Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

S Bag Frame in a T Bag

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

S Bag Frame in a T Bag

Old 06-14-18, 07:57 PM
Quiksetz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S Bag Frame in a T Bag

I just ordered a 2018 S6L Black Edition and couldn't be more excited! I'm a big fan of the T bag but I don't like how the M bars look and really wanted the S bar. I was curious if any has done this or had the ability to try this out. But I was wondering if it's possible to to swap out the T bag frame with an S bag frame and use it with the S handle bars.
Old 06-14-18, 11:52 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiksetz
But I was wondering if it's possible to to swap out the T bag frame with an S bag frame and use it with the S handle bars.
It is and it is a good idea to do this if you want to use a t-bag on a Brompton with a S-bar. The handle grip sits a couple of cms lower, when in the bag it is just reachable for your hands (with minimal lower comfort). The big advantage is, that the grip will not conflict with the cables as it does with the grip of the original frame in combination with the S-bar.
Old 06-15-18, 08:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
cautionary issue is, can you turn the handlebars over the filled bag, and not hit, or snag
it with the brake levers?

The T bag is hanging from the top of the frame tube shoulder. and

the velcro straps on the bottom, pull it tight around the frame.

the frame is 30cm./11.5" tall S bag frame is shorter
(I dont have one to measure for you )

so, I expect the T bag will drape somewhat loosely around the shorter S frame.
how do you plan to make up the height difference?

perhaps get their S bag, frame included, and make up for the missing volume, with a big Carradice saddle bag..

for my size, the height of the M bar is right,
You, OTOH, consider looks more important.... OK

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-15-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 01:31 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
cautionary issue is, can you turn the handlebars over the filled bag, and not hit, or snag
it with the brake levers?
This is not and has never been an issue with the T-Bag and the S-bar, not even with the original frame.

The T bag is hanging from the top of the frame tube shoulder. and
the velcro straps on the bottom, pull it tight around the frame.
the frame is 30cm./11.5" tall S bag frame is shorter
(I dont have one to measure for you )
so, I expect the T bag will drape somewhat loosely around the shorter S frame.
how do you plan to make up the height difference?
Did you try it? The problem that you are describing does not exist in practice.

perhaps get their S bag, frame included, and make up for the missing volume, with a big Carradice saddle bag..
for my size, the height of the M bar is right,
You, OTOH, consider looks more important.... OK
Obviously when someone asks for the T-Bag hinting him to the S-Bag seems like a bad advice. Good to know that for your size the M bar is right, but totally irrelevant for the topic apart from the fact that you seem to lack experience with the topic.

The Carradice saddlebags are fine but not a replacement for the T-Bag. It is a second piece of luggage and it does neither go off as quickly nor does it help with the bike standing stable with the luggage attached in folded mode or with just the rear wheel folded. On longer trips I often use both combined - T-Bag and Carradice Camper long flap - offers a serious amount of space together.

BTW: It may be worth noting that the bag and the frame can be bought separately from Brompton, thus it is possible to avoid buying the large frame that you do not need bundled together with the bag. Alternatively you can cut off the handle off the large frame and replace it with a homemade soft handle - solves the issue as well but makes the positioning of the bag on the bike slightly less comfy (but still ok). You could alternatively also try to bend the handle slightly forward, using a hot air vent. Should in theory also help but I never tried that.

Other than that it is possible to use the bigger frame as it is but Brompton does not recommend it for a reason. One issue is that the cables will rub on the handle and, over time, the outer brake cables becoming defective in that area, resulting in a sudden and undesired loss of brake power with the factory fitted jagwire cables. You can avoid that by taping the cables using duck tape in the affected areas. The other issue with the big frame on the S-Bar is, that in sharp corners the brake cables may get cought by the handle and you may loose the ability to steer and be locked in cornering mode as long as you do not manually free them again. Happens rarely but when it happens it is no fun. Been there done that.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 06-17-18 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 01:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Measure and reply... How high is the sides of an S bag frame, in inches or MM ?
Old 06-17-18, 08:25 PM
kahuna100

Bikes: Brompton S3L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame is 10", 10 1/4" over the plastic bits exclusive of the handle.
Old 06-18-18, 10:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

OK so about 1,5" shorter, so if that does not matter then it won't, if it does it will..