Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone know of any good deals on some good pre-built clinchers?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-18-18, 12:56 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

So i had a rather serious crash this past Monday that sent me to the hospital...and my bike took some pretty serious damage as well. My rear wheel is done for..the wheels i have on three are Easton EA 90 slx and they're great wheels, but i got a great on them and a single replacement wheel is just too much.

So I'm wondering if anyone has seen any deals recently on some good clinchers.
​​​​​​Thank you
Old 06-18-18, 06:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Define Good?

Do you want aero, lightweight, aluminum, carbon, budget?
Old 06-18-18, 10:07 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Well, lightweight, preferably Aluminum.. similar to the Easton EA90 SLX I had on there. Loved those wheels. I got them 50% off... got lucky and scored them for around $600 for the set so preferably in that range. I'm not picky, I'll take 'last years model" on clearance.. I'm hesitant to go all carbon because I'm a good 187lbs. and rim brakes.

I'm just looking for a good sale/deal like I got with the Eastons. I'm a disabled vet, so I don't have a big budget.

Good.. Means a good wheel for all around riding.. rolls well. I'm in no rush, I'll be unable to ride probably most of this season if not all season. I don't want to just rush out and buy some lesser wheel at full-price just because it's in my budget.

Last edited by motosonic; 06-18-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-18-18, 10:09 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Velomine.com
Old 06-18-18, 10:38 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
someone linked these about a week ago and it seems like great deal. I don't know a lot about these wheels though\

Fulcrum Racing Zero
Old 06-18-18, 08:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Campagnol Zonda or Fulcrun Racing 3 from any of the big UK sellers. Great wheels. A bit more weight, a better price, yet on the road they ride really well.

Fulcrum Racing 3

Campagnolo Zonda<br/>

For a little more aero, a little more weight, and a much better price you may want to consider the Campagnolo Scirocco or Fulcrum Quattro.

Campagnolo Scirocco

Fulcrum Quattro

I'm a disabled vet too and weigh around 10 more lbs than you. The wheels have held up just fine under me despite the rough, cracked, chipseal roads I do my miles on. None of them have ever needed so much as a spoke tweaked yet.
Old 06-18-18, 08:54 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I've got a pair of EA 90 SLX I'm not currently using, if interested PM me. 10 speed shimano.
Old 06-19-18, 08:03 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I've got a pair of EA 90 SLX I'm not currently using, if interested PM me. 10 speed shimano.
can that hub be upgraded to 11 speed?
thank you!
Old 06-19-18, 08:08 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Campagnol Zonda or Fulcrun Racing 3 from any of the big UK sellers. Great wheels. A bit more weight, a better price, yet on the road they ride really well.

Fulcrum Racing 3

Campagnolo Zonda<br/>

For a little more aero, a little more weight, and a much better price you may want to consider the Campagnolo Scirocco or Fulcrum Quattro.

Campagnolo Scirocco

Fulcrum Quattro

I'm a disabled vet too and weigh around 10 more lbs than you. The wheels have held up just fine under me despite the rough, cracked, chipseal roads I do my miles on. None of them have ever needed so much as a spoke tweaked yet.
The Fulcrum Racing 3 look good. Seem to be a bit heavier than the Easton's, bu i'm definitely putting them on the short list.
thank you
Old 06-19-18, 02:59 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Lightly used from MyBikeShop.com?

https://mybikeshop.com/products/2017...-wheelset.html

They have a few other options as well for $500 or under, but those are Eastons like your old wheels and WI hubs are better than the factory hubs you'll find in this range.

https://mybikeshop.com/products/3t-o...wheel-set.html
https://mybikeshop.com/products/mavi...elite-ust.html
Old 06-19-18, 03:03 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Semi custom handbuilt like Novembers are a great choice https://novemberbicycles.com/products/fsw3
Old 06-19-18, 06:35 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
thank you both. these are all good options.
Old 06-19-18, 07:45 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
can that hub be upgraded to 11 speed?
thank you!
I don't think so.
Old 06-20-18, 02:51 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I don't think so.
Ahh. Bummer
Old 06-21-18, 07:57 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Semi custom handbuilt like Novembers are a great choice https://novemberbicycles.com/products/fsw3
Thank you. I'm really starting to like these. Not many 'reviews' out there though.. so that's my only hesitation. A positive review from even one of the cyclists I know would go a long way. Definitely on my short list though. Trying to see if there's anything Easton can do.
Old 06-21-18, 08:15 AM
redlude97

