tires on rather than
my usual 32's because I was carrying 50 lbs of gear. I don't remember the brand name, but they had a narrow
solid center which helped me attain my highest touring average of 85 miles a day on tours of over 1000 miles,
so I don't think using wide tires designed for pavement use as well as off road are going to slow you down that much.
Old 06-12-18, 10:47 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by boomhauer
The tension in the spoke is the constant force, not the force from the pedals.
And? Yes, the tension from the spoke is the force pulling any given point from a straight line into a circular path. That still means that any given point on the wheel at any given time is experiencing acceleration. Without force from the pedals, the wheel stops.

Originally Posted by boomhauer
A satellite in space doesn't need a constant tangential force to keep rotating around the earth , only the "tension" from gravity.
Entirely different system. The satellite has reached sufficient speed that it misses the earth when it starts to fall back down. The earth is pulling it down but it keeps missing the earth. Because it is moving in a vacuum, it continues until such time as something changes the speed.

Old 06-12-18, 10:48 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I think I started with tires in the mid 30s, and when they wore out, tried 32s, but they gave a harsher ride, in my opinion, so I went back to my old size, and eventually switched to 40s. Then, in order to go fatter, I got a different bike. Now I'm on 2.15 Almotions (55mm), and apart from the tires being a little stiff, I'm very happy with them. My other wheelset is 2.5" ETs, and I'd probably use them on any trip that had a significant amount of unpaved travel. Rode them down the GAP last year, and they were great, but the rims don't fit in my S&S case and tires preclude me from using the bus rack, which I sometimes take advantage of.

What I've found is that wider means I can get away with lower pressure, which can offer significant improvements in ride quality on any non-paved surface. Tread and tire suppleness play into comfort a lot, too. My ETs are pretty buzzy on pavement stretchs but still roll fairly well because they are supple. Meanwhile the Almotions are great of pavement, but I think it's only because I'm running them tubeless that they're supple enough for comfort on other surfaces.

For me, I'm always happy to go with wide tires, but that's not the only factor. I only enjoy a stiff tire on pavement, and I'll still take a supple tire there if I can get it.
Old 06-12-18, 10:51 AM
cyccommute 

No I really don't have to consider it, in the context of touring. The aerodynamic difference between a 35mm and a 45mm tire is moot IRL...because the difference in aerodynamics is orders of magnitude smaller than the drag of the rest of the system....unaerodynamic things like panniers and racks--never mind the rider.

If you're worried about winning a crit or a TT or any race, you'd have a point. Marginal gains everywhere. But people hauling 50 lbs of non-aerodynamic luggage like sleeping bags and tents and panniers don't care much.
I wasn't addressing the aerodynamic force on the tires but the aerodynamic force on the rider/bike system. We are always accelerating against it. That's work we have to put into the system and any extra weight, especially rotating weight, is weight we have to accelerate through the air which makes us work harder. We're already working harder than those TT guys and racers.

Old 06-12-18, 11:16 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=cyccommute;20390391. Without force from the pedals, the wheel stops.

Entirely different system. The satellite has reached sufficient speed that it misses the earth when it starts to fall back down. The earth is pulling it down but it keeps missing the earth. Because it is moving in a vacuum, it continues until such time as something changes the speed.[/QUOTE]

Once the wheel is in motion it stays in motion.....no matter how much it weighs.......(in a frictionless world).

A satellite stays in motion ....no matter how much it weights....

You seem like an educated dude.......I hope your boss doesn't see this post.
Old 06-12-18, 11:35 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I've probably mentioned this before, but I think wider tires give a much better, albeit slower ride. My ECR is awesome for what it was designed, but its sad on pavement. The large diameter Cupacabras float over potholes and cracks like they aren't even there, but rolling resistance gets to me on longer trip intervals. If the ECR were an Ogre, and I was rolling some 2.0" Schwalbes, I'd be flying.
Old 06-12-18, 12:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The spokes aren't required for a rim to experience centripetal acceleration. They're merely required to connect a bicycle to the rim. A rim can spin just fine without being attached to any spokes.

But more importantly, the centripetal acceleration just redirects the motion along a circular path and causes no change in speed. Even though the velocities of points on the rim are constantly changing their direction, this doesn't change the energy of the wheel system, so no forces need to be applied to the wheel to keep it rotating.

You also have to consider that we don't live and ride in a vacuum so we are always punching a hole in the air. The act of moving the air out of the way is another acceleration...
Moving air out of the way is drag. The extent to which the wheel accelerates in response depends on the net forces on the bike. Obviously some amount of microaccelerations are inevitable, due to variations in drags and the uneven force application through the pedal stroke. But when riding steady, this doesn't really increase the impact of heavy wheels. Heavy wheels do accelerate slower, but they also decelerate slower, so the amplitude of microaccelerations is made smaller.
Old 06-12-18, 12:48 PM
jefnvk

First, consider what the difference between 40mm, 37mm and 35mm tires are. 3, 2 and 5mm. 5mm isn't even a quarter of an inch. 3mm is just shy of 1/8" and 2mm is just shy of 1/16". Are those really that large a difference? Going from a 40mm to a 37mm is a trivial volume difference. Going from 40mm to 35mm is still trivial.

Consider the difference at the contact patch which is the only place it really matters. A 3mm change in height is like adding a nickel under your tire. Is it really that radical a change?