Thank you. I'm really starting to like these. Not many 'reviews' out there though.. so that's my only hesitation. A positive review from even one of the cyclists I know would go a long way. Definitely on my short list though. Trying to see if there's anything Easton can do.
that particular wheel is relatively new which is why there aren't a lot of reviews, but their old fsw23 would give you an idea of build quality etc. The rim is a kinlin xr31t which you can find lots of reviews on and are used by lots of custom builders like Hunt and I believe Boyd as well. The hubs and spokes speak for themselves, both top notch. I don't personally have any experience with them but the owner November Dave frequents these boards and posts a bit and will answer questions.
Old 06-21-18, 08:30 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
that particular wheel is relatively new which is why there aren't a lot of reviews, but their old fsw23 would give you an idea of build quality etc. The rim is a kinlin xr31t which you can find lots of reviews on and are used by lots of custom builders like Hunt and I believe Boyd as well. The hubs and spokes speak for themselves, both top notch. I don't personally have any experience with them but the owner November Dave frequents these boards and posts a bit and will answer questions.
yeah Dave and I have chatted in the past. I almost had him build a set of HED Belgiums for me but I found the Eastons first. I may re-engage him if Easton cannot help me. I'm a disabled vet so budget is very important that's why I'm bargain hunting.lol
thank you for the information, this is really good to know. I wonder if I can choose an alternate color for the November logo? not a fan of the red, lol
Old 06-21-18, 08:41 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Use code 25now for a 25% discount. I have their tubular wheels and they're built really nice.

Pro / Racing
Old 06-21-18, 08:45 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Those November wheels are identical to the "Ventus Premium" wheelset from ProWheelBuilder.com, which are $575, and you can specialize the build for spoke count, type of spoke, hub color, etc. Or you can save a bunch of money by going with Bitex hubs (the "standard" wheelset is $370,) and put that money somewhere else (upgrade spokes, if that's your thing.) I just got my second set of Ventus Standard wheels from ProWheelBuilder, absolutely zero complaints. I can't bring myself to spring for White Industries when I have +10k miles on Bitex hubs and they spin like new. I could completely replace the hubs several times over and still be ahead.
Old 06-21-18, 08:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Generally ordering wheels built at wholesale level are built with parts at their cost,
and the shop you buy from hand checks them after shipping to the shop ..
Old 06-21-18, 08:50 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you both. I'll look into both options. I think I've seen a few of the folks I know on Ventus wheels.
Ultimately, I need to wait for all my medical claims to roll in and see if I can even afford anything.. but I have lots....of time to do research.. ands my season may very well be over..so keep the great ideas coming.
Old 06-21-18, 01:57 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Those November wheels are identical to the "Ventus Premium" wheelset from ProWheelBuilder.com, which are $575, and you can specialize the build for spoke count, type of spoke, hub color, etc. Or you can save a bunch of money by going with Bitex hubs (the "standard" wheelset is $370,) and put that money somewhere else (upgrade spokes, if that's your thing.) I just got my second set of Ventus Standard wheels from ProWheelBuilder, absolutely zero complaints. I can't bring myself to spring for White Industries when I have +10k miles on Bitex hubs and they spin like new. I could completely replace the hubs several times over and still be ahead.
Once you add the CX-Ray spoke upgrade to the PWB wheels you are at $675 so the November wheels are cheaper.
Old 06-21-18, 04:00 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
i just bought shimano 120£$€ wheels from chain reaction. seems good enough. they have more spokes than the high end ones = good
pretty much all mass produced wheels are S anyway (i build muy own wheel usually)
Old 06-22-18, 06:44 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
I've got a set of the November Nimbus wheels and cannot say anything bad about them. They work just fine and I've had no problems with mine at all. But I will also say that since forking out all the money on them I've never bought another set. I have bought several of the Fulcrum Racing 3 and Zondas as well as a couple of pairs of the Sirocco's. I just didn't see on the road where the November wheels were giving me anything more over the cheaper wheels. That's just the reality of it for me. Every time I pickup another vintage bike and upgrade the wheels I just can't justify handbuilt wheels that cost more when they don't give me any added performance over other cheaper options. Just my two cents.
Old 06-22-18, 07:01 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I've got a set of the November Nimbus wheels and cannot say anything bad about them. They work just fine and I've had no problems with mine at all. But I will also say that since forking out all the money on them I've never bought another set. I have bought several of the Fulcrum Racing 3 and Zondas as well as a couple of pairs of the Sirocco's. I just didn't see on the road where the November wheels were giving me anything more over the cheaper wheels. That's just the reality of it for me. Every time I pickup another vintage bike and upgrade the wheels I just can't justify handbuilt wheels that cost more when they don't give me any added performance over other cheaper options. Just my two cents.
This is good information. Thank you. The good news here is that Easton is working with me and they believe they can repair my wheels. So, I may not even need a new set! Will cost me a little, but it's a fraction of the cost of a new set.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.