I'm not sure the weight difference is going to be all that great either. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about the crappy performance of the Continentals. I've had far too many problems with Continentals...including getting stranded at a campground in Atlanta, Texas after the 4th blowout in the first 26 miles of a tour (see Twisting Down the Alley) below. A Bell tire from Helmart is better...and I've had to use one to replace yet another Continental failure.
Theoretically it should only be a negligible amount of difference, but in this case it is a very visible difference. As far as manufacturers, I remember from another thread that I can find folks on here that have had bad experiences with nearly any tire brand. Heck, one thread I found while trying to look these up claimed they had so many flats on the Marathons they went to Contis

But I carry my lightest smallest (folded volume) one regardless of cost. Since it is unlikely to be used, it lives in a zip lock in the bottom of a rear pannier.
Yeah, there's smaller out there, this is just what I had and I'm not saving all that much more space going to a 23. Not to mention, if I have already cut down a touring tire, I don't really mind the next tire going on there is a bit thicker kevlar one. Am amazed how small some of those 23s are folded up!

​​​​​​​Yeah, not worried about aero. I figure taking off bags would take care of more aero issues than running narrower tires.
Old 06-12-18, 02:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
jef, which marathons are they? Regular ones or the plus ones?
As for running them into the ground, I have a pair of regular marathons that must have 10,000kms on them and they still look reasonable.
Old 06-12-18, 05:50 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by djb
jef, which marathons are they? Regular ones or the plus ones?
As for running them into the ground, I have a pair of regular marathons that must have 10,000kms on them and they still look reasonable.
Regular, I believe. Dont see plus or mondial or supreme anywhere.
Old 06-12-18, 06:38 PM
L134 

Bikes: 1978 Bruce Gordon, 1977 Lippy, 199? Lippy tandem, Bike Friday NWT, 1982 Trek 720, 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 1983 Bianchi Specialissima?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 107 Posts
With my handlebar bag on, I can’t see my 50mm Mondials and my bike feels just as fast as another. Without the handlebar bag, I’m staring down at that fat sucker and my bike feels like a snail. I’ve concluded riding with my handlebar bag is faster than without.
Old 06-12-18, 10:17 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
With my handlebar bag on, I can’t see my 50mm Mondials and my bike feels just as fast as another. Without the handlebar bag, I’m staring down at that fat sucker and my bike feels like a snail. I’ve concluded riding with my handlebar bag is faster than without.
Can't argue with logic like that
Old 06-13-18, 05:00 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
So the bike I'm currently prepping came with 40mm Schwalbe Marathon. They feel decent, definitely plush, just wondering if there is a drawback to going big. Most of my bikes have/have had 32-35mm tires, which I enjoy, but these things look monstrous and too far in the fat direction.

Besides weight, is there any practicable drawback to a bigger tire? I've also got a new set of Conti Top Contacts in a 37 (which come out far closer to my 35 Clement USH than these 40 Marathons) I'm considering tossing on, but if there is no drawback I'll probably just run these into thr ground
While differences in size of the same model of tire are noticeable you may find bigger differences between different models. I had 40mm Schwalbe Mondials on my CrossCheck and they feel like truck tires compared to 38 mm AlMotion.
Old 06-13-18, 05:48 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG

While differences in size of the same model of tire are noticeable you may find bigger differences between different models. I had 40mm Schwalbe Mondials on my CrossCheck and they feel like truck tires compared to 38 mm AlMotion.
Good point. Similarly, there's no comparison between my 25mm Schwalbe Marathon beasts and my swift 25mm Gatorskins. They're nominally the same size, but they're different tires for different uses. (When I supported my wife on her Katy ride. She started out with her favorite Gatorskins, but soon gladly switched to the Marathons.)
Old 06-13-18, 06:58 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
You'd be well served with fat tires. It's interesting that while racers are going as fat as they can fit on their bikes, tourers are still in the skinny is better mode.
Here is a link to an interesting article. Fast fat tired
Old 06-13-18, 08:20 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
Makes sense to me. When I switched from 700x40 to 26 x 2.15, I was always in danger of running into things because I was mesmerized by my fat, front tire. When I put my 2.5" ETs on, forget about it. My commute time, however, remained pretty consistent.
Old 06-13-18, 09:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Makes sense to me. When I switched from 700x40 to 26 x 2.15, I was always in danger of running into things because I was mesmerized by my fat, front tire. When I put my 2.5" ETs on, forget about it. My commute time, however, remained pretty consistent.
Agree on travel time being comparable. I used to have two sets of wheels for a 700c touring bike. One set had heavy duty rims for touring, 37mm wide tires, etc. And one set were 25mm, high pressure, thin tread with supple casings. The 25mm tires felt unbelievably faster, but when I got home after a 20 mile ride the 25mm tires resulted in about a 3 percent reduction in moving time. I consider a 3 percent difference to be not much more than round off error.
Old 06-13-18, 10:07 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by gerryl
You'd be well served with fat tires. It's interesting that while racers are going as fat as they can fit on their bikes, tourers are still in the skinny is better mode.
Here is a link to an interesting article. Fast fat tired
I don't know if it is so much tourers are looking for skinny, my question was more of a "at what point is big too big?". I see the virtues of fatter regularly talked about here. TBH, if I didn't have these or the Contis lying around, I'd probably buy another set of my 35mm Clement USH for this, not exactly lightweight tires themselves. Just more wondering at what point, if any, you really started hitting practical differences.

Also, interestingly enough, when I went to look for a rim size (none stamped that I could find), I notice these are also stamped both 40-622 and 700x38, so not even sure which they really are. I'll give them a go though, worst case I take them off after a few weeks.

Last edited by jefnvk; 06-13-18 at 10:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